Which Crtrdg- Short barrel do everything hunting rifle?

Yes, I definitely saw the signs after the fact and pulled all the loads. Seems to be some "mysterious headspace" issues with this whelen as others have also experienced. I' ve had two gunsmiths look at it but no idea. So I'll probably rebarrel that rifle in the future as well- been looking at 9.3x62. So for this compact build was planning a .338 short mag - RCM or SS or WSM

If size and length is important, Personally I would suggest the Stainless Model 7 action for it's ease to keep clean and the mag length is the same as the short action mod 700. Overall length Is 1/2" shorter than the 700 SA.

A #3 or #4 contour in a Stainless will weigh almost the same as the carbon and in my opinion be easier to maintain and be more durable. I would also place a low power, light weight scope on it to save weight. Mine weighs just over 6 Lbs fully dressed. Just a suggestion for what it's worth.

J E CUSTOM

I am definitely looking at a model 7 action now! The whole point is compact and that would do it. Thanks

Yes, I definitely saw the signs after the fact and pulled all the loads. Seems to be some "mysterious headspace" issues with this whelen as others have also experienced. I' ve had two gunsmiths look at it but no idea. So I'll probably rebarrel that rifle in the future as well- been looking at 9.3x62. So for this compact build was planning a .338 short mag - RCM or SS or WSM

I love all three of the cartridges that you mention because they will all do what you want. I also like and design many wildcats, but your location requires different thinking in my opinion.

The 338 RCM requires no special equipment or components to load for and will be more compatible with ease of loading and shooting. Everything is readily available including cases bullets and dies to load with.

Also with your needs and location when you decide what you want, I recommend that you buy several hundred cases, 4 or 500 bullets, several pounds of powder and plenty of primers or at least make sure that they are available before you start building anything. once you start, buy all that you think you will need for the life of the rifle.

This way you will have a supply of components that will last you for a long time.

J E CUSTOM

9.3x62 is a very good choice. About the same case capacity but so much better bullets. And a wider shoulder for headspace. When the eastern Africa countries set the 375 as a minimum they made an exception for the 9.3. Poor mans 375

The brass supply has been the biggest problem with the 300wsm. Sorry if that wasnt clear. Reloading the cartridge has been fine. But I'm aware of only Norma, Nosler, Federal, Winchester and Bertram making brass for the 300wsm. Consistancy and toughness are the major deciding factors in brass for me. The older Winchester sounds like it was awesome. The new stuff is unpredictable. Federal, Hornady is garbage from what I've heard. Nosler and Bertram have been inconsistent from speaking to people. I've only seen small lots of both brass, and havent yet had time to form an opinion, but I'm not convinced it's amazing brass yet. Which I'm disappointed by as I expected Bertram to be better. That leaves Norma, and I hear good things but keep finding small lots of it and would prefer to buy in larger quantity.

I've spoken to alot of people and stores about brass supply for the WSM and no one has given me the warm fuzzy feeling about it. Which is a shame.

tdot, I know a lot of people say that consistency is bad in this industry. The industry is full of brainwashing. Winchester not making brass for 4 years is crappy. This time last year, we simply sat down and called everyone. Manufacturers distributors, etc. Every brand you named. We dug deep into the proper person who handles the sales of the brass all the way to the production line manager who could tell me the schedule.

Some answers sucked. We ultimately found a ton of it in all sorts of places. Federal makes good stuff. Bertram always has a supply. They have a counter on their website. I talk to those guys regularly and are ramping up for them to make all of our other calibers. See the bottom for specifics.

Winchester isn't what it use to be and a lot of companies arn't. I assure you, many places out there have it and even if Winchester dries up and it's another 4 years. Ok, plan B, Federal. I know for a fact they do atleast 2 production runs a year of it. I have seen some retailers out of it, I call the warehouse and the nice lady says "those idiots need to fill out an order" we have palets of it and its been sitting here a month. Below is an easy tool to find some common places and their current stock.

https://ammoseek.com/reloading/brass/300wsm

You have our info and we are dedicated to truly helping and educating. If you EVER can't find brass, you send us an email. We will find you good brass. We knew this exact topic would come up and be a fear for a lot of people. I wouldn't have started a company if I couldn't feed the beasts we create without hesitation.

Bertram - great, available direct. Haven't seen a shortage yet.

Federal, good stuff, seriously, haven't seen a shortage yet. Stores just do not order as needed. They have standing orders which go out maybe once or twice a year.

Hornady - we covered that, don't like it.

Nosler- I could make you custom headstamped CNC'd brass with your name on it for how much that stuff costs.

Winchester- Production manager for brass - "Our brass is just a by product. We focus on ammo first. If have material left over, we will make it." Apparently they had a massive run because of the amount of 325WSM that hit the market. There is alot of every WSM out. It shoots great.

V/r,

Richie

"Send It, Quietly"

When I full length resize I take the rifle to the loading room. Start with the dire off the shell holder and keep turning it down to when the case chambers with no force. Understand a few thou deeper each time. Then lock the ring and you are there. Why I only own one rifle for each caliber.

9.3x62 is a very good choice. About the same case capacity but so much better bullets. And a wider shoulder for headspace. When the eastern Africa countries set the 375 as a minimum they made an exception for the 9.3. Poor mans 375
Woodleigh which are very very good bullets make from 232 to 320 grain. Soft and solid. Protected point, round nose, solid, and a hydraulic stabilized solid. Like a Keith semi wadcutter pistol bullet. Similar, Nosler make a 286 partition. Something to be said for size. When I lived in Alaska I had a 375 weatherby on a model 70. I used it deer hunting on Kodiak. Floored them but you could eat right to the hole and I could stop a fight with big furry if I had to.

View attachment 167948 The main thing I have against the RCM is Hornady brass. Bad experience with it in a 35 whelen. Out of spec, fail to fire, very soft, and this pic with a case head separation! Was shooting a 275gr Woodleigh in the whelen when it happened. I prefer not to use Hornady brass.....
By the looks of the primer and swipe mark, was there a headspace issue? That looks like some good pressure

By the looks of the primer and swipe mark, was there a headspace issue? That looks like some good pressure

I don't know what the issue is (and two smiths try to figure it out, rechambered etc).

I would have factory Remington rounds fail to fire about 20% and then some would have swipe marks. Worked up some 200 ttsx jammed in the lands that worked. The Hornady brass was about 50% fail to fire. I have a box of federal that is 100% with no pressure signs. That case sep was a reload on Hornady brass with a 275 pp Woodleigh loaded with R15 per Woodleigh load data. No problem on the work up but shot a few off after a move and that's what happened (shot in colder weather even). Woodleigh data does seem high compared to others. Never the less I'm fed up with the 35 whelen issues so will rebarrel it down the road after I build a compact 338

I don't know what the issue is (and two smiths try to figure it out, rechambered etc).

I would have factory Remington rounds fail to fire about 20% and then some would have swipe marks. Worked up some 200 ttsx jammed in the lands that worked. The Hornady brass was about 50% fail to fire. I have a box of federal that is 100% with no pressure signs. That case sep was a reload on Hornady brass with a 275 pp Woodleigh loaded with R15 per Woodleigh load data. No problem on the work up but shot a few off after a move and that's what happened (shot in colder weather even). Woodleigh data does seem high compared to others. Never the less I'm fed up with the 35 whelen issues so will rebarrel it down the road after I build a compact 338
I'd use a comparator on the cases of a fired v resized to see if that's an issue. I had a 300wm that a guy rebarrelled and I bought . Same issue with hornady brass separating. It was a hs issue, but yours might not be

That tells me your rifle was chambered too deep.

That tells me your rifle was chambered too deep.
What you said I have seen in 280 ack imp that somebody did on a 280 Remington. If you set up an ack imp and shoot regular case you need a .005 crush to hold it . Without the crush the firing pin bangs it forward and sometimes doesn,t go off. And when it does it stretches the case.

What you said I have seen in 280 ack imp that somebody did on a 280 Remington. If you set up an ack imp and shoot regular case you need a .005 crush to hold it . Without the crush the firing pin bangs it forward and sometimes doesn,t go off. And when it does it stretches the case.
Consequently in a deep chambered rifle if you set the die to the shell holder you recreate it all over again.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.