Buddy wants one rifle for everything...?

entoptics

1) All ungulates to 400 yds (deer mostly, but elk, moose, etc will almost certainly be tackled occasionally).

2) Steel and paper to 800 plus (occasionally out to 1200 just for giggles on big targets).

3) $1500 for scope and rifle.

4) Factory rifle most likely (see #3).

5) I'll load for him, perhaps indefinitely, but reasonably common factory ammo is a must.

6) He only hunts with lead free. So it needs to have a good factory option in copper (see #5). He's cool with slinging lead at paper/steel, but verboten on animals.

7) He can handle recoil, but I'd like to steer him towards "a bit more than minimum" that will get the job done, so a factory rifle with a brake is a high priority, but not a deal breaker.

So...

Rifle?

Scope?

Cartridge?

I have my own opinions, but would love to hear from the peanut gallery. Just stay in the lane. None of the above 7 points can be violated and keep him happy. He's not a high volume shooter, but I'd like to push him that direction, so keep economy in mind too.

7mm mag or 280 AI. I prefer the AI. Like Creedmoor shooter said a 6.5 PRC would be good as well.
Savage with the accufit or Tikka would be my choice for the rifle I lean Savage.
Scope if there is money left a Vx-5HD or a Zeiss V4 conquest if you can find a deal.

7mm mag or 280 AI. I prefer the AI. Like Creedmoor shooter said a 6.5 PRC would be good as well.
Savage with the accufit or Tikka would be my choice for the rifle I lean Savage.
Scope if there is money left a Vx-5HD or a Zeiss V4 conquest if you can find a deal.
I wanted to say 7mm mag, but with economy in mind I felt the 6.5 prc match ammo was a better option

My wife and I have been "one gun hunters" since the early '90's. If you're only killing steel and paper at extended ranges, you may be interested in something like my wife's cartridge....the .338 WM.

She's taken deer/antelope, bear, elk, and moose .....with some at just over 400 yards.

If you shop, you should be able to find a good, light to medium weight .338 WM and a scope for under $1500.00

A good selection of factory ammo available, easy to load for and a great choice for someone not "recoil timid"! Uncertain of recoil with a brake.....wife doesn't use a brake! memtb

I would lean towards a plain old 30-06. Ammo and components speak for themselves. Plenty for killing our further than stated.
Scour the classifieds for glass as mentioned. Maybe a VX3-LR or a Vortex in the HST line.

although as mentioned just scour classifieds.

@Tidus56 and @Creedmoor shooter : 7mm Mag is pretty dang hard to beat, but I don't see any factory rifles that have enough twist for my taste. I looked at some factory ammo options, and 2200 fps at 400 yds is not a sure thing, although there's some get you there with some room to spare (e.g. Barnes LRX). Even reloading, with a 1:9.5 twist, you can't take advantage of the mid-weight Hammer Hunters.

@WWP2012 regarding paper and steel, it would just be some fun plinking (and wind practice) in a big wheat field. 1 MOA is sufficient, which I think most decent factory rifles will do. Without me to motivate him, I doubt he'll be doing it otherwise, so I'd almost certainly be hand loading all his target ammo.

Regarding 6.5 PRC, I consider it to be the "bare minimum" to achieve #1, as we're both "more than enough gun" kinda guys. With copper bullets, I just don't like the energy levels at 400 yds for elk. By no means saying it's not doable, I just like to see 2200 fps and 1500 ftlbs or more. Also, I only see 2 factory options in copper (Nosler E-Tip 120 gr, and Barnes 127 LRX). Definitely a contender though.

@memtb I think 338WM is a bit more than needed. He already has an old Winchester 670 in 300WM. It shoots OK, but he's looking for something a little more modern, and is excited about just "getting a new rifle".

@Shane Lindsey No doubt the old 06 will get her done, but IMO, the 7mm will do everything it will and more. Economy and rifle/ammo options are unparalleled though.

I would have to say a 300 win mag with a good brake should check all the boxes well. I would look for a nice used Rem 700/scoped combo. Keeping in mind if you want to shoot at distance you will need to be able to dial your scope so turrets are a must. My .02

@Tidus56 and @Creedmoor shooter : 7mm Mag is pretty dang hard to beat, but I don't see any factory rifles that have enough twist for my taste. I looked at some factory ammo options, and 2200 fps at 400 yds is not a sure thing, although there's some get you there with some room to spare (e.g. Barnes LRX). Even reloading, with a 1:9.5 twist, you can't take advantage of the mid-weight Hammer Hunters.

@WWP2012 regarding paper and steel, it would just be some fun plinking (and wind practice) in a big wheat field. 1 MOA is sufficient, which I think most decent factory rifles will do. Without me to motivate him, I doubt he'll be doing it otherwise, so I'd almost certainly be hand loading all his target ammo.

Regarding 6.5 PRC, I consider it to be the "bare minimum" to achieve #1, as we're both "more than enough gun" kinda guys. With copper bullets, I just don't like the energy levels at 400 yds for elk. By no means saying it's not doable, I just like to see 2200 fps and 1500 ftlbs or more. Also, I only see 2 factory options in copper (Nosler E-Tip 120 gr, and Barnes 127 LRX). Definitely a contender though.

@memtb I think 338WM is a bit more than needed. He already has an old Winchester 670 in 300WM. It shoots OK, but he's looking for something a little more modern, and is excited about just "getting a new rifle".

@Shane Lindsey No doubt the old 06 will get her done, but IMO, the 7mm will do everything it will and more. Economy and rifle/ammo options are unparalleled though.
Browning makes their long range model x bolts in 7mm rem mag with 8 twist barrels. Those usually run about 1100 bucks though so that doesn't leave much for an optic. I know you said economy shooting is a must but with moose and elk on the menu that's going to be tough to do and have affordable factory long range ammunition.