Which .338???

06mauser

This question probably has been asked already but, which .338 case would you build your next long range rifle for. There is a lot of these big sticks around now from the lapua, am, edge, um. I just don't really have an idea where to go.

Thanks,

I have a 338 hart which is a 338-300 ultra mag. If I was to build another I would go lapua improved of some sort, or do a 338-408, all depends on your use, I would probably lean towards the 338-408 though. if you want absolute simplest i would say 338 rum.

I'd go with a 338 Edge for the following reasons.

1- Ease of forming brass. No fireforming.

2- Price of brass. Just buy 300RUM brass.

3- Simple to reload.

4- Mine sends 300SMKs happily on their way at 2870fps.

This question probably has been asked already but, which .338 case would you build your next long range rifle for. There is a lot of these big sticks around now from the lapua, am, edge, um. I just don't really have an idea where to go.

Thanks,

Not enough info, custom action / Rem how fast do you want to send em what length barrel what are you hunting and realisticly how far. Too many good 338's out there that are vastly different

"06",

I have to agree with Rimefire, we need more info to answer your question.

Most people don't want to pack a 17+lb rifle in the mountains (I do) so if that is your use the 338 AM may not be your ticket...... However, if sending a 300 SMK down range as fast and flat as possible, the AM is the way to go.

I have a 338 rum, 338 edge, 338 win mag, and 2 338 Kahn's (338/378 improved). As a general rule I find myself reaching for one of the Kahns when I start planning a hunt. I suspect if I had a 338AM that is what I would be carrying. I just like the big guns and don't mind packing the weight.

If I had it to do all over again, and just wanted 1 moderate weight rifle (12-15lbs unscoped) I would probably go with the 338 Lapua. Great brass, a very accurate round, no fireforming....... similar performance as the Edge. Go with AI version and you have the best performance without going all the way to the 338AM. Obviously my opinion! Everyone has one!

With your limited information, a short answer would be 338 Lapua for a light(er) weight rifle or the 338 Allen Mag if you want to go for the best, most high power thing out there. Either way, get Kirby, (Fiftydiriver) to build it for you, you won't be sorry!

Something else you didn't mention was do you want to retain the option of being able to shoot factory ammo. If you DO, that will narrow the field down. 338win 338RUM 338-378wby all are good choices no doubt

But, If you are looking to do a custom action based build, IMO, it's pretty tough to look any further than Kirby's 338AX. You get to use Lapua brass. It will come with it's own custom dies. You can send Kirby your standard 338 Lapua brass and for a very reasonable fee he will return it to you as 338AX (338AX is Kirby's version of a 338 Lapua Improved) There are quite a few of these out there so load information won't be an issue. You could pretty much call it one stop shopping with a great end result.

One of my best friends has one of Kirby's 338AX and loves it. His was built on a Stiller action w/28in #5 and is wearing a NF 5.5-22x50 weighs about 11lbs. He shot his 338AX w/300SMK and his MkV 257Wby w/100PT yesterday. His 338 has a break the 257wby does not. After shooting both, he amazed at how his big 338 had less felt recoil than his 257.

But, If you are looking to do a custom action based build, IMO, it's pretty tough to look any further than Kirby's 338AX. You get to use Lapua brass. It will come with it's own custom dies. You can send Kirby your standard 338 Lapua brass and for a very reasonable fee he will return it to you as 338AX (338AX is Kirby's version of a 338 Lapua Improved) There are quite a few of these out there so load information won't be an issue. You could pretty much call it one stop shopping with a great end result.

+1 on the 338AX. Kirby is now also selling Jamison 338 Ax fireformed and headstamped brass. I haven't received mine yet but Kirby says its pretty good brass.He will also still fireform the Lapua brass for a reasonable fee as B23 has already said. When I was looking to build a 338 I went with the 338Ax because it fit what I wanted best. I personally think you can't go wrong with any of the big 338s you mentioned. Find the one that meets your needs and budget. Kirby has been absolutely great to deal with and I highly recommend him. Good luck.
Dan

Well here it goes.

Action: Custom Remington possibly with a Sako Extractor
Barrel: 28" to 30' medium contour barrel, fluted
Muzzle Brake: Yes
Stock: Mcmillian A-4
Gun Weight 10-12 lbs
Shots: 1000 to 1500 yards
Targets: Antelope to Elk

I have a .338 win mag that really just sits around. It is fitted with 4X Khales scope. I use it for a close range work in the timber hunting elk once in a while and as a blackbear gun.

I have always though about a Lapua. In a gun chambered for Kirby's 338 AX can you also shoot 338 Lapua rounds in it similar to the Ackley improved cartridges?

After over 1000 rounds through my rifle. A deer and an Elk taken beynd 1100 yards, one shot cold bore kills. Many palamino speed goats past 800, rocks past 1 mile. groups .5 moa at 1400 plus yards, here is what I can tell you about a 338 Lapua.

$250 for 100 pcs of brass and 10 firings later they are still checking good and holding .0005" to .001" Total run out. Primers seat with the same tension still in each case and feels the same. So I hardly think you can call this brass high priced.

MV with 300 gr bullets @ 2800 with out pushing it. This is with 92.5 gr of H-1000 on the above discribed brass from a 27 1/2" Lilja

Off the shelf dies. Buy Reding "S" type bushing dies and learn to use them correctly and your Lapua brass will give you very straight ammo.

NO fireforming or expanding cases that may produce huge runout for the first firing. None... Load em.

Take your Lapua brass out of the box and load it if you want. It is that good!

Off the shelf reamer that is standard and will shoot factory ammo too with good accuracy.

Barrel life that will not go away just when you have your rifle all set up, dialed in and your confinence level good. 1000 plus rounds and still shooting .5 moa.

What more could one want in a , practical, affordable ,338?

Thats my 2 cents.

Jeff gun)gun)

"06",
Now we have info! I agree a lot with Broz..... a Lapua would be hard to go wrong with. 1500 yards seems a little optimistic for just the standard Lapua, but it can be done. 1000 yards is no problem. If you really want to reach on out to 1500 then one of Lapua improved may be a better option. In that case I would go with Kirby's 338AX.

Of course the Edge would work well out to 1000+, but at risk of starting a war with other Edge shooters, I think there are better rounds to reach on out to 1500 if that is your ultimate goal.

Realistically I will probably not have the opportunity to take a shot over 1200 yards at anything larger than an antelope. Elk and mule deer at a distances between 750 and 1000 are more reasonable in the area that I hunt usually.

On a other note I am still wondering if you can shoot standard Lapua rounds in kirby's AX chambered gun or can you only shoot the AX rounds.

Thanks

06" you said remington action. That leaves you with the ultramags. It is possible to open up the bolt face and do the lapua, excalibur, 378 case size cartridges but I wouldn't do it on a remington. The best you can realistically do on the remington action would be the 338 RUM or 338-300 ultramag wildcat. I like the 338 RUM the best of those. If you want to go beyond 1000 yards get an action that will handle the excalibur, 378 wby or lapua case and do one of those. They are much better choices beyond 1000 yards.

Yes. Typically, standard 338 Lapua rounds shoot very well when fireforming for the 338AX or other 338 Lapua imp's.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.