What's happening to this brass?

I was going to suggest the video myself. lol

Thanks for the video. Very interesting, very informative and very educational!

Educational……never even knew that this equipment existed!

Informative……maybe I didn't damage my brass with my earlier attempt at annealing.

My conclusion: maybe slightly more or less is not "super critical"…..at least not with a hunting rifle! memtb

Now, after watching the video and thinking about his result, this thought crosses my mind.

if he would use all of his reloading techniques with the exception of the annealing step. Fire a group of brass, then measure the bullet seating resistance. Repeat this through many reloading/firing sequences, each time measuring the bullet seating pressure required….and determine "if" there is a significant change.

If the change is negligible…..perhaps we're all over thinking the positives and everyone is wasting their time! For many to quit annealin would be much like me considering to start annealing!

That would be another video that I would have great interest in seeing! Jus Say'n! 😉 memtb

Last edited:
"if he would use all of his reloading techniques with the exception of the annealing step. Fire a group of brass, then measure the bullet seating resistance. Repeat this through many reloading/firing sequences, each time measuring the bullet seating pressure required….and determine "if" there is a significant change."
The variable is 'how much each person opens or resizes the neck'....

All new brass I get gets resized before loading....noticed way to much shavings from bullets being seated...and distortion of LRAB bullets.....
that has been 'new unfired Lapua' in 65284....

Now, after watching the video and thinking about his result, this thought crosses my mind.

if he would use all of his reloading techniques with the exception of the annealing step. Fire a group of brass, then measure the bullet seating resistance. Repeat this through many reloading/firing sequences, each time measuring the bullet seating pressure required….and determine "if" there is a significant change.

If the change is negligible…..perhaps we're all over thinking the positives and everyone is wasting their time! For many to quit annealin would be much like me considering to start annealing!

That would be another video that I would have great interest in seeing! Jus Say'n! 😉 memtb

I only started to anneal recently and have been using the EP Integrations unit which is basic but consistent. I really haven't noticed any improvement yet and I remain skeptical. You know, like the feel that you get when you put really expensive oil in your vehicle and wonder if the expense was worth it.

Last edited:
Everyone, on every site, that is annealing by every conceivable method, believes that they are getting great results. This clearly cannot be the case. I started using an EP Integrations annealer and things seem to go well, but I'm skeptical as to whether or not I'm actually getting properly annealed cases. They "look" properly annealed, but what does that prove?

For that matter, I'm curious if annealing is all that it is reported to be. Several national class benchrest shooters, who use the same brass repeatedly, have indicated that they never anneal. It's certainly something to think about.
BR shooters don't anneal because their chambers are much tighter than production rifles.
I used to run tight neck match chambers for F-class…ran into problems doing this with pressure excursions I didn't want or need. Still use chambers with custom necks, just not those that need turning to get the desired clearance after firing.
Annealing the neck is the ONLY way to keep neck interference and springback consistent. BE shooters do not concern themsaelves with this because they seat into the lands with very light neck tension.

Cheers.

Recent Posts