Do You Hunt Turkeys?

Do You Hunt Turkeys?

• YES

Votes: 420 58.1%
  • NO

Votes: 303 41.9%

• Total voters
I do and they are a giggle to hunt. Kind of like elk, they can be as smart as Einstein as tricky as Houdini and as comical as the Three Stooges.

first time!

May11043-Copy.jpg
[/IMG]

May11045.jpg
[/IMG]

I got hooked this year with my son. Filled all my tags in the first two weeks and got to see firsthand everything I had watched on tv.

Key Word "HUNT" I have never killed one I always see them when I am deer hunting but never shoot one because I dont want to screw up my deer hunt, maybe next year ill get a spring tag

I moved to Tx. 16 years ago and immediately realized if you are going to deer hunt you needed to have property leased. So I met some guys and was invited to join their lease. Lots of deer and lots of turkey's. Needless to say, my idea of turkey hunting was picking out a good butterball at the grocery store. They were a nuisance, eating deer corn and actually chasing the deer away from the feeder. After 2 years of putting up with this a buddy talked me into going Spring turkey hunting with him at his lease. That was all it took. One afternoon with him learning how to use different slate/box calls and I was all in. The next day I "called" in a 20.5 pound Rio and the rest is history. Turkey hunting/photograpy is one of my favorite things to do now. I introduced my son to it at an early age as well and he loves the calling and stalking. If you've never tried it, you are in for a real treat. Just be careful, it is very addictive! Here's a pic of a buddy and his 13 year old daughter who are now both avid Turkey hunters.
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/gregnmoturkey.jpg

Turkey hunting is my favorite! I hunt both spring and fall seasons. I use an older Mossberg 835, camo w/ fiberoptic sights, 3 1/2" magnum; either #4 or #5 Winchester or Federal Premiums.

That shotgun was the first Christmas present that my wife gave me after we married in 1990. Many great gun gifts from her since then. Thanks, Jane!!

Tomorrow afternoon when my son and his buddy show up, we are off to
the Ochoco Nat Forest in Oregon for four days of Turkey and Coyote
hunting. We will probably do more hunting than killing. But A big Tom or two
would be nice. Got decoys, calls, camo, bows and arrows as well as shotguns,
and coyote riffles and plenty of ammo.

will do a repost later.

Our Turkey season is coming too, the Spring is my favorite one. I never thought about hunting coyote but I've always wanted to. I think I'll try to learn some more about it and do the same during Turkey season. I'll be taking my shotgun of course but a rifle or 2 also to practice, this year I am going to take the bowhunters course and buy a muzzle loader, hopefully my brotherinlaw will give me some bow lessons on the trip. He and his cousins bowhunt as well as gun and have for years, they've taken bear, I'd like to learn, up close and personal as well as plenty of whitetail.

Be safe, safety first and last, and have fun.

It's a real vacation, enjoy it.

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.