Do you archery hunt for elk?

• YES

Votes: 441 33.0%
  • NO

Votes: 652 48.8%
  • Not yet, but I plan to.

Votes: 242 18.1%

• Total voters
Sure do. I'm headed out to the western slope (in Colorado) with an OTC either sex elk tag on Sept 18th through the end of the season. Can't wait!

Yep, in fact I prefer bow hunting over all other methods. Too bad I didn't draw a tag this yr :(

Been hunting most of my life with a (stick) bow & luv taking game with it. Gun or bow , it's being with mother nature ' the harvest is just icing on the cake if it happen. I sign up for the elk hunt with a rifle ,but if I can also hunt with a bow too , in the same season let me know . I luv to do that , so Len if that what I'm reading let me know , please !

Yep! Asian elk (Cervus nippon) sika on Assateague Is. at Chincoteague NWR drawn by lottery and scheduled on Oct. 20.21.&22. Not a full-sized beast by any means but dressed at 45-60# they sure make for good eating. A non-indigenous species to the ecosystem there, the controlled hunt allows for up to five per day! (not to exceed two bulls). We've been doing the lottery for 35 yrs. since I learned of it while studying Forestry at D.S.L.C.C. in '79. Great exotic hunt right here in VA!

I would think that a blood trail would be best distributed by an exit hole. Can you rely upon an AR to exit the far side of a bull elk?
It's where you place the shot that counts , I use a g-7 & killed my 4x5 3yrs ago 'didn't get a chance to go bow hunting this yr., but I'm going on the last hunt with a rifle ,around Teleuride ,Colo.Practice, practice & practice with your rifle or bow .Thats what it takes.

You'll find lots of kills with a rifle, even big guns with no exit hole. Bullet under the skin. Point is that an arrow causes very little tissue damage, no hydraulic damage or terminal impact.

Has to be a slow bleed to death kill.

Been around enought elk kills with a bow & the biood trail where not that hard to follow , even put in arrow into the artery on the left hind leg , small amounts of blood . The elk bleed out in three minutes or so . A double lung shoot the arrow will passes through , unless it hits a rib more likely it will pass throw anyway . All I can say is worry more about your placesment of your shoot & less about what if ! Good Hunting & enjoy your time with mother nature .

A good hit with an arrow kills quicker than most rifles. They cut a very large swath. They don't have the hydrostatic shock of a rifle, but that really isn't what kills.

I don't know about the time to it's demise but I would bank on the technology afforded a modern centerfire rifle with good optics over any stringed instrument for reliability anytime.
I believe we choose to handicap ourselves to add significance to the accomplishment.
I admire those that achieve success despite the adversity associated with primitive weapons.
Kudos to them!