Which Crtrdg- Short barrel do everything hunting rifle?

I know the bears definitely throw a twist into the options. Getting a cartridge adequate for bear protection, but then wanting manageable recoil usually don't mix. I do not own anything in 338 caliber yet. How does the recoil of say the 338 Fed vs the 338 SS stack up? Would a brake, 3 or 5 port? tame it well?

My 338SS with a 4 port lil beast brake is super tame. There's a couple other guys that let their kids shoot theirs braked.

I cant speak to the 338 Fed, but I have a 4 port Christiansen Arms Slayer brake on my rifle. Fully loaded the rifle weighs 8 pounds. After 60 rounds at the range the other day, I had zero discomfort in my shoulder. I would've had more discomfort from sending 40 rounds from my 9lb unbraked 260 Rem. I have a decent amount of steel in my shoulder and enough scar tissue that I'd consider myself recoil sensitive.

I know the bears definitely throw a twist into the options. Getting a cartridge adequate for bear protection, but then wanting manageable recoil usually don't mix. I do not own anything in 338 caliber yet. How does the recoil of say the 338 Fed vs the 338 SS stack up? Would a brake, 3 or 5 port? tame it well?
Im not sure on the 338 federal but my 10 year old daughter shoots my 9Lb 338SS with a 5 port brake and says it kicks like her 6.5 creedmoor

Not knocking the 338 federal but it would be down on power for big bears compared to other 338s recoil would be less but with a good brake other more powerful 338s are still about the same as a 308 or less depending on the bullet weight. there was also the mention of the 300/338 WSM and essentially the 338 RCM is a short magnum in 338.
and has almost the same ballistics as the 300/338 WSM They both are the ballistic equal of the 325 wsm.

Also starting loads for the 338 RCM are over 2800 ft/sec and up to 3100+ with a 160 grain bullet and should be good for all other game. get what you want but dont forget the bear problem if you are caught alone with just one rifle.

J E CUSTOM

338 rcm seams to be a good solid option. I have a 338 rum and think it's an artillery piece. But I'm a recoil whimp. I like heavy guns and small cartridges and 2 oz triggers. My 300wsm does well without a brake because it weighs 77 pounds. My 17 pound rifle does well because it's a little creed. Hats off to you guys that can handle recoil.
Shep

338 rcm seams to be a good solid option. I have a 338 rum and think it's an artillery piece. But I'm a recoil whimp. I like heavy guns and small cartridges and 2 oz triggers. My 300wsm does well without a brake because it weighs 77 pounds. My 17 pound rifle does well because it's a little creed. Hats off to you guys that can handle recoil.
Shep

Like most handling recoil is a state of mind and recoil doesn't bother me if it solves the problem of not getting trampled or eaten. Everyone has their limit and it doesn't have anything to do with toughness. The nervous system has the most effect on a persons ability to handle recoil. Jokingly, I tell people that I am brain dead and my nervous system is almost shut down. truth is I can handle between 80 and 90 ft/lbs for a few shots and after that the fun goes out of it. I tried the 50 bmg without the brake "Once".

The reason I often recommend a brake is not only the power of the cartridge but the weight. A light rifle has something called recoil velocity and the perceived recoil feels much worse/more because of the speed of the rifle coming back and hitting the shooter. I have had diminutive cartridges that were very punishing to the shooter, and effected his shooting. A brake reduces the recoil to a very pleasant/reasonable amount so the shooter can concentrate on hold, trigger control and not worry about getting whacked.

It is not good to fire a braked or un-braked rifle without hearing protection, But in some cases it could be the least of your problems If a dangerous animal has plans for you that are unacceptable.

J E CUSTOM

Perfectly spoken. The absolute worst rifle i ever built myself was a 7x300 wbymag. I built 2 at the same time. Mine was a 700 long Remmie with a 24 inch #3 shillen with Brown Precision stock. I only had a 3x9 leupold to put on it. I loaded up 7828 with 140 btips @3450 fps. Shot 1/2 moa. That gun beat me up so bad i shot it 60 shots in 2 years. Now the barrel is in the bin and its a 257wby. Brakes are unbelievable in what they do today.
Shep

Not knocking the 338 federal but it would be down on power for big bears compared to other 338s recoil would be less but with a good brake other more powerful 338s are still about the same as a 308 or less depending on the bullet weight. there was also the mention of the 300/338 WSM and essentially the 338 RCM is a short magnum in 338.
and has almost the same ballistics as the 300/338 WSM They both are the ballistic equal of the 325 wsm.

Also starting loads for the 338 RCM are over 2800 ft/sec and up to 3100+ with a 160 grain bullet and should be good for all other game. get what you want but dont forget the bear problem if you are caught alone with just one rifle.

J E CUSTOM

What powder are you using to reload for the 338 RCM? Are you able to achieve the same performance as factory ammo?

What powder are you using to reload for the 338 RCM? Are you able to achieve the same performance as factory ammo?

Most short magnums use a propitiatory powder and are very hard to beat, but I am on
the same velocity or slightly above with the 180s and the 200s when I use BL-C (2).
With the 225s I am less than 50 ft/sec slower using BL-C (2) and H 4895. the factory list 2750 for the factory but with the shorter barrel I may be loosing the extra 50 ft/sec that they claim.

H 414 is another good powder but it is heat sensitive. 4198 is also a good powder for the 338 RCM.

J E CUSTOM

I referenced reloading Data from the 338RCM when I was starting loads for the 338SS. I wanted to run a bullet somewhere in that 200-225 grain range. I had best results from Varget, H4985 and IMR8208XBR. (I've only tried temp stable powders)

For long range I only use temp stable. Rl22 is so dang good of a powder but can't take the velocity swings.
Shep

On an 18 to 20 in barrel i dont think you csn beat the 7mm 08. You wont get any advantage with bigger cases in short barrel.

That's demonstrably false; an 18" 28 Nosler will run circles around an 18" 7mm 08.

Any of the various short mags like the RCM, SAUM, WSM, Sherman or Lazzeroni (if you're feeling extra fancy!) would work well. I think the 338 RCM is the easiest option and would work really well. The Sherman line would gain some performance but have a higher start up cost (brass and dies)

Here is a quick look at what a 30-06 with an 18" barrel can do with the 212 gr Hornady ELD-X. There is also a 220 gr ELD-X but has a slightly lower BC and the OP is interested in occasional shots out to 600 yards.

First, 212-220 gr expanding bullets are good bear medicine, especially in the hands of a shooter who is comfortable with the rifle. The shorter barrel means easier maneuverability in the tight areas where fractions of seconds may count.

Second, even with a muzzle velocity of about 2530 fps, the bullet drifts only about 27 inches in a 10 mph wind at 600 yards. Going to a 300 RUM drops that by just a few inches.

Third, one can zero at 200 yards and the bullet will be within 3 inches of line of sight out to 240 yards, which is adequate for closer shots where time is critical. There is plenty of time to lase at the longer ranges and make adjustments to one's sight or hold at the longer ranges. Goinbg to the 300 RUM adds only 30 yards to the maximum point blank range.

Fourth, a brake will help felt recoil

Last, there are commercial reduced recoil loads for 125 gr loads and tons of load data for the weight class with muzzle velocities of 2800 fps and lower. Those bullets are good for all North American deer sized animals.

Bottom line, the 100+ year old "ought six" is still one of the best choices for a "do-all" cartridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.