When to give up on a barrel?

Yes did seating test with berger 168 and 180s. Also with the 169 and 155 hh.
Have also tried fierce's dirt nap loaded ammo in 160gr accubond and 180 vld.
Plus 162 gr hornady eldx and federal 155 gr terminal assent.
My reloading friend is pretty much hooked on using h 1000. He says he can get any 28 nos to shoot to it's best potential with h1000 and he has done a lot of load work in other 28s and other calibers. I have suggested we use a different powder but he said it won't help?? I noticed in the hammer loads hardly anyone is using h1000. A lot are using rl 26 and n570 but I do not have those. I do however have retumbo, imr8133, n568, us 869, ramshot magnum and lrt. Maybe my rifle just doesn't like h1000?
He does use a lab radar and does ladder tests in .5 grain increments to find nodes.
RL 33 should be great for the 33 NOS. It is in all my big cased cartridges. What I consider ot be medium case magnums would be those like the 7mm Rem and .300wm which really seem to love RL 26.

Riverguy
We down under have tried several carbon wrapped barrels and have found that all of them have done the same thing
We are commercial hunters and we also shoot F Class out to 1500 metres so we are use to all the perameters that should fix the problem however what we have found is similar to having your stock touching your barrel therefore we feel that the dissimilar materials wrapped around the barrel is effecting the harmonics
This is my first carbon barrel and am real sure it will be my last. I will be trying to get this one to shoot better. These days a good education is not cheap.

If it's a hunting rifle why are you worrying about 5 shot groups?

No insult but this is a mistake many of us have made including myself.

In the field a first shot in two follow ups are about all you're ever likely to get on a single came animal.

When do I give up? When I can't a get a decent 3 shot group out of a hunting rifle.
I've learned my lesson on that too. 3 shot groups from here out.

My 26N had the clickers issue, the die fixed it up until I could get the chamber polished. That fixed it and I can run standard dies now.
That's good to know.
Now my next dilemma is my smith has his mind made up the click issue is caused by the bolt not being timed correctly. I think I will have to buy a new die.

Update...... the bolt clicking issue was stopped after purchasing a bullet central micron sizing die.

Also, as far as the accuracy issue goes I made several calls to fierce to let them know what was going on. When I say several I mean a lot. Never did talk to one of big dogs, they were always too busy to take my call. But the good news is the one of the big dogs did at least leave a post it note with the young man that normally answers the phone. The young man said the note stated to send it back.

Awesome!! So I box it up and send it back for the second time which they received on March 29th.
So I give them time to check it over and shoot it.
I called them for an update about 3 weeks ago. They said they shot it and admitted is was in fact not consistent with their guarantee. Said they were in the process of figuring out what the problem is. I said ok sounds good we are getting to the bottom of the issue.
Called again last week for another update. I just like to be kept in the loop.
While I was on hold the phone guy and the gunsmith had a short meeting about my rifle.
They said the barrel looked great so were looking for other issues that may affect accuracy????
Also stated that if they were unable to find an issue that they would replace the barrel and send it back.
So that is where I am at right now with them and my rifle.

Not bashing on fierce here just stating the facts.
I love the rifles fit and finish and it feels good in my hands when shooting.
Just a accuracy inconsistency problem.

Wanted to update for the posters who took the time to try and help me out with all the good suggestions.
I will keep updating when things shake out.

I missed this back in December, but I read it all just now. Originally Fierce said it would shoot 3-rounds under 0.5, which is kind of the standard for hunting rifles. But you were concerned that it wouldn't shoot a 5-round groups at 0.5. What were you getting at home for 3-round groups and for 5-round groups?

I would let the barrel cool in between shots when shooting 5 or 3.
Now it just 3. It just shot inconsistent, one group would be ok after cooling then the next group would open up to an 1in or bigger. Seemed to be all over the place.

Now it just 3. It just shot inconsistent, one group would be ok after cooling then the next group would open up to an 1in or bigger. Seemed to be all over the place.
That makes sense. If you're holding Fierce to a standard of 5-shot group at 0.5 or better, that's a tough standard. But if you're getting 3-shot groups of 1.0, off sand bags, that's not good.

It is not always the barrel. A bad scope or a bedding/stock fit problem can cause the same results.

Last edited:
Just for the sake of acquiring data….next time you go to the range weigh your loaded rounds. Separate them into 3 groups
Light, middle weight, heavy. Shoot your group using each one. That might help identify anything needing attention.
FWIW

That makes sense. If you're holding Fierce to a standard of 5-shot group at 0.5 or better, that's a tough standard. But if you're getting 3-shot groups of 1.0, off sand bags, that's not good.
Just to be clear I was cooling the barrel between all shots, both 3 and 5.

Just for the sake of acquiring data….next time you go to the range weigh your loaded rounds. Separate them into 3 groups
Light, middle weight, heavy. Shoot your group using each one. That might help identify anything needing attention.
FWIW
Sounds like a good idea. Thanks