What bullet do you most often grab for when looking for accuracy in a hunting rifle?

Re: What bullet do you most often grab for when looking for accuracy in a hunting rif

1. Berger VLD
2. Hornady SST
3. Barnes TSX

In this order.

Re: What bullet do you most often grab for when looking for accuracy in a hunting rif

They're also overly exaggerated in the BC department, too.

Thank you MudRunner, I've read the same about them. Maybe I will try them if someone gives them to me.

Sierra game bullets or Nosler ballistic tips for me. Only have one rifle, 264 Win mag, that I went with the 130 Accubond first off because of it's reputation for flying like a ballistic tip and holding together like a partition and it does exactly that.

Sierra game bullets or Nosler ballistic tips for me. Only have one rifle, 264 Win mag, that I went with the 130 Accubond first off because of it's reputation for flying like a ballistic tip and holding together like a partition and it does exactly that.

Beware of the man that only owns one rifle...

264 Win mag with a 130 Accubond does sound like a great combination.

1. Sierra pro hunter
2. Hornady- interlock or match
3. Nosler tipped- bt, ab, or lrab are all equal in my book
4. Speer TNT- also have seen great accuracy with hot core and bt's at times
5. Barnes- tsx or lrx

If the rifle won't shoot one of these makes of bullets (after making sure the rifle and scope are sound) it finds a new home.

.223 Rem Hornady 53gr V-Max
6mm Rem. Varmints 85gr Sierra BTHP, Big Game Hornady 100gr BTSP
.264 Win Mag. 120gr. Nosler BT it's tougher than you think.
300 H&H Mag. was 180gr Nosler Partition now 180gr Nosler AB
This is what has worked for me. I have tried others but for all around performance this is what I use. Just FYI I want performance 1st cost 2nd.
I have not tried Bergers Bullets because of the twist rate for there bullets, my rifles are all factory barrels. If I had aftermarket barrels with a faster twist rate I would try Berger Bullets. Good Hunting.

Thank you MudRunner, I've read the same about them. Maybe I will try them if someone gives them to me.

Not that they're bad bullets, because if they perform like the regular old Accubonds, they'll be excellent for deer.....But the false BC's is what has kept me from trying them. If they had Berger BC's and sleek design, with Accubond legendary performance, they would be unstoppable.

Berger VLD
Berger Hybrid
Nosler AB

These are my top 3 in order right now. Waiting for the .338 Long Range AB to turn up. Wishful thinkin??

Good to know they have intentions! Thanks for the info

I wish Berger would make a 7mm 168 Hyrbid shaped like the 180 Hybrids.

Longer on the cone and bearing surface, and not rounded near the meplat, like the Classic Hunters and Juggernauts are.

I have a good number of rifles. I meant that with the 264 Win mag that it is the only rifle that I have tried an Accubond bullet in. Because of it's high velocity and the chance of having a deer at 25 yards as well as along the horizon I wanted a bullet that would not evaporate at close range and still expand well at longer ranges. So far from 30 to right at 500 yards the 130 Accubond has performed perfectly. I have shot a dozen of so deer with this bullet in my 264 Win mag at 3350 fps and all deer have been DRT.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.