What happened to this brass?

Bullet diameter on the Legend is .357, not .355. Like I said- it's basically a rimless 357 Maximum. Here's a link to the Winchester site with dimensions on the Legend. https://winchester.com/350-legend/faq
Winchester specs .357"
Others spec .355" including the first people to chamber the round.
Nice mess eh ?
Here is a link that might help explain the mess.

By looking at my books, that is exactly what this is.. 300 W/M fired through a Weatherby chamber. this will be a pain in the butt to reform.
I tried to reform a few but it was hit and miss. Some did others caved in. Have yo figure a way to do it in steps. But at this point in my life not worth the hassle 😁

But chamber specs are .347 lands with a .355 groove per the saami specs

Yes it's confusing. With the throat recut, you can use .358 bullets. Trust me, Winchester biffed on launching this cartridge correctly.
That said, it's a pretty neat round. Puppy dog to shoot, more power than a 30/30 and will be very deadly when they figure out the right bullet.

"If you fire a 300 WM in a 300 Weatherby chamber the neck length of the case will end up approximately .390 thousandths long. So that looks like what happened to me." (JE Custom)

JE, I appreciate your candor.
I suspect the more calibers you shoot, the more likely it is to happen.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.