Where did this load go!

ishootkittens

I was reading through an old reloading manual by P.O. Ackley ad I was very interested in something he said.

(Ackley): "The Barnes cartridge used a 200 grain 6.5 bullet at over 2700 foot seconds with 64 grains of machine gun powder. Later Barnes worked out a .228 cartridge using bullets up to 150 grains. (Imagine a 150 grain .22 bullet), Finally settling on a 125 grain .22 bullet. The case is the Improved .257 Roberts necked down to a .22. This will smash both shoulders of the largest elk. Barnes has done it."

W T F...Where did this load go! Does anyone know the logic or the history behind this load. Ive neeever heard of a 200 grain 6.5 bullet or a 150gr 22 bullet! Am I missing something... or did i just over look something... or.... someone please help lol.

It would be one thing if I was making this up or if I was speculating.. but dang. P.O. put that exact paragraph in his boook on page 541 of his "handbook for shooters: volume 1".

I have never heard of this either. I am so curious to what some have to say. How would you make a .22 bullet 150 grains.. that would be a half inch long bullet! lol lol

They were one offs I'm sure, I don't have my Ackley books here to reference. 150 grain 22 bullet would be well over half inch...four times that or more I think. Demand, along with the required chamber/twist/rifle/etc. just didn't/don't make them practical for common use. You could certainly build one though. The folks responsible for what is common nowadays played with lots of ideas.

It would be one thing if I was making this up or if I was speculating.. but dang. P.O. put that exact paragraph in his boook on page 541 of his "handbook for shooters: volume 1".

I have never heard of this either. I am so curious to what some have to say. How would you make a .22 bullet 150 grains.. that would be a half inch long bullet! lol lol

Have you ever seen how you manufacture a copper jacket bullet? The copper tubing is coming off a roll and being drawn straight and chopped to desired length. You could make hot lead filled bullets as long as you like

Back at the dawn of time there was an well illustrated article on this cartridge in the American Rifleman where the author called it 6.5 Cutie rather than 6.5 Barnes Q.T. using the 200 grain bullet. The standard twist was one in five and half inches. This article possibly would have been from the 1950's There is a picture of this creation on page 369 of Ackley's vol. #1

I'm guessing the logic behind either of these was to see how fast it was humanly possible to destroy a rifled barrel. My guess would be, "pretty quickly".

Going through Ackley's Books is a real trip. Some of the creations have no use and may have been a menace to the public safety. On the other hand, look at how many of our current cartridges had wildcat beginnings. If nothing else some of these experimenters, for better or worse, drew attention to the possibilities. lightbulb

I like the guy, and I myself am a menace to public safetY! lol. He was a wild character just Jack oconner, they are both early pioneers in shooting. But they were wild men i tell ya!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.