Which Crtrdg- Short barrel do everything hunting rifle?

Another vote for the .338 Federal. Case has taper so it feeds and extracts well, lots of bullet options from 160 to 250 grain, and beyond, and is very efficient at achieving velocity without great quantities of powder.

-what action is this build on? How do your switch barrels?

Lone Peak Ti action. I'm using shouldered barrels with witness marks, to ensure they are installed to the same position each time. More repeatable then torque alone, or the various switch lugs.... supposedly.

The negative to this system is I have to pull the action from the stock. It adds 5 minutes to the job.

As I wanted lighter build, I put it in a McMillan Game Hunter stock. I'm going to install another rifle in an XLR Industries Element 3.0 chassis, to see if I like the ergonomics of a chassis. It will have a folding stock, should be about 30oz, only 1oz heavier then my Game Hunter. I might move over to a chassis for the switch barrel, if I like it.

I was thinking about the .338 Federal too like oldschool280. I have two and have shot most bullets in the lower end including the 210 Scirocco. Can anyone share the h20 capacity of the Sherman vs. the federal? I'm assuming the Sherman is more efficient...How about the 338RCM water too.
I think the 338 version of the SS is about 74.5-75 grains

338 federal easy pick,better yet,375 raptor, 260 accubonds,2850 ft lbs@ 100yds,1200 ft lbs @600,18"in a ar10,308 brass.Use a common long ,medium or short action.Common margazines. Build a remage or savage,screw it on yourself.Form common brass yourself.Bolt gun would gain a bit more with higer pressures, loosing gas bleed off and 20" barrel.Cheap,short, powerful,best of all reason,...do it yourself

338 federal easy pick,better yet,375 raptor, 260 accubonds,2850 ft lbs@ 100yds,1200 ft lbs @600,18"in a ar10,308 brass.Use a common long ,medium or short action.Common margazines. Build a remage or savage,screw it on yourself.Form common brass yourself.Bolt gun would gain a bit more with higer pressures, loosing gas bleed off and 20" barrel.Cheap,short, powerful,best of all reason,...do it yourself

I keep looking at that 375 Raptor. I think I might convert my 260 Rem into a 375 Raptor, switch barrel sometime in the next couple years.

With the Arsenal you have what's the issue. You wouldn't have so many people getting talking about great rounds. Only to find out now you own most of the good ones. And when people mention bears they need a few details because it changes everything. I would go 300wsm or 338wsm or 338ss. I don't exactly know why Winchester did 325. All it did was make bullet selection less. Those are my suggestions on bears too. If they are black bears then any distance. If they are brown or grizzly you are still good in the open with some range to get more shots if needed. But if it's brown bears in the close quarters of brush then none of them for me. Although the 338s would in all fairness do the job. On a beach hunt for browns I would use a 280ai or the 300wsm no problem I mean you can always push back out on the dinghy, but you did say short action. Will be a nice piece no mater what you build. The 350 rem mag has been out for a long but time and wouldn't give up much on these younger rounds.
Shep

375 Ruger in a Hawkeye Alaskan if you can find one, or the Savage if you cant, 20" barrels, standard action. Build one if you must! Mount a scope, buy some ammo, go hunt! Reload it down for less recoil or add a brake.

I'd also recommend the 338 federal . I do not have one . But have been looking really hard at one for a stomp brush gun . Should flat hammer game

I have liked the specs of the 338 fed for awhile now. Mid size don't normally get much love in our country but they are almost as fast as their big brothers or sis are. Way more efficient. And accurate as heck. Another one I'm impressed with is the Ohio round I build. It's the 357 sheephead. It's a 358 diameter that really does way more than I could have imagined. I've built them since before the 35 legend came out and it blows the Legend away. By 350 fps on a 223 basic brass straight wall. I don't recommend it here because of capacity and long range.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.