When should i anneal during case preparation?

huntinghuasna

I would like to start annealing my brass after every third firing. The brass is 6.5 Creedmoor and I'm using a salt bath method. I'm wondering when to anneal during my case preparation. As a matter of fact, I'd love to hear some case prep techniques, in order, from start to finish. This is my first post, thanking in advance for any advice.

I only anneal during initial preparations if later fire forming will significantly change brass shape (like improving shoulders). With this, I dip all the way to mid-bodies.
Your brass should come factory annealed.

I anneal every firing. My order deprime, anneal, size, check trim length, check neck thickness at the neck shoulder junction on turned brass (roughly every other firing), prime, load, shoot.

Jeffvn

The heat generated by annealing stretches the neck a bit. Therefor, I recommend sizing after the annealing is completed.

I always anneal after cleaning, and size afterwards, then tumble the cases.
I anneal every firing in my comp rifles, but only at intervals of 2-3 firings in my hunting/varmint rifles.
Neck tension is critical in my comp brass, but for hunting brass when seating gets a bit tough I anneal.

Cheers.

The heat generated by annealing stretches the neck a bit. Therefor, I recommend sizing after the annealing is completed.
I recommend sizing after annealing also but have never seen the neck stretching a bit.
You might be doing your annealing a bit HOT

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts