Which guns do you use for predator hunting?

Which guns do you use for predator hunting?

• Bolt Action Only

Votes: 975 40.1%
  • AR-15 Only

Votes: 81 3.3%
  • Shotgun Only

Votes: 9 0.4%
  • Bolt and Shotgun

Votes: 416 17.1%
  • AR-15 and Shotgun

Votes: 95 3.9%
  • Both AR-15 and Bolt

Votes: 857 35.2%

• Total voters
Iron Worker
Not so long as you pick them (mines) up when you're done. I'm off my five year Nevada antelope probation (for the crime of drawing a tag) this year and I'd sure hate to find one with my ATV.

Iron Worker
Not so long as you pick them (mines) up when you're done. I'm off my five year Nevada antelope probation (for the crime of drawing a tag) this year and I'd sure hate to find one with my ATV.

But seriously . I just moved here when do I have to have my application in to hunt big game ? Are you into Coyote hunting ? I only got two this year. Are you near Reno

Iron Worker
I"m in Washington. I think us nonresidents are due in middle April, uncertain as to residents. You've got a ton of public land options in Nevada. A De Lorme book/map at about $20 shows basic ownership of the state. Game Department has some resources. There are maps with more detail if need be, but the De Lorme will get you there and back.

my go to rifle in the past has been my bushmaster using 55gr b-tips, awesome results with whatever I shoot! I just traded this in for a new savage model 12 lrp in .260 however and am building another AR. Most of my yotes have been targets of opportunity however and have used both my kimber .45 and believe it or not my keltec p32, both do just fine with gold dot and I prefer the open sights for running shots.

Where are the other options on the survey????
I prefer lever actions as my rifle of choice and have a number
of custom caliber as well as traditional ones.
It is a very accurate weapon in the right hands.

I'm sticking my neck out a bit but I prefer open sights, and
next to that a red dot or holographic one. Modern weapons
systems sometimes make it just a bit too easy (not that I don't
have them)

Having said that I really enjoy my Ruger ranch with
a scout set up consisting of an Aim-point on an integrated
aircraft aluminum mount.

Jakes

(OK, OK, I know it is "long range hunting" but kills beyond 400 yds feel **** good)

Last edited:
I use a bolt 22-250 Rem. I sometimes use my .17Hmr cz-452.
I have a DPMS lower that I've got to get around and put an upper on so I can get to using that too.

I would love to use an AR for coyotes, but I'm too late to legally have one in California, thanks to the misinformed legislators who passed the anti-gun laws covering such firearms as the AR-15 and related so-called "Assault Weapons," which by-the-way seems to be a term that I have yet to see defined.

You can get a California legal lower as long as it has one of the magazine release items (i.e. Bullet Button) and then smack whatever upper you want on it. I don't have one but see them all the time in gun shops for sale. If 10 bullets isn't enough for coyotes you need to work on your shooting LOL!

Bolt action .308 with VMaxes, hoping to add a .22-250 barrel to that one real soon.

Which guns or combinations of guns do you use for predator hunting?
Custom AR-10 .260 for everything at any range to 1000yds.

Mini 14 (custom) in 6.8 SPC every day truck gun for anything out to about 600yds.

.204 Ruger CZ custom bolt gun for small things out to 600, sometimes a wee bit farther if the wind is right.

7mm STW 700 custom from the Rem Custom Shop, for anything I can see and just have to kill.gun)

i checked bolt and shotgun, didnt see a everything box. 22 LR, ruger bolt, ruger 10-22, winchester 94, pistols: rem br in 7 mm br, 22=250, and 358 win (last two barrels-Lilja), 22 mark II ruger pistol target (has taken more ptarmigan and fox than any of the rest), 357 s&w L frame, 44 mags in various forms, 45 LC in vaquero, and about 10 bolt guns, 5 shotguns from model 97 win to browning BPS 10, mini 14, and 45-70 marlin. all have taken predators except my 50 BMG. also have used bow, slingshot and swords. missed the only opportunity with a spear.

You are my kind of hunter! When I made my first reply to the original question, I forgot so many weapons that I am now humbled by your eloquence. I also used so many other toys that I did not list that I would now do so;
A High Standard SD .22 pistol, several different .45s, a cheap old fiberglass one piece recurve bow of 35 pounds draw and a M-60D Machine gun . ( Off the cost of South Viet Nam for shooting sharks from the air.) I never got the chance to use a sword, spear or knife for hunting although I did get to use a Explorer folding boot knife once by accident.

I shot my first coyote with a bow, but I was not intensionally hunting coyotes...I was in a treestand and he happened by. Just the same, he was a 40 lb. male and I'll never forget it. :)

StandingwithCoyote.jpg

I used to carry a Rock River Arms A4, as a main weapon and a Smith&Wesson M&P 9mm to finish them off. However, I had a lot of "runners" with hits from the AR. No fault of the weapon, but I felt the need for more power to finish and/or knock them down, so I switched to a .25-06.

Now, I carry a Mossberg 500 Turkey Special (3" chamber & 20" barrel), as my main weapon. I used a .680" Carlson choke tube and 3" Dead Coyote or Remington HD ammo. My back up weapon, to any long range possibilties is a Stevens model 200, in .25-06. This combination has proven deadly with no runners. :D

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

204 Ruger no1 & 22&410 or 12g on rabbits possums cats magpies& miner birds.
12g on game birds
308 or 270 or 8x68s on pigs goats or deer

5 Quigley-Ford Long Range Hunting Rifle Scopes

Please enter me into 5 Quigley-Ford Long Range Hunting Rifle Scopes "Give-Away".
Thanks,
Gatorman7

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.