When Do You Give Up On A Rifle

kimberyote

I have been reloading for a 7 rem mag for several years. Bought it used. Had it glass bedded & trigger adjusted. Redding Type s full length bushing dies. Tried 8 different bullet/ powder combo. Just shoots MOA w/ Leupy 3-10 CDS. It has a slight burr on case shoulder in chamber. Sent to smith but still there. Just not as bad.
My problem is reloading. Last year experienced case head separation after 2 reloadings that feed stiff. Ordered new brass.
Shot ok with virgin loading. However, I am having difficulty sizing for smooth feeding. I can set the shoulder back with no improvement. I sent 5 fired cases to redding that they sized and results were the same (3 cases).
I covered sized brass from redding and my sized brass with a black marker to show contact points with nothing conclusive.
Any ideas on what to try next as far as reloading? If I would sell & buy a new rifle what would you recommend for Mule deer in Colorado? I am thinking about a 6.5 or another .284 with NO BELT!
Then which rifle for around a grand? Thanks in advance LRH members!

I think that there is probably something seriously wrong with the chamber. If what you've been doing hasn't fixed it I would say re-chamber.
If you sell it I would probably go to a .270 WSM or 7 WSM if you can find it in a Winchester coyote light.

If the chamber or barrel is bad you will never get it to shoot good.

It sounds like you have a bad chamber or head space.

I would recommend putting a new barrel (Premium) on it and have a new chamber cut for it.

You should be able to get the action trued, new barrel and chamber done , and stay under your budget.

J E CUSTOM

If the chamber or barrel is bad you will never get it to shoot good.

It sounds like you have a bad chamber or head space.

I would recommend putting a new barrel (Premium) on it and have a new chamber cut for it.

You should be able to get the action trued, new barrel and chamber done , and stay under your budget.

J E CUSTOM

+1.

I wonder, what did you have the smith do? Did he true the action and bolt etc.

I assume you are not in love with this rifle so a new one might be better and you can sell it to fund a new one. I saw a Remington 700 BDL at Walmart last night for 777.00. Weird number huh?

If you like it, just rebarrel it and have it trued up. I think the local smiths do a nice rebarrel for around 600 with some bolt truing. The thing would shoot well and feel awesome with some good smith work.

Sale the rifle and pick you up a Savage rifle in your favorite caliber. If you want a 6.5 cal go with the 6.5-284. Better yet if you can find you a used Savage rifle especially if it has the accutrigger cheap then order you a Shilen pre-threaded and chambered barrel in either 6.5X55 or 6.5-06 and screw it on yourself. It only takes a minimum of tools that don't cost much. Savage is the tinker toy for big boys. :D

Sale the rifle and pick you up a Savage rifle in your favorite caliber. If you want a 6.5 cal go with the 6.5-284. Better yet if you can find you a used Savage rifle especially if it has the accutrigger cheap then order you a Shilen pre-threaded and chambered barrel in either 6.5X55 or 6.5-06 and screw it on yourself. It only takes a minimum of tools that don't cost much. Savage is the tinker toy for big boys. :D

LOL, you are gunna start a fight with this one. However, I agree, ha ha.

.280 Ackley Improved 40* Shoulder is my recommendation. You can find a factory .280 rifle and have your smith ream the chamber to .280 AI for probably $50. But if you're at the smith already, might as well pay him $150 to remove the barrel, true the action, and rechamber while he's got it off.

I have been reloading for a 7 rem mag for several years. Bought it used. Had it glass bedded & trigger adjusted. Redding Type s full length bushing dies. Tried 8 different bullet/ powder combo. Just shoots MOA w/ Leupy 3-10 CDS. It has a slight burr on case shoulder in chamber. Sent to smith but still there. Just not as bad.
My problem is reloading. Last year experienced case head separation after 2 reloadings that feed stiff. Ordered new brass.
Shot ok with virgin loading. However, I am having difficulty sizing for smooth feeding. I can set the shoulder back with no improvement. I sent 5 fired cases to redding that they sized and results were the same (3 cases).
I covered sized brass from redding and my sized brass with a black marker to show contact points with nothing conclusive.
Any ideas on what to try next as far as reloading? If I would sell & buy a new rifle what would you recommend for Mule deer in Colorado? I am thinking about a 6.5 or another .284 with NO BELT!
Then which rifle for around a grand? Thanks in advance LRH members!

I seen from some of your prior post that you load for the 300WSM and 338 laupa also 243.

I've had few rifles that it's taken me little time to find the right load but at some point it's spending good money on bad result. As far as selling I'd have a hard time knowing how the rifle shot and depending on what action your 7mag is on I'd have it rebarreled. Well good luck

Here's a suggestion that hasn't been mentioned. Probably for good reason.:)

I thrive on these kinds of challenges and a long winter is coming up.

How about sending the rifle to me to attempt to sort out. That is, get to the real reason she's a bummer.

Only cost to you would be shipping and FFL fee at my end.

No guarantees except that it won't be blemished or otherwise made worse.

I provide all reloading components and equipment.

there will be no machining, honing, metal work without your permission and then done only by recognized quality smith if approved.

Any bedding, rebedding, pillars, skim would be done by me, if it is determined necessary.

It would make a fun project to document here.

Just tho't I throw this out.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts