Whats the worse rifle or gun you ever bought ? I hsve several tied

My worst was a custom MGA rifle. It was a light weight in 338 Winchester meant for Alaska. It was built on a CRF Winchester model 70 action that had been shaved here and there to lighten it. When it arrived there was a 3/4" thin piece of steel curled like a wood shaving still attached to the action and it had been blued! The fore end was shaped like an egg on its side, and it wouldn't feed from the magazine. The company owner Wes hostile about the whole thing. I sent it in and when it came back the egg shaped fore end was still no better but had been ground down even thinner. The stock surrounding the floor plate and magazine box looked like it was trimmed with a hatchet, and when I got to shooting it the best I could get was 1.5 MOA. The owner refused a refund or a rebuild so I left it with him for a year before he sold it to someone else. My credit card company refused to cancel the transaction as the owner continued to contest my claim, but when he sold it they immediately refunded me. Worst gun transaction I've ever had.

My worst was a custom MGA rifle. It was a light weight in 338 Winchester meant for Alaska. It was built on a CRF Winchester model 70 action that had been shaved here and there to lighten it. When it arrived there was a 3/4" thin piece of steel curled like a wood shaving still attached to the action and it had been blued! The fore end was shaped like an egg on its side, and it wouldn't feed from the magazine. The company owner Wes hostile about the whole thing. I sent it in and when it came back the egg shaped fore end was still no better but had been ground down even thinner. The stock surrounding the floor plate and magazine box looked like it was trimmed with a hatchet, and when I got to shooting it the best I could get was 1.5 MOA. The owner refused a refund or a rebuild so I left it with him for a year before he sold it to someone else. My credit card company refused to cancel the transaction as the owner continued to contest my claim, but when he sold it they immediately refunded me. Worst gun transaction I've ever had.
Who is MGA so we are careful in The future

Last edited:
I bought a new Remington 12GA semi auto and after shooting the first shot at some geese, the ejector broke. Yeah, first shot out of the new gun, it broke.

I have two Savage .17 rifles that required some work on them to make them satisfactory.

Weatherby Vanguard in 7mmRM I bought at WallyWorld in 2007
Could not find anything it would shoot, factory or handload.
Anything heavier than 140gr looked like scatter shot.
Best group with 140's was 2.75 MOA.
That was the Winchester Ballistic Silvertip's.
The Howa 1500 action is as smooth as glass.
I'm definitely going to build something on that.

Last edited:
I bought a new Remington 12GA semi auto and after shooting the first shot at some geese, the ejector broke. Yeah, first shot out of the new gun, it broke.

I have two Savage .17 rifles that required some work on them to make them satisfactory.
You didn't pattern or function check it before taking it out hunting?

I am recalling that my dad bought a Browning B2000 shotgun. You could shoot clays all day long with target loads and it would work perfectly. Loaded for geese with 3" mags and it would be a single shot. We took it out and shot clays with 3" shells and it functioned perfectly. You could even take the plug out and it would do 5 shots in a row. Back to the goose blind and it's a single shot. The gun was handed down to me and it sits in the safe and looks pretty. It has a fixed full choke so it has been retired from waterfowl hunting. We never did exorcise the demon that wouldn't let that gun function in a goose blind.

Reading this thread is why I'm not fond of buying used guns.
Had much rather buy older quality used guns, than some of the junk that is out there today. You just have to know what to look for and buy older stuff with a good rep. Pre64 Model 70s, older S&W revolvers and early series 70 1911's. (some later series 70's had some real issues) I call them "guns of lasting fame". I'd rather have a machined steel old Winchester model 69 or Remington 512or 513 .22LR than a new dead soft cast aluminum receiver 10/22. In the old days guns were meant to be handed down to future generations of family members. Today guns require very little hand fitting and there is something to be said for that, however most of the older guns were put together with a little more pride of craftsmanship than they are today. I think everyone of those old guns had just a little bit of the makers soul in them and they took great pride in their finished products. A rifle that has painstakingly been rust blued and hand checkered has a lot more feeling and depth to it than one that came out of a plastic mold. When I first went to work for S&W the "fitters" on the revolver line were an extremely talented bunch of guys. Only the more experienced guys worked on the "Cadillac" guns like the Model 27s and 29s. It was an honor to be chosen for that line and guys worked hard to gain the skills and talent to get there. All of the new "Gucci" guns with all the fancy CNC cuts on the slides and fancy paint jobs, can't hold a candle to any hand polished blued gun adorned with a some hand rubbed walnut.