Which .338??

Why not just buy a TRG-S Sako sporter. It is still heavy and I have a friend who has one. It shoots under an inch at 100 yds.

Thanks for the reply's guys! As you can tell I am really picking away at this so, I will probably give Northland a call at some point.

Well, I did ream the old barrel yesterday morning, first time ever doing that and it came out perfect, bolt will close on the go gauge but not on the go gauge with scotch tape on the back of it. I think the reamer removed all of the old chamber just barely, go gauge does have a slight amount of play, I'm going to see how a loaded round fits before I'll say lets shoot it?

Then I went to work on in-letting the stock to allow that barrel to fit floated.

My plan is to give this barrel a shot in the original stock, bed the action etc. and see how it shoots. I ordered up a set of redding s dies and a box of loaded e-tips(cheapest I could find), also going to order 100 rounds of brass.

I did pick up a Bartlein barrel that will likely end up on this rifle but it will require a different stock, won't work in the stock that came on the gun originally. Not much choice when it comes to a stock for these old Ruger actions, Boyds, McMillan or MPI custom?

Gary

Been following this thread.

I have three Ruger tang safety M77s. Two SA and one LA. All have McMillan stocks. The SAs have the long discontinued ultralight stock. I found the second ultralight on 24 hr a few years ago. You never know when you will find one for sale. The LA has the Hunter stock. Looked at McMillan's site and don't know if they will inlet for the older tang safetys anymore. Did find a McMillan classic at Stockys so I guess they do. I really like the hunter version over a classic shape. Weight is approx. 2.25 lbs.

As to the mag box: my gunsmith lengthened all mag boxes of these Rugers. He cut and added some steel to the existing box and opened up the receiver as well as the stocks. SA is now 3.1" , LA is 3.355".

I like the ease with which you can machine a barrel for these older Rugers. No cut for extractor. Just make the 1" x 16 threaded shank and chamber!

If nothing else you can fireform all your brass in the older barrel's chamber if it has the correct dimensions.

Will continue to follow your thread.

P1010079.JPG
P1010080.JPG
Well I've got it all back together and just shot the first group on paper with factory Nosler 225 E-tip. The stock has been bedded and barrel floated. And yes it kicks and needs a brake. This barrel won't allow a screw on brake, not enough meat at the muzzle! I am thinking about a clamp on but not sure if I like that idea?

Well, I am still working on this rifle. I've got the new barrel on it with a brake.
I've been waiting patiently for boyds to come out with the AT ONE Thumb hole for it and they finally did here a week or two ago. Got an email this morning say that they have shipped it so it shouldn't be long and I'll have it all together and have an update!

Gary

P1010175.JPG

Well I've got it all together and shooting.
Ruger M77 Tang Safety
33 Nosler
Boyds At One Thumbhole
Bartlien Light Palma 24"
MBM Beast
Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16

I've been shooting Factory 225 E-tips(cheaper than buying brass)
Even those are showing promise-under an inch at 100yds from the bench.
Gonna use those(100 rounds) till I am through them, then will work up some hand-loads. These are shooting around 2870fps

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.