Which Action

Do you prefer CRF or Push Fed action in a hunting rifle?

• Control round fed

Votes: 19 46.3%
  • Push fed

Votes: 22 53.7%

• Total voters

Ksduckhntr

Do you prefer CRF or Push Fed actions for strictly hunting purposes? Where and what rifle do you hunt with?

What were the situations for the fails? Were you hunting or at the range? Hopefully you didn't loose an animal over it.

Forced to pick one, Pre-64 Model 70's, or a Montana in a hunting rifle. I have Tikka's, Rugers 77's, and a bit of a #1 quirk as well.

What were the situations for the fails? Were you hunting or at the range? Hopefully you didn't loose an animal over it.

One was in the driveway demonstrating a control round feed to another guy. A little embarrassing. The other was trying to get a second shot into a deer. Fortunately the first shot was fatal.

I voted CRF having a warm spot for the Model 70, Pre-64 action used extensively in my earlier hunting years. For the last couple of decades though my competition and LRH rifles have all been push feeds. Functionally, I've experienced no difference in reliability or convenience between the two designs.

Always been a push freed guy, but found model 70 in 7mm STW and really thinking about getting it....I do have a old pre 64 30-06 and killed a few elk with when I was younger smooth as glass action.

I use to be a CRF fan. Most of my rifles were the model 70, pre 64 rifles. My first semi customs were built off the same. Still have all those rifles but my main hunting rifles are the push feed type. The reason for this is, not all my shots are long range and I don't carry a round chambered. So I carry a round that is easy to get to and open my bolt enough to slip the round in and close the bolt. Have found that I can do this very quite. Probably not a very good reason.

All of my actions are push round. A bunch of tunes up R700s, and a Lone Peak TI Fuzion. I have shot a ton of other customs too. I have a Montana in my safe right now, and not that impressed with it. I have had others over the years as well, again, I just prefer push round feeds.

I've got a soft spot for the old Winchesters and the Ruger M77s. I have more of those than anything else so I guess I'm a control feed guy.

All of my hunting rifles, meaning spot and stalk, are CRF, either M77 MKII, Kimbers or Win Model 70's. The ONLY fail, a double jam, I have ever had was using a push feed for the FIRST TIME, I hadn't familiarised myself with it's function fully, so after sliding a shell in the chamber, I failed to lower the bolt handle and when I withdrew the bolt, the shell stayed in place. My buddy informed me that I needed to lower the bolt on a round for it to come back out, so I pushed the bolt forward and the next round, which I had forgotten to unload the mag, was then pushed into the other one and jammed the bolt up somehow. Took considerable time to clear too, which my buddy, his rifle, was very unhappy about.

The only push feeds I use are when spotlighting, all are Rem 700's that are also my comp guns! They are switch barrel setups, so I can screw on a 22-250 barrel and go shoot varmints under the light. No need to have 100 different guns, just screw off a barrel and use a different cal. I often use my 260AI barrel also since I retired it from comp work. Does the trick.

Cheers.
:)

All my bolt actions are CRF, several Model 70's, a 1903 Springfield and a Mausingfield. It's what I started with on the 1903 and never really cared for push feed after that. As a handloader I like the fact that by pulling the bolt back slowly it presents the cases for me to grab rather than tossing them off the bench and denting them up.

Currently I hunt with a pre-war Model 70 but I will eventually get around to building a hunting rifle off either a Mausingfield Hunter or Defiance CRF action.

The only bolt gun I've had jam is a ruger m77, which is based off a Mauser action I believe so I voted push feed

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.