Which Action

Do you prefer CRF or Push Fed action in a hunting rifle?

• Control round fed

Votes: 19 46.3%
  • Push fed

Votes: 22 53.7%

• Total voters
All of my guns except 2 are push feeds. The that are not are single shots. Never had an issue with them. I had 1 crf and never an issue with it either. My favorite action is Rem 700 but have Sako's Tikka Rem and Winchester. I picked the Rem as favorite because of their reputation for out of box accuracy. Thus far that reputation has been well deserved for me.

I appreciate all the answers and explanations. Sounds like there really isn't much difference with in-field reliability.

The only case where I have purposely chose CRF actions were my bolt rifles used for African dangerous game, a 98 Mauser action 375H&H, and a pre 64 Model 70 458WM. It offers insurance against a short stroke, the additional surface area of the non-rotating extractor on the rim of the case(particularly with possible high pressure in the hot climate), and the ability to feed from from a non-upright position. That being said, the only critical failure I have seen with either action was during a Cape Buffalo hunt in Botswana back in the 80's when a hunter experienced a broken extractor on a follow up shot with his 98 Mauser.

Do you prefer CRF or Push Fed actions for strictly hunting purposes? Where and what rifle do you hunt with?
I'll take a controlled round feed action over push feeds all day every day and twice on Sundays.

If you polled the PH's in Africa who hunt dangerous game you'll find very close to 100% agreement amongst them because of their reliability when lives are on the line.

Unless something is very wrong with your setup about the only way to have a failure to feed with a CRF is to stutter your bolt throw in a way as to double stroke when the round is being chambered.

With the post 64 CRF Model 70 being the most prolific, there is a watch out. Unlike the ore-64 design, the two piece bot handle/bolt body uses a sleeved press fit as opposed to the originals welded one piece design. With heavy and prolonged use, the sleeve can give way and result in the bolt handle slipping. It can be easily avoided or repaired by having a gunsmith spot weld the sleeve to the bolt body. I don't know if the factory ever addressed this, but it was the case with the post 64 CRF's produced out of Hartford back in the 90's.

Unless something is very wrong with your setup about the only way to have a failure to feed with a CRF is to stutter your bolt throw in a way as to double stroke when the round is being chambered.

That was certainly not my experience. Nothing seemed to be wrong. Once the jam was cleared the rifle functioned correctly.

The only bolt gun I've had jam is a ruger m77, which is based off a Mauser action I believe so I voted push feed
True, a M77 is based off of a M98, but if it's a tang safety model, then it IS a pushfeed, just with a giant claw extractor.
The M77 MK II are genuine CRF, as the bolt grabs the rim as soon as the case leaves the magazine.

Just thought I would clear that up.

Cheers.
:)

True, a M77 is based off of a M98, but if it's a tang safety model, then it IS a pushfeed, just with a giant claw extractor.
The M77 MK II are genuine CRF, as the bolt grabs the rim as soon as the case leaves the magazine.

Just thought I would clear that up.

Cheers.
:)
It's a mkII.

Shoot both and would be fine with either. Both are reliable and have pros and cons. It's a little bit like arguing how much difference there is between a .5MOA gun and a .4MOA, in terminal performance or effective range.

I prefer push fed actions. I find control round fed actions to be useless and ugly.

I have a Winchester M70 in a push feed. I wish they would go back to offering the push fed actions, instead of the control round fed actions.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.