What's the longest you stayed out ?

I stayed out several years ago for 34 days and lived out of my pack the entire time. I brought broken down MRE entrees, tuna pouches, single serving drink mixes, small seasoning kit, alcohol stoves large bottle of 70% alcohol, spork, etc.

I supplemented my packed in food stuffs with squirrel and rabbits taken in traps I built. I have never been so relaxed since.

Ulimately I took an Elk and a deer on the third to the last day...essentially took my rifle for a walk. A great trip it was.

Last edited:
2 months

didnt live off of a backpack because didnt have one. every now and then would sneak to house during night for few hours to worm up and back in woods before sunrise.

after that walked 4 days nonstop to free territory with almost no food.

back when i was 10.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tell us a little about this expierence you went through please sounds rough .

Me and a buddy used to pack into the Bob Marshal every year during December or first of January for a week of Lion hunting. Here's the kicker, we loaded the largest pack baskets we could buy with traps and snares and put Marten traps out on the way in and in the local camp area, packs started out 125lbs with four awesome lion hounds leading the way. We ate what ever came up, the best was a fresh lion killed deer and grouse, I had one hound that loved finding grouse. We packed a tarp for a leanto, bag, matches, axes, frying pan and seasonings. I wouldn't trade those near freezing to death experiences for anything.

Me and a buddy used to pack into the Bob Marshal every year during December or first of January for a week of Lion hunting. Here's the kicker, we loaded the largest pack baskets we could buy with traps and snares and put Marten traps out on the way in and in the local camp area, packs started out 125lbs with four awesome lion hounds leading the way. We ate what ever came up, the best was a fresh lion killed deer and grouse, I had one hound that loved finding grouse. We packed a tarp for a leanto, bag, matches, axes, frying pan and seasonings. I wouldn't trade those near freezing to death experiences for anything.

Having packed into the Bob the past two Novembers, I can only imagine what it's like later in the year...

Really enjoy reading this thread. Those trips you guys comment sound awesome to me, music to my ears, trips to be dreamed of for many nights. Congrats to all of you, and keep them stories coming.
My special respect for the solo backpack hunters that have made trips for many days out: that needs knowledge, skills, strength, and a very clear mind, determination and character. I admire that. That is the type of hunting I want to do in the future. Keep it up guys!!!

I am a wimp compared to you guys. But I do have a friend in Jackson Wyoming, every year she takes off in May and hikes back into the thorofare region and stays there usually til September, I believe she makes 2 trips back to Jackson for supplies. But the last time I talked to her she was going to try this year to live completely off the land. As far as protecting from grizzlies I know she carries a air horn and I think she carries bear spray. She kinda like a modern day female grizzly adams. I would like to try it, but I have this little back problem that prevents me from doing alot of things I use to do and have to take pain pills daily just to survive. The stories are great.
Chuck

4 days in Gunnison Colorado . after reading everyones post I realize we did just about everything the hard and cheep way. The first trip up into the MTNS was to carry all of the water and food along with some extra ammo to the camp site . Then we went back into town and rented a hotel and slept like babies :D . We got up and packed our back packs full again but this time we had to carry our rifles along as well . Our food consisted of ramen noodles patooie patt patt tooie . I HATE EM NOW !! Day after day we eat those noodles. I eventually ran out of water and decided to take and boil some from the nearest and only stream around but it made me sick :rolleyes: I think I got beaver fever :D I will never forget the trip and would love to do it all over again ! Didn't get a shot but spotted a very nice 6x6 in a meadow at the foot of the MTN , the day before the hunt started . The next day my dad shot at a nice but smaller bull at the far end of the same canyon while the cows were coming out were I had seen the big bull once his gun went off my Elk hit the dark timber. In the end I went home with a $500.00 peace of useless paper and an experience that will last a life time:):) I LOVE hunting....

BigBuck

Have backpacked and hunted about every ridge through there from sheep mtn through curecanti pass, porcupine, haystack, on through the no name hills to west elk peak. And for about 12 miles north and south of that line.Many years ago would spend 2-3 weeks at a time out of a backpack up there.

Well if you count the days packing in on horses and packing out, 11 days. Wish work hadnt gotten in the way of a good time, or Id still be there:D

40 days sefl sustained out of a canoe followed directly with 24 days out of a back pack with 2 food re rations in there. Its my job I work for a US company called NOLS. spend over 5 months a year in the field for a months each time at the minimum. the rest fo the year a spend hunting skiing mountaineering paragliding rock climbing at the river practicing shooting or in the reloading room
girlfriend is very understanding :D

5 days hiking along the shorline of Lake Superior in Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore Michigan and a 3 more days on Grand Island in Munising...communing with the bear and the blueberries...back was sore the first four days from bending over every 5 minutes to pick blueberries aong the cliffs...pretty laid back.

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.