How often do you use your gun in a year?

How often do you use your gun in a year?

• 0 to 10 days

Votes: 40 4.9%
  • 11 to 20 days

Votes: 94 11.5%
  • 21 to 50 days

Votes: 214 26.2%
  • 51 to 100 days

Votes: 187 22.9%
  • Over 100 days

Votes: 282 34.5%

• Total voters

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
This should be interesting. I am talking about any firearm type. If you just "carry" that counts, too.

Not many days go by that I don't either have one on my hip or close by in the truck. If a week goes by where I don't fire a shot I start geting withdrawl symptoms. I try to take at least a few LR practice shots twice a month or more.

Jeff gun)-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

through the winter I shoot indoor pistol league . I always shoot 2 nights a week and some weeks 3 nights . then after the weather breaks I shoot outdoor pistol some and also shoot my rifle . I'm sure I'm over 100 days a year counting rifle and pistol . Jim

I shoot (and/or hunt) every week all spring, summer and fall. In the dead of winter I give myself a break because shooting when your hands are frozen just doesn't appeal to me any more. :D

I'm at the range 2 or 3 times a week from last snow of the spring to first snow of the winter. Then there is the fall hunting trips, 5 weeks of summer camp for the BSA, teaching the rifle merit badge. As a retired LEO I still carry a 1911 every day.

Last edited:
My view has always been, if you aren't proficient with it you shouldn't have it. Unless just learning. So I get out to practice about once a week at the range. Above all though, as always, is firearms safety. Practice it daily please.

In the Winter-Sat and Sun,In summer i am at the outdoor range every weekend and sometimes take a day off work to go out there. I bring both 10/22's ,223,308,45ACP. Is there anything funner???? OK Well maybe reloading is:D

Just about everyday I shoot at something, a rock in the field,dirt lump,always trying to see how far I can shoot. I live in the country so Iam really lucky that way.:)

I take at least one shot every day...

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays my firearms from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."

gun)

I use some type of firearm every day.
I fire approximately 1-2 hundred rounds on average per week.
If I go a day without touching a firearm............well, I'm too sick
to get out of bed and can't reach the nightstand!!!!!

Jakes

First, long range hunting for me means 100 yards or so. I only hunt on my
own land and there is nowhere I can shoot for longer distances.

I fire on my hundred yard range two or three times a month, using different
Military rifles from WW1 and WW2. I also have a couple of up to date rifles
that are tack drivers.

I fire on my 25 yard pistol range three or four times a month, where I use
a .22 conversion kit on my 1911 to practice drawing and firing from a shoulder
holster. (Can't wear a belt holster due to back problems.)

My CCW is the 1911A1 in.45 cal.

Lately I derive more enjoyment from trying to shoot the tightest group I can
at a hundred yards than I do from hunting deer. (You don't have to
field clean a target). But I still hunt deer.

By the way, I'm new if you haven't guessed it, so if I have broken any
protocols here, be patient with me. God isn't quite finished building me
yet. He's trying to do a good job, but I keep getting in His way.

Some get neglected for up to two weeks; I've even lost track of time and let a rifle go a month without touching one off. Most of the time my rifles see weekly action, with 1-50 rounds sent. My comp handguns fired at least twice a week. The round counts can vary a lot, but 8,000-10,000 a year for primary (my S&W 627) 4,000-5,000 for others. Unfortunately my firearms are in suspended animation currently, will I'm in Iraq. When I get back I've got a few purchases to make, including a 625 for USPSA, and a few long overdue rifle builds. Then shall begin a new era of shooting for me. I vow to shoot no less than 25,000 rounds a year; 20K for handguns, 5K for the rifles.gun)

I shoot either rifles or shotguns for hunting or target shooting between 50 and 100 times a year.

Don't care for pistols. "Said I don't care for them, didn't say I couldn't use them." - Quigley

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.