Which of your guns are really most important?

I agree completely. Don't you find it interesting that almost no one would choose to take those guns given the crowd here? Does that not regulate them to a hobby instead of a necessity?
The rules of this were I believe ONE (1) gun. Not 3 pistols, one for your wife, two ARs and a surgical hunting rifle and WALKING! Society has broken down! Means your threats will not be elk but likely your neighbor and their friends. If I was going to join a group of like minded folk the LR stuff goes but most gun fights are very close range and frantic affairs. 0-300 yards is 98% of your engagements. There are certainly LR opportunities but try to get into this game. One gun only. As much as I love my LR guns, they are LIMITED in application. Our guns are strategic tools, not tactical tools. Find a leader and kill him is a great concept but stealth, secrecy are the keys to living not popping TANGOS at 1400 yards. A 556/223 is not your friend in a LR fight but might well be in this scenario.

For this scenario, I'm taking something I can find ammo, mags and parts for along the way. So I'd be taking an AR in 556/223. Ammo, mags, and rifles/parts would be much easier to find along the way.

That's the same for handguns. Even though I rarely take a Glock to the range... it's about 99% CZs for me. If I had to bug out, I'd be grabbing the G19.

No, I started this thread because we are all into precision rifles, and hunt with them. I'll bet or would have bet most of us have no use for a short range carbine. I was hoping the thread would show just how useful such a weapon is, and help us stand with our brothers who are fighting to keep them instead of letting them divide, splinter, and concor us. I am shocked, but shouldn't be. You all know a lot about guns. This was just for fun and to promote thought. I still say if this really happened, the safest place would be in a small town in rural flyover country. That's where I will be, and take my chances pooling resources and working together with a few good folks. If I die, at least it will be in good company, like the folks did at the Alamo. Too old to run, too proud to bow.
Good motives, but like the DC crowd passing passion of the day legislation, all the permutations are missing. If a person lives in Boston the closest place of true wilderness is Northern Maine and you ain't walking there. Even if you could, exactly where would you go? You're going to be robbed, rapped and murdered before you get to the border.

if you were in Georgia you might get to the swamps. Detroit you might get to the Upper Pen. The point is you asked a question in a way that eliminates the utility of Long Range weapons. You prefaced it with preparing for Armageddon but having done nothing to be prepared for Armageddon.

now if you had asked: You have gathered a group of people you trust into a survival cabal. The day comes to bug out, what guns do you take? The reality is your 338-378, 6.5-284, anything AI or wildcat will be useless. As I've said in other posts, I build 5 short barreled 308s now for every 6.5 or Short mag anything. For years many of us have been trying to convince ppl that 5.56/223-7.62x39-300WM, 308Win, 30:06, 30-30, 38 special, 357 mag, 9mm, 45acp, 12 & 20ga. and even 44 mag are survival calibers. 6.5 Credemore and the other great shooter Goochie calibers are not. Here in 2021 we are in a pre-apocalypse society where ammo is all but none existent and what have ppl learned? Not much even with the reality right there. All of the above calibers are marginally available but try to find crede or PRC or any other in quantities. And we are not shooting at each other yet. Imagine looking for niche ammo in a post societal world. The simple fact is if you have to run and do not already have a group to run with and a place to run to, you should stay home.

In your broke back society you take guns in common with other ppl's guns. Yes you take your long range stuff too but if you had to run out the door with just one gun it best not be your surgical rifle or you're gonna die quickly.

Going to load 200 rounds of 100 gr speers for the 243. Have a light weight savage model 10 that will kill anything I need it to.

Here's where ease of reloading comes into play. If I find shotgun shell low brass normally has enough flake or ball powder to make a full cylinder of 38 specials. 1 steel single cavity Bullet mold will last multiple lifetimes. Dried raccoon fat for lube or any paint you can scrounge and you're shooting. A Lee loader can carefully punch out any small primer'd ammo you can't shoot. Is it perfect? No. Will it get you by? Yes. I couldn't imagine feeding a precision rifle when things fall apart. Useful? Yes. But definitely a break glass in case of emergency usage.

I would also prefer my .22 savage single shot.
A single round at close range buys you everything the bad guy owns. With luck the bad guy is carrying a .22.

Since I have to choose from what I have, I would choose the 1911 .45. I like to know that what I hit will probably go down and there will probably be more than one bad guy. in a chase or ambush, a pistol, or revolver, requires enough caution to keep you worried and improves your chances.

Part of your game is the requirement to remain hidden from the bad guys. If you have to engage from a distance you are doing something wrong and probably won't get the chance to either plunder or identify friend from foe. In reality, you can't know that a bad guy is a bad guy unless he has engaged you from a distance or is chasing you. If I thought a rifle was required, I would skip my 14lb 700LR in favor of my 7Lb Marlin 30-06.

A true story for background. We killed a VC in 68 wearing cut down army fatigues and carrying a M16 and all the gear of some grunt he killed. the only other weapon he carried was a homemade zip gun made of two drilled out pieces of iron, a gate hinge, hook and eye gate lock, a nail, and a rubber band. It was drilled to accept a .45 and must have required an almost contact shot. It worked for him.
You are right ,long range shooting invites attention and reaction.
Given if one is in remote area's.
If it comes to a fight 2 or 4 1911's in 45cal would be more useful.
Since I am in mountainous Grissly country I am afraid I have to drag my 340 with me.
I will use it only when absolutely necessary.
For survival a 22 a must.
Like the idea of ammo /survival stache and that will be where we leave the quad,and start walking since there is only so much one can carry.
That is scenario 1
#2 is stay home in my small town ,defend my life long collection and die with my boots on and a 50 cal Sharps in my hand.😳😁

For this scenario, I'm taking something I can find ammo, mags and parts for along the way. So I'd be taking an AR in 556/223. Ammo, mags, and rifles/parts would be much easier to find along the way.

That's the same for handguns. Even though I rarely take a Glock to the range... it's about 99% CZs for me. If I had to bug out, I'd be grabbing the G19.
Same for me, I love my CZ's and they're about all I shoot for handguns but I bought a G19 and put a threaded barrel in it for this exact scenario. I also built a Glock compatible AR-9 and have a ton of hi-cap mags that will work in both platforms. Perfect SHTF setup in my mind.

Rules need to be clarified: are we supposed to go to the woods for... two weeks, or the world is over? In this second scenario, sorry guys but you are all wrong: the only option is a traditional muzzleloader rifle plus a pistol, possibly in the same caliber; some cast bullets and black powder, and a good mould. Both the guns will be flintlocks, no primers needed; after a year, you will start making your own black powder and bullets; after 20 years, live the guns to the childs.

Or I can shoot a bow instead of launching into black powder manufacturing. I'll use the time saved to practice fashioning Clovis points and find a nice straight piece of ash to make a lance out of; I feel like I have a better shot at stonework vs manufacturing black powder. The Llano is harsh, it was there before the Europeans, it will suffice again.

If this is the end of the world at least.

We had so much fun with the 5 gun thread lets play a new game. Here are the rules: You have a safe full of guns, and not a single round of ammo. You have plenty of bullets, powder, cases, and 1000 each of LRM, LR, SR, 209 and LP primers in your stash. The problem is Society has broken down overnight and you are unsafe at home. You will have to bug out to a remote location with your family in tow. You very well may have to walk a big part of the way with everything you need on both your and your wife's back. You have a wife and two small children that you will have to both protect and provide for. What do you load for and how much? Remember all the other stuff you will have to carry so what is really important to you? I would first choose a 22RF but that's against the rules, you have to load them and you don't have a lot of time.

The scenario described at the start of this thread works for many of you but if you are a senior living in a large city in California and s***t happens, you will not be able to go far before the roads are clogged. So some of us have bug out bags with ammo, knives and first aid stuff for our pistols and and 223 rifles.
If the scenario is that we are stuck at home (earthquake or tsunami, we would have MRE's and water stored.
Hopefully you will have a doctor and retired police, who have firearms, living in your neighborhood to help establishing a perimeter against pillagers.

You are right ,long range shooting invites attention and reaction.
Given if one is in remote area's.
If it comes to a fight 2 or 4 1911's in 45cal would be more useful.
Since I am in mountainous Grissly country I am afraid I have to drag my 340 with me.
I will use it only when absolutely necessary.
For survival a 22 a must.
Like the idea of ammo /survival stache and that will be where we leave the quad,and start walking since there is only so much one can carry.
That is scenario 1
#2 is stay home in my small town ,defend my life long collection and die with my boots on and a 50 cal Sharps in my hand.😳😁
What he said!

l wouldnt mind going full on cowboy and go with a nice MARLİN 45-70. but to be honest in a situation like what you are describeing is basicly a civil war situation. so its a no brainer.... AK 47 with 4 or 5 mags and a RPG-7 with 3 rockets on my back as thats not classed as a gun. the wife can carry the sandwitches and drinks. should be able to put up a good old fashioned gun fight with that combo. wouldnt mind takeing a TANK or escapeing the citty with a battleship and its 16 inch big guns. mind you l wouldnt have to leave the town with that. l would basicly own the town :=)

Attachments

• the-battleship-uss-iowa-fires-all-15-of-its-guns-during-a-news-photo-1602786667.jpg
    the-battleship-uss-iowa-fires-all-15-of-its-guns-during-a-news-photo-1602786667.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.