What's the highest magnification you use while hunting from 500 to 1,000 yards?

I really like my NF 8-32x56 on my 6.5x47. Unlike most replies so far, I use 32 power lots. Use it on 32 for load development at 100-200 yds and when shooting 5,6 and 1000 yds. Could be my eyes but the more magnification the better for me. Unless there's mirage.

Mr OP, ifyou can afford to keep yur high powered scope it will greatly help you see to shoot at long range ,what's not a compromise ? I to own a 8x32x56 nf and I'm enjoying it very much ,regards

I sure like my 8-32 NSX and use 32 a lot . the only down side I can see is the 8-32 does not have as much elevation travel as the 5.5-22 NSX .the way I'm set up I can get to about 1450 yards .

Mr OP, ifyou can afford to keep yur high powered scope it will greatly help you see to shoot at long range ,what's not a compromise ? I to own a 8x32x56 nf and I'm enjoying it very much ,regards

You're suggesting the 30x of the Delta Stryker 4.5-30 isn't enough? Sadly, I don't think I can afford to keep AND buy the Stryker. =(

In my experience 20x is plenty of magnification for load development and shooting game out to 1k

You guys shooting on 32x, can you spot your impacts at that magnification? My rifles are big and heavy but come with even bigger recoil. No matter how I line up behind the rifle and strive for a good follow through, that rearward energy still exists. With the small field of view that accompanies high magnification, it makes it hard on anything but an extended range shot to see impact or even spot your own trace.
I guess I can see where some of you differ than I with chamberings such as Beeman's 6.5 Lapua.
Maybe if I were to go shoot another F-class match, but definitely not while hunting. I don't even use my spotting scope on max power.
Different strokes for different folks. Just glad there are so many options out there, something for everyone.

Great point Bravo4 if my nf was on my 300 w/mag at 32 I don't know if I could see my hits got a great brake 308 Nate built for her weight with nf 15.5 lbs what's yours weigh ? It's important to have a spotter/partner while hunting as well as target practice ,sorry bac to normal OP info thks

That Golden Eagle is a great target scope, I'd keep it for that use. I have one, it's on my F-Class Open rifle, and would not want it on a hunting rifle.

My LR hunting rifles wear a 5-25X Burris XTR (338 Edge), 4-20X Burris XTR (300WM), and 4-16X Nikon Tactical (243AI). Last elk killed was 733 yds with the Edge, I had the scope dialed up all the way and had a great view. Elk before that was the 300WM at 683 yards but it was wearing the 4-16 currently on the 243AI, and regardless 16X was plenty.

Excess magnification is much better on the range than in the field....

I'm cautious of using target scopes for hunting. Even the famed Nightforce Benchrest scopes at 32x and 42x on the top end are great for target shooting when set at a bench. Start varying power, adjusting parallax, and spinning turret and, IMO. they seem to be more difficult to manage precisely under field conditions. They are big, heavy, and cumbersome as well. The highest power I have used for hunting to 1200 yards is 20X. I'll keep my rifle at 10X while hunting and fine tune for the conditions of the shot. My long range hunters are generally 5x20 range, weigh under 30oz, and compact(30mmtube) in size. My favorite is my March 2.5x25x52, MP-3 reticle, SFP.

I have two simultaneous new builds that are moving along and the barrels finally arrived. One will be used strictly for casual target shooting (probably 6.5x47) at 500-1,000 yards, and one is for deer/elk hunting (either 7 Saum or 7 SS). The hunting rifle was the result of a spur of the moment decision a few weeks ago to buy a Tikka 300 WSM and rechamber it. I plan on elk hunting out to 700 or 800 yards and maybe at some point out to 1,000 yards with the Tikka. I also plan on shooting steel out to 2,000 yards with the 7mm (at 5-8K elevation, the ballistics are amazing w/ a 195 Berger.)

Anyways, I bought the Vortex Golden Eagle HD 15-60x52 in anticipation of the 6.5x47 and I would like to use the scope for both rifles. Had I known I would be building another hunting rifle and using the same scope, I would have chosen a different scope. So - what are your thoughts on using what's essentially a bench rest scope for long range hunting? It obviously would be a nightmare at 100 yards but what about in the 500-1,000 yard range?

Thanks
I have Viper PST's on two rifles. A 6-24 on my 300 Ultra and a 4-16 on my 7WSM. I don't like the 6-24 as well as the other. What you get in magnification you give up in low light and field of view. Wouldn't buy the 6-24 again in this scope for hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.