Which of your guns are really most important?

We had so much fun with the 5 gun thread lets play a new game. Here are the rules: You have a safe full of guns, and not a single round of ammo. You have plenty of bullets, powder, cases, and 1000 each of LRM, LR, SR, 209 and LP primers in your stash. The problem is Society has broken down overnight and you are unsafe at home. You will have to bug out to a remote location with your family in tow. You very well may have to walk a big part of the way with everything you need on both your and your wife's back. You have a wife and two small children that you will have to both protect and provide for. What do you load for and how much? Remember all the other stuff you will have to carry so what is really important to you? I would first choose a 22RF but that's against the rules, you have to load them and you don't have a lot of time.
This may sound cold as ice. (It's meant to) In the situation you describe, assuming one possesses the necessary End of Days skill sets to begin with, acceptance is perhaps your most fundamental and important ally. For me, in that scenario people become a food source and hardware store, nothing more. I'm taking a gun in a caliber that will allow me to engage other ppl beyond their range to engage me. Im taking a gun that will kill any animal or person I might engage with one well placed shot. I'm taking a gun in a caliber that is in the widest use and therefore represents ammo I'm likely to take off corpses. I'm taking a gun that allows me to engage and prevail in a fire fight. I'm taking a 12"-14" AR10/308 with a TB can and 6 mags. Since you didn't limit optics, I'm taking a 1-10 or ??-14x and an ATN clip on thermal optic. Mostly I'm taking a gun that affords me the ability to get more guns and ammunition.

Your scenario presumes I don't have 1000 rounds of everything loaded so:
308s load well on the Dillion 650. Pump out quik 500 rnds in an hour and go shopping or hunting, as it were.

We had so much fun with the 5 gun thread lets play a new game. Here are the rules: You have a safe full of guns, and not a single round of ammo. You have plenty of bullets, powder, cases, and 1000 each of LRM, LR, SR, 209 and LP primers in your stash. The problem is Society has broken down overnight and you are unsafe at home. You will have to bug out to a remote location with your family in tow. You very well may have to walk a big part of the way with everything you need on both your and your wife's back. You have a wife and two small children that you will have to both protect and provide for. What do you load for and how much? Remember all the other stuff you will have to carry so what is really important to you? I would first choose a 22RF but that's against the rules, you have to load them and you don't have a lot of time.

I believe taking a weapon you can readily find additional ammo for. 556 or 9mm would be in vast supply with neighbors and friends. Another good choice would be 44mag. Revolver and lever gun would cover most things I would think.

A 100 round won"t get you to far. To give ideal. My unit 3 Troops on line could expend 1.5 million rounds in less than 8hrs. I carried 45 18 round clips (810 Rounds)for my M-16 during my time in Vietnam. Plus my 1911, 3 clips, and hell of a lot grenades. You will need a scoped rifle, shotgun, and M-16, and possibly a 22. You will need to figure, who is with you, and what they can carry.

I would have to live somewhere else for suggested scenario. Small town of like largely minded people near abundant natural resources including farmland and livestock. I am making contacts with all known friends before thinking of bugging.
Change it to zombies and I pack the suppressed blackout with loading gear in the fishing boat, make my way across the river the "pirate" one of the sailboats that Yankees keep docked at the one of the marinas.

Feel like I wandered into a Glocktalk thread, where's the mall ninja when you need him. Hahaha

Something for you folks to consider. If you're not already living in your "bug-out" area and are well prepared in advance for a SHTF scenario.....you're likely SOL!

If you truly are concerned about a societal collapse or similar event.....you need to be preparing for and relocating (if necessary) "NOW"! If you wait until it happens.....you and your family's survival chances are near nothing.

Your location should be as far away as possible from, interstates, larger population bases, and in a very discrete, defensible location....located near people with similar goals and preparation!

If you think you can rely on game, think again. Tens of thousands of people will be competing for the game you want/need! Most game, livestock, ect. will be depleted within months. People will kill, and eat or carry what they can ....the rest will rot on the ground. In many areas, especially in areas such as mine.....fish will be gone in short order. The only reason we have fish is because of strict creel/size enforcement and numerous fish hatcheries! If you have a secluded pond....you may have a fighting chance of keeping a supply of fresh meat for your family.

If you do not have a large supply of long term storage foods and a means to plant/harvest many necessary survival foods.....you're already at a severe disadvantage! Having a large supply ( many yards) of manure can help your garden produce to it's fullest potential for many years. Having small animal traps, can provide a two-fold purpose. You can catch raccoons or rabbits that are raiding your garden..... saving your garden and providing another protein source.

Safe water!!!! With purification methods and/or tablets, you can get by for awhile. But, these will eventually fail or run out. Bad water killed a lot more travelers along the Oregon Trail than did anything else. You need either a safe water source or a means of long term water treatment!

Simple things like: seasonings, large quantities of salt, sugar, ect., medicines ( alcohol,peroxide, antibiotics, ect.), soaps, tooth brushes/paste, and sanitizing means (chlorine, ect ) will make life last much longer and much more pleasurable.

If you've planned ahead, and living at your "bug-out" location....you can have solar or wind produced electricity, a safe water supply, a prepared/producing garden, chickens/goats (somewhat self-sufficient), the aforementioned supplies, books (novels, encyclopedias, ect.) to help educate your children, while living in a warm, dry, hopefully secure home of relative comfort!

These are but a few things needed for long term survival. If you don't have or can't supply most of these things......you will become the people that you fear the most! JMO. memtb

I would have to live somewhere else for suggested scenario. Small town of like largely minded people near abundant natural resources including farmland and livestock. I am making contacts with all known friends before thinking of bugging.
Change it to zombies and I pack the suppressed blackout with loading gear in the fishing boat, make my way across the river the "pirate" one of the sailboats that Yankees keep docked at the one of the marinas.

Feel like I wandered into a Glocktalk thread, where's the mall ninja when you need him. Hahaha
No, I started this thread because we are all into precision rifles, and hunt with them. I'll bet or would have bet most of us have no use for a short range carbine. I was hoping the thread would show just how useful such a weapon is, and help us stand with our brothers who are fighting to keep them instead of letting them divide, splinter, and concor us. I am shocked, but shouldn't be. You all know a lot about guns. This was just for fun and to promote thought. I still say if this really happened, the safest place would be in a small town in rural flyover country. That's where I will be, and take my chances pooling resources and working together with a few good folks. If I die, at least it will be in good company, like the folks did at the Alamo. Too old to run, too proud to bow.

Last edited:
No worries at all. Got all my ammo staged along the route last spring. I'm carrying 100 rounds of .357, 100 rounds of .38 my wife carries and 100 rounds 300 H&H. Most of the other guns are already at the cabin and ammo is cached between here and Timbuktu.

No worries at all. Got all my ammo staged along the route last spring. I'm carrying 100 rounds of .357, 100 rounds of .38 my wife carries and 100 rounds 300 H&H. Most of the other guns are already at the cabin and ammo is cached between here and Timbuktu.
Impressive! 👌

Bottom line I'm taking my 18" 556 with the 1-8 scope. Yeah, yeah yeah ok I'm not as worried about hunting because preserving meat from larger animals without my fridge will be difficult. I will be trapping for food or my wife will shoot it with her bow. I will take the 18" AR because the 1000 rounds of ammo will be alot lighter. Also I can take more ammo off my dead enemies if heaven forbid I have that problem. Also it shoots green tip into 3" at 100yds. Everything else I put into it goes into less than 2" and alot goes into less than 1.5" if I wanted to hunt with it all animals die with a 556 round through the brain. Most animals have a brand larger than my group at 100yds. I know I can get within 100yds of any animal.

M1A in the sage stock, can load .308"s in a hurry and can take mule deer, elk, antelope or antifa's with one shot.
I got to use an M1A national match years ago when I was stationed with some Yanks in Nuidat Vietnam and had quite a bit of shooting with them - nice rifle - got it to print exactly the same as my issued rifle - an Australian heavy barrelled SLR in 308 - We cant own semi Autos in Australia as normal folk however you can with a special license - all our weapons have to be registered which doesn't pose a problem but it does give the cops power to seize weapons in crooks houses and charge them with possession
As law abiding hunters you can as many as you like as for me I have been a commercial hunter and have shot out a number of barrels on many different makes of rifle but now only own a few however a number of my colleges have 15 -20 different guns

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.