What's the longest you stayed out ?

I did 11 days in the Frank Church in 2003. Used kelty pack and bag, homemade tent and foam pad, mountain house, oatmeal, elk jerky, purified my own water, had a great trip. Called in a proffessional elk guide twice on that trip...should seen his face, especially the second time.

I was not hunting but mountain climbing in Alaska in 1976. I spent 14 weeks packing in and out while climbing MT. Mckinley

The the second longest I have packed in also was in Alaska when some friends and I built a cabin at Lake Iliamna, Ak . I was there for 10 weeks.

Last year I elk hunted for 21 days.

Rustystud

I was not hunting but mountain climbing in Alaska in 1976. I spent 14 weeks packing in and out while climbing MT. Mckinley

The the second longest I have packed in also was in Alaska when some friends and I built a cabin at Lake Iliamna, Ak . I was there for 10 weeks.

Last year I elk hunted for 21 days.

Rustystud
AWSOME YOUR MY IDOL.Dreamed and preped for a DENALI climb also. A back injury took me out of the game. Now its just HUNTING and GUNS.

Never done any backpack hunting. Hiking though I have done several long trips.

21 days out, 2 11 day trips, and in and out between backcountry and basecamp once for 10 weeks straight.

All hikes in New Mexico and Colorado.

Three Weeks.

Flew into bush, North Island NZ.

Dumped a heap of food and salt etc at air strip. Lived under a fly sheet, no tent.
Did hikes back to airstrip when we run out of Tucker. Ate lots of spuds, Venison, rice, pasta etc. Shot a few trout when the deer were scarce for meat.
Best hunt ever.......... Shot a very good 9 point Sika deer Stag at 40 yards.

Have done about 15 of these trips. Both for myself and as a hunting guide.

Used either a .30-06 Remington classic vintage 1979 I think, loaded with 150gn Nosler soild base projectiles, or a Sako .222 loaded up with 63gn Sierra sp projectiles.

The longest shot was at 450 yards using the .222 and 63gn combination. There was three Sika and I got the lot. I dont think they knew where the bullets were comming from and they may not have herd the shots from that range with a bit of wind blowing.

I did 4 days in Northern Manitoba Moose Hunting. Rained the whole time. I was wet all the time. My gear was wet, cloths wet, pillow wet...wet. I went with a guy from the Yukon so he taught me how to make a fire with wet wood and some other survival skills, it was pretty awesome, but no moose. :(

As stated above on a Mt. climbing trip i stayed out 14 weeks. Clear or snow above tree line. Hunting I stayed 21 days. It was early during bow season and temperature varried from 65-32 degrees. It only rained/snowed once. had some drizzle a couple times.
Rustystud

Quite a number of five to eight day/night trips usually solo here in B.C. and I still do this at 62, but, I need better conditioning and it gets a LOT harder than 20-30 years ago. I have been in most parts of B.C. and WILL see the rest before I am much older.

I have also spent 90 straight days alone, without break a couple of times, in some of B.C.'s most remote and rugged country after heliflights in and lived in a tiny pre-fab plywood shack. I was once fogged in for 31 consecutive days in one of these on the B.C-Alaska border and this remains one of the finest experiences of my entire life.

I now am equipped for some 4-6 week solo jaunts into northern B.C. and intend to go this coming summer-fall, alone and with 2 mos. provisions and maybe a "sat phone" to keep my wife happy.

It is pretty hard to go for more than 5 days in really tough mountain country if hunting alone; I try to do a 4 day rotation which seems to work for me.

Three years.

Well, I went into town a few times. The longest singular stay was probably 5 months. Lived off the land mostly, with huge bags of rice and beans.

That sounds like a lot, but my teacher and mentor is still out there for the most part, and he's been out over 30 years. His name is Eustace Conway. We still work together a lot. He never comes off a trip without something in his game bag. If you ever get a chance to meet him, don't pass it up.

The two of us still teach long term wilderness living to anyone interested. Send me a note if you are ever around the appalachians.

thanks

2 months

didnt live off of a backpack because didnt have one. every now and then would sneak to house during night for few hours to worm up and back in woods before sunrise.

after that walked 4 days nonstop to free territory with almost no food.

back when i was 10.

I go out 8-10 days each year for either sheep, goat or moose. I would stay out for 20 days if I could(Job related).

Dana Designs Long Bed-6500 cu- Called a MR. NICE now.
ID Rennasaince 20F Sleeping Bag.
BD Bibler Eldorado
Thermarest Prolite 4
You get the idea. Its not bad.

Sincerely,
Thomas

15 days on kodiak island for an outfitter as a packer for the bear hunt. Man thats was some hard work, we figured over 80 miles of hiking in there with a 50lb pack on me the whole time. And....it was in the spring of 2007, that was there big winter they have about every ten years. 3ft of ice on shore when we arrived there. By the time we left, land was visible. Went back home in NV, I tell ya hunting around here got so much easier.

Yet some of you guys make look like a baby. LOL!:rolleyes:

10days is about where I call it a day... I usually do 3-4 day hunts into the wilderness solo so it is much more difficult..

Can't find anyone who has any stones to go it with..

Might be where I live now in California but most get weak kneed when I say we can walk in about 5-7miles and hunt all week.. P&&&ies...

One thing I notice, is civilian packs SUCK.. Erberlestock, etc.. I have tried all of them but they are like big duffel bags. Yes, they fit your back but you can tell noone ever had to find a Claymore in the dark or the blasting caps.. either..

my total rig is right at 26lbs now... that is pack, tent, bag, pad, water purifier, bottle, socks. stove, gas, knives, machete and survival gear... I use a framed pack similar to a large alice pack but in a little larger configuration. I can find everything in the dark, in seconds..

I have a few suggestions.. Rehearse it all.. pack it all up and try it over and over and over in the backyard.. I still do it even after all these years.. I even set up my tent and make a meal in the yard.. set up the whole **** thing just like I would out there.. doing it tomorrow just in case I have an issue..

I've had some crazy thing happen out there but with the preparation I do, I still don't get too worried..

Lastly, on survival tips .. ALWAYS PLAN ON THE WORST HAPPENING.. I do the following on each trip in:
Change clothes at trailhead and put clothes in plastic bag.
leave detailed note as to location and times for going in and when I was to return to trailhead. hide a key to my vehicle that my girl can direct law enforcement to.
Give girlfriend a note with numbers to call if my all clear signal is not recieve on the day of exfil
boot marks are made near vehicle using water so they will dry and leave a boot mark for trackers.
if law enforcement opens vehicle they read note (hopefully)
Put dogs on clothes in bag as that was my last clear scent and go to last know location.
I know it seems a bit much but I've been at this a while packing solo and I would do that if I had a buddy go with...

Got plenty more I do in preparation but I have to have a few secrets..

Learned all my tricks from years as a Green Beret and survival school Instructor..

De Opresso Liber
Get some!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.