Which bullet (if any) would you trust at closer range

letrbuck

I just narrowed down a good load for 168 Berger HVLD in my 280, and I have found good load combos for 162 Amax and 150 ABLR before trying the HVLD. I have enjoyed playing around with each of them a bit at longer ranges, but I've read about several performance issues for all 3 at closer ranges and higher velocities.

Which of the 3 would you trust most for shots on game under 200 yards? I think I'm starting to come to the realization that most of my shots on game will be 350 yards or less and a high BC bullet may not be a better option than something like a partition or bonded bullet

Under 350 yards a Nosler Partition would be a good option. But don't pass on a Sierra Game King or Pro Hunter bullet.

I would be confident with all three loads you listed. At 280 velocity you will be fine. Only time I think you might see an issue is if you were pushing ablrs or any softer bullet 3100++

Personally I dont think you have any thing to worry about. I've shot numerous deer and hogs at 100yds and closer with berger 140 hunting VLD's in my 270 win and have not had any blowup failures. The VLD's IMO are more likely to not expand due to Hollow point plugging than to blowup at short range on Elk size animals and smaller.

If you want the best in-between bullet Accubond LR is your best bet IMO.

I've had great performance with the Barns X bullets in the 243 and 270. My longest shot with the 270 Barns X was a whitetail buck at 513 yards, broke both front shoulders and I found it in the hair on the off side, looked just like they do in the pictures.

letrbuck

The answer for me as to which I'd trust for shots on game under 200 yards is none of the above. When it absolutely positively really matters and I want to make sure I use a Barnes TTSX traveling as much over 3,000 fps as I can get. To ensure the 3,000 fps I'll drop bullet weight as much as I have to. A good example is the 210 TTSX running 3,200 fps out of my 338 RUM. Absolutely hammers elk. The hydrostatic shot is huge. A side benefit - the least meat damage possible this side of an FMJ. Another example, the 80 grain TTSX running 3,300 fps out of my 6mm Rem for deer. In my opinion the bullets you mentioned are horrible choices for general purpose use because they are too soft and tend to blow up at close range as you have rightly perceived. Having said that, a bullet is just a tool. There are no inherently bad bullets. They do what they are designed to do. Take the ABLR for example. If you ensure they hit the animal when traveling around 2,000 fps they will work just fine. They are a true long range hunting bullet. They should have a big warning label on them saying "NOT FOR USE INSIDE 400 yards". Nosler won't say that but I will. Bergers are great bullets and I have a bunch of them and they work really well most of the time - most of the time isn't good enough for me when it is crunch time. The AMAX is just a thin skinned version of the ELD-X (meaning it is worse than an ELD-X) which I like to run 3,000 fps or slower as they too are a bit too soft for close in work otherwise. If Barnes just isn't your cup of tea, I would not have a problem with an Accubond or Partition going normal non magnum velocities.

My 6.5 SS shooting 140 VLDs took 7 deer this fall. Big Canadian Alberta white tails and a few small white tails as well. Longest shot was 250 yards. Closest was 75 yards. Majority was in the 100 yard range. EVERY SINGLE DEER didn't take a step. All dropped right where they stood. I shot a whitetail with the .270 win and 130 gr VLD at 30 yards. That one had a pass through with a fist size exit.

Has anyone tried both the standard and HPBT Sierra Gamekings? Advantages of one over the other? It seems like the HPBT are tougher, and made to push faster?

I have yet to try a barnes bullet, but I just might have to.

letrbuck

The answer for me as to which I'd trust for shots on game under 200 yards is none of the above. When it absolutely positively really matters and I want to make sure I use a Barnes TTSX traveling as much over 3,000 fps as I can get. To ensure the 3,000 fps I'll drop bullet weight as much as I have to. A good example is the 210 TTSX running 3,200 fps out of my 338 RUM. Absolutely hammers elk. The hydrostatic shot is huge. A side benefit - the least meat damage possible this side of an FMJ. Another example, the 80 grain TTSX running 3,300 fps out of my 6mm Rem for deer. In my opinion the bullets you mentioned are horrible choices for general purpose use because they are too soft and tend to blow up at close range as you have rightly perceived. Having said that, a bullet is just a tool. There are no inherently bad bullets. They do what they are designed to do. Take the ABLR for example. If you ensure they hit the animal when traveling around 2,000 fps they will work just fine. They are a true long range hunting bullet. They should have a big warning label on them saying "NOT FOR USE INSIDE 400 yards". Nosler won't say that but I will. Bergers are great bullets and I have a bunch of them and they work really well most of the time - most of the time isn't good enough for me when it is crunch time. The AMAX is just a thin skinned version of the ELD-X (meaning it is worse than an ELD-X) which I like to run 3,000 fps or slower as they too are a bit too soft for close in work otherwise. If Barnes just isn't your cup of tea, I would not have a problem with an Accubond or Partition going normal non magnum velocities.

Couldn't agree with this more. Inside 200 yards at 3100-3200+ fps, its nearly impossible to get better performance than a TTSX. Accubond would be my 2nd choice and I would move up in bullet weight to keep muzzle velocity around 3000 fps.

No problems with Bergers at all ranges, here...

I had a 110 Accubond fail to expand at around 100 yards from a .257 Wby on a whitetail doe. Also had a 7mm 160 grain Barnes TSX fail. Both bullets that are considered "fail proof"... Anything man-made can fail. Good shot placement can help a bad situation be much much better than a bullet failure and a bad shot.

My point is, 6 in one hand, half a dozen in the other...Pick one and stick with it. Eventuall they will all produce a failure. You just have to learn to help keep that situation from being worse, when it does.

Personally, I love Bergers, and despite me having 1 fail to expand, my shot placement was perfect and it hit the CNS and the deer was a bang-flop. So, I'll keep using them, because accuracy has been stellar, and they have been more consistent than the other brands for me.

At .280 velocities, I would go with the 160 Partition (or even the 175), if your rifle likes them. It's a proven bullet that will easily handle the velocity range that a .280 can generate.

My 7x57 likes the same OAL for the 160 Partition and Berger 168 Classic Hunter. It shoots them at the same velocity (about 2700), same point of impact, and with the same degree of accuracy.

Has anyone tried both the standard and HPBT Sierra Gamekings? Advantages of one over the other? It seems like the HPBT are tougher, and made to push faster?

I have yet to try a barnes bullet, but I just might have to.

I've not tried the Sierra HPBT's yet because at the ranges you mentioned before is the same distance that I shoot and hunt and the Sierra Game kings and Pro Hunters have not failed. I've been loading, shooting and hunting with the Sierra bullets a long time in all different caliber rifles and at the distance you intend to hunt or shoot you won't have any problem with Sierra bullets, UNLESS, you make a bad hit and I don't care what bullet you have if you make a bad hit you'll have trouble.

I have used a 168gr Barnes ttsx out of my 300wm on 4 whitetail ranging in size from 130# dressed to 200# dressed. Ranges were from 50 to 250yds. Entry has always been caliber size and exits around 1-2" Inside was utter devastation. I couldn't find much of the heart of the deer I shot this year. One rib broken on entry, first 3" of sternum shattered, 3 ribs on exit broken and hanging outside of the deer, along with a softball sized piece of left lung. He still went 50yds... But tracking was simple. Shot was at 80yds while walking out to my stand. I have never recovered a Barnes, they have always been through and through. Minimal meat loss if I do my part.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.