What to do and not do when building a rifle? Looking at a 260AI.

Andy4600

No, when I dropped everything at the gunsmith shop I gave them a LRX dummy round set to 2.950 OAL. Told them I wanted .050 free bore for this set up. That's exactly what I got back.

I'm on my second 260ai and learned all the lessons on the first one I had built. It was a expensive way to learn what not to do. Now that first one is just a fire forming barreled action.

I saw the above on a different thread. I have an old Remington 700 ADL in 22-250 that is in need of a new barrel. I was looking strongly at a 260AI (and a few other options). Does anyone have some of the lessons you have learned with a rifle build that you are willing to pass on?

To start, know what bullet you want to shoot. If you want to shoot a long bullet like the 156 Berger or heavier mono, I would recommend getting an extended BDL mag box from Wyatts and have your gunsmith install it, like one of these -

3.1" OAL -

3.235" OAL mid length kit, will work with a standard remington action, but not most clones -

Next, pick the appropriate twist. For 140 lead core or lighter, get an 8 twist. If you want to shoot heavier monos, or 140+ lead core bullets, I would get a 7 or 7.5 twist. When you send your rifle to the smith, have it throated for the bullet of your choice seated properly in the case, to get the most performance put of it. The saami .260 rem throat will have the 156 pretty deep in the case, ask me how I know.

Next, how much do you want your rifle to weigh? If you want it light, a lot of thought has to go into EVERY component. Tell us what your gonna use it for and what you think you want it to weigh.

This will get you started!

Work with your smith and describe what you want. Before anything is signed or a deposit be clear what the end product should be. Any deviation of that deal needs to be talked about before any changes are made. It's your rifle and you have to carry it. It's not your gunsmiths rifle that you get to lug around.

I don't have a great deal of experience good or bad with the custom rifle build. In my situation I am going to rely on a top quality GS to provide the input and direction given my purpose for the rifle. I really enjoy trying different bullet and powder combinations in a rifle. With that in mind I heeded the advise of the GS and am going with a SAAMI chamber. Sure it can limit some of super long monos from being maximized, but will give me a base throat to work with on a variety of bullets. Compromise is always a factor in the custom rifle world.

We have built 3 - 260 AI all with Schneider barrels 1x8 twist- we use 50 grains of H1000 for fire forming loads with 95 grain Hornady V Max bullets seated out as far as possible- We have stayed with 50 grains of H1000 with 129 grain Nosler AccuBond LR in my grandsons 260 AI- 26" #4 weight barrel, ( 2800 fps)Stiller Predator action and Jewell trigger set at 2.5 lbs and he has made shots out to 605 yards on antelope and it works great on whitetail deer and feral hogs he has taken, I shoot 142 grain Nosler AccuBonds over 50 grains of H1000 , I also load Berger 130 VLD Hunting bullets (3025 fps) with the same load and have great perfomance on all game, 30" fluted Varmint weight barrel with Stiller Predator action and a Shilen trigger set at 2 lbs. Both guns have McMillan M5 stocks. Both guns are very accurate and I yet to fire my 3rd rifle that is identical to my grandsons gun. We really like the round and I am a big Ackley Improved cartridge fan!!

This round sounds like a cool round to play with. But unfortunately I haven't took the jump just yet. I'm having a hard time getting away from my 6.5x47

Buy once, cry once! I did a 700 build and hated it. Cost me twice as much to do it over with a custom action for basically the same build.

Get a good barrel. There's lots out there just pick one of the good names.

Decide on a weight you want to hit. I personally don't like multi purpose guns. If you want a target gun, build a target gun. If you want a hunting gun, focus on exactly what you want. I built my first few trying to compromise in one area to make both work perfect. Now I have 2 rifles slightly heavy for hunting, and slightly light for my ideal target weight. They shoot awesome but I tend to reach for others due cause I built
Rifles more specific to my needs.

I choose to run a Lilja 3 groove. I like the added velocity I am able to pull out of them with monos. It makes the slower powders perform better as the engraving pressure is higher.

I don't have a great deal of experience good or bad with the custom rifle build. In my situation I am going to rely on a top quality GS to provide the input and direction given my purpose for the rifle. I really enjoy trying different bullet and powder combinations in a rifle. With that in mind I heeded the advise of the GS and am going with a SAAMI chamber. Sure it can limit some of super long monos from being maximized, but will give me a base throat to work with on a variety of bullets. Compromise is always a factor in the custom rifle world.
You are leaving performance on the table by limiting a custom to a SAAMI chamber except maybe on the CM/PRC cartridges.

Does anyone have some of the lessons you have learned with a rifle build that you are willing to pass on?
#1 assume anyone doing the work on your gun is a liar.
Do not believe anything they tell you,, especially when it just happens to be anything you want.
Have a worst case plan for this -upfront.

#1 assume anyone doing the work on your gun is a liar.
Do not believe anything they tell you,, especially when it just happens to be anything you want.
Have a worst case plan for this -upfront.
Dang! That is rough.

I don't feel that way about our smith.

I like what Cody said about cartridge length and magazine length. Hopefully your smith will be ahead of you on these things and ask those questions up front.

My best advice is know what you want to use the rifle for and convey that to your smith. Probably the biggest complaint I hear from customers is their smith wanted to stick with traditional twist rates for a given cartridge. I would recommend faster than traditional with most bullets on the market. There are some thin jacketed bullets that could have trouble, but most won't.

Don't get too worked up and lose sleep over a project.

Managing expectations is the best advice I can give. Especially when it comes to budget and time frame. In today's world of supply chain issues and inflation it will probably cost more and take longer than you think at the start of the project. But in the end you will have a rifle built just for you.