which 6mm bullet for long range

yotehunter243

I have a 6-284 on the way to my house from Benchmark. The 6mm has a 27'' 8 twist barrel on it. I am wondering what bullets you all recommend. Its going to be a "long range" coyote rig and future Pronghorn gun and occasional whitetail. Im torn between, 107 Matchking, 105 Amax, 105 Berger (already have a box), 105 Scenar. What do you guys recommend? AS you probably have come to realize i dont care about hide damage ha.

I'm currently shootin' a 6mmXC. Sierra 107g MK and Berger 108g Target bullets land in one ragged hole @ 200yds. Certainly do the job on coyotes and pds' as far away as I can hit 'um. Haven't tried the others, see no need to. When the Bergers are gone, it'll be just the SMK. My barrel,,,, Shilen Select Match (that sat in its tube in the shop for 6yrs. before being used last yr.) 1 in 8 twist, finished @26", Melonite/Blk. Nitride treated. Pick the one that your barrel likes the best,, if you're lucky, it'll like 'um all!

From day one with my 6-284 the 105 A-Max would blow-up before hitting the target, even if they work in yours they wont for many rounds. The scenar has the opposite problem, they are a great target bullet but have little to no expansion on game.
The 107gr SMK's and the Berger 105gr VLD's are the way to go

UncleB, i do recall reading about the Amax not holding together in the fast 6mm. I am glad you said that. I am a big fan of the Berger Bullets. I have shot them in the 68gr flat base, 70gr flat base, 87gr VLD (a yote hammer in a 243wssm in AR) and the 35gr in 204 ruger. I may buy a Box of the Matchking to atleast have to try. I am also curious if anyone has tried the 115gr.???

Kevin Cram is building my dad a fast twist 6-06AI and I think the 115 Berger VLD is the first bullet they are working with so in time I'll have some information as to how well the 115 does in his hot rod 6mm.

+1 for the berger 105 vld. tried the amax and they were blowing up. had the bergers up to 3400fps and have yet to have one blow up on me. I was hoping the amax would have worked but it didnt, they would probably work great in a 9 twist but mine is an 8 and they didnt like. The 107 smk would make a good target bullet but unreliable expansion on game such as deer.

Kevin Cram is building my dad a fast twist 6-06AI and I think the 115 Berger VLD is the first bullet they are working with so in time I'll have some information as to how well the 115 does in his hot rod 6mm.

I could not get the 115 bergers to hold together in a 7.5 twist, the dtacs fared much better. I still shoot the 115 dtac in 243Ai and 6x47 lapua. It has proven lethal on game thus far.

Currently using the 105 Berger hybrid in my 6mm-284. (1 in 7.5 twist 28" Bartlein 5R) With a G1 BC of .547 and insensitivity to seating depth it is my choice. FYI the 115 Berger VLD has a G1 BC of .545.

Berger is supposed to have a line of hunting hybrids out eventually. Have no idea if they will bother with the 6mm though.

I have the same barrel as AZShooter 1in7.5" twist 5R Bartlein barrel finished at 30".I originally wanted to shoot the 115 DTAC and 115 VLD's but I think the 105 Hybrid along with the 107smk & the 108VLD will do you just fine. Your 1in 8" twist may or may not stabilize the 115's! Never could get the Amaxs to shoot in either of my 6mm's but that could just be my rifles?

gun)

Looking at the BC's of the Hybrid 105's and 115 VLD the Hybrid 105's look like they could/would be the better choice.

From what I have been reading the Hybrid 105's are holding together better in these hor rod 6mm's.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.