Which bullet (if any) would you trust at closer range

I just narrowed down a good load for 168 Berger HVLD in my 280, and I have found good load combos for 162 Amax and 150 ABLR before trying the HVLD. I have enjoyed playing around with each of them a bit at longer ranges, but I've read about several performance issues for all 3 at closer ranges and higher velocities.

Which of the 3 would you trust most for shots on game under 200 yards? I think I'm starting to come to the realization that most of my shots on game will be 350 yards or less and a high BC bullet may not be a better option than something like a partition or bonded bullet

No hands on experience with the .280 but plenty on other calibers/chamberings. IMHO, any of them will work but with varying result. Shot placement still remains the KEY.

I used the NP for many years before switching to NAB ... Berger is now my go to bullet source.

Having said, I'd go with the following order; 168 VLD Berger, 162 A-Max Hornady, and 150 Nosler ABLR ... but that's just me.

Cheers!

My uncle has had great luck with the 162 amax from his .280. Anything from antelope to elk, sprinkling in a black bear or two. I don't know his longest shot, but he has taken shots inside 150 yards.

I am a firm believer in the plain accubonds. Everything I have seen shows then to be a robust bullet, decent bc, and still performs as expected. They suggest keepyou no impact velocities above 1800 fps, but that gets me past 600 yards. I shot one buck as he was getting out of bed at 60 yards with a 25-06, slightly quartering away. Nickel sized exit and he made stumbled for about 10 yards before falling.

I just narrowed down a good load for 168 Berger HVLD in my 280, and I have found good load combos for 162 Amax and 150 ABLR before trying the HVLD. I have enjoyed playing around with each of them a bit at longer ranges, but I've read about several performance issues for all 3 at closer ranges and higher velocities.

Which of the 3 would you trust most for shots on game under 200 yards? I think I'm starting to come to the realization that most of my shots on game will be 350 yards or less and a high BC bullet may not be a better option than something like a partition or bonded bullet

I shot mulie buck here in Co about 200yd with 150gr ABLR in 270 no problem. My 280AI was factory 280 with 24" barrel and I shot elk to antelope with 154gr Hornady SP and I've been hunting with 160AB in 280AI. I've also shot Berger 168gr/180gr VLD ,ELD-X in the 280AI but haven't hunted with them.

I'd like to say every rifle I have is set for LR but since most tags here are draw and 4 choice on them, I may not draw season or unit first/second choice so may need couple rifles set for shorter yardage and I'll use standard type bullet or maybe partiton.

Well good luck

My 6.5 SS shooting 140 VLDs took 7 deer this fall. Big Canadian Alberta white tails and a few small white tails as well. Longest shot was 250 yards. Closest was 75 yards. Majority was in the 100 yard range. EVERY SINGLE DEER didn't take a step. All dropped right where they stood. I shot a whitetail with the .270 win and 130 gr VLD at 30 yards. That one had a pass through with a fist size exit.

I have had similar results with my 6.5x284 using both 140HVLD Bergers and 140 VLD JLK's(very similar design using the J4 jacket). I have taken dozens of antelope and deer(80# to +300# mulies) over a seven year period from 50 to in excess of 1000 yards. Most DRT, all dead within 50 yards. Generally a 1" entrance, 2" exit with everything in between, mush.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts