What happened to this brass?

No idea on the "06"......I haven't actually looked at it yet. My guess was excessive head space, but it seem a little too uniform? Most I have seen, thinned out and separated, never seen a ring like that. I'll try get my hands on it and see what the inside looks like.

Here is one of the new ones that is going to give everyone fits.
This is what happened to a customers rifle, chambered in .350 Legend. Customer reloaded with a .357 158gr JHP , instead of the .355 the manual calls for.(or at least Hodgdons manual)
Venting was obvious on the relief ports, brass was blown out at the extractor and literally looked like a belted mag case.
Bolt head had a chunk missing at the extractor and the other side is bent.
Best news was the rifle held and no digits were missing, nor did he look like a refugee from a tattoo parlor.
Customer was mad the manf. would not replace his rifle for free, but finally settled down and took them up on a replacement for far less than dealer cost.
Excuse my less than stellar photo's...I took them at work just before boxing it up & sending it back.

Attachments

• DSCN1479.JPG
    DSCN1479.JPG
    743.1 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCN1477.JPG
    DSCN1477.JPG
    928 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCN1478.JPG
    DSCN1478.JPG
    719.2 KB · Views: 100
I purchased what looked like a factory remington 700 ks 300 win mag at an auction last year and took it out and went to sight it in. Fired the 1st round, and it seemed normal, hit the target just a little low. When I ejected the case and took a look at it this is what I saw. The case is on the left (obviously) middle case is a 300 wby and case on the right is a 375 H&H. Still not sure what the chambering was, sold it as a unknown caliber.
20190109_130938.jpg

Last edited:
The Legend is basically a rimless 357 Max, so the bullet diameter shouldn't cause that failure. Since the Legend headspaces off the case mouth, he probably had a long case that didn't headspace properly and raised pressures past the failure point.

I purchased what looked like a factory remington 700 ks 300 win mag at an auction last year and took it out and went to sight it in. Fired the 1st round, and it seemed normal, hit the target just a little low. When I ejected the case and took a look at it this is what I saw. The case is on the left (obviously) middle case is a 300 wby and case on the right is a 375 H&H. Still not sure what the chambering was, sold it as a unknown caliber. View attachment 173819
Maybe 375 Weatherby

I purchased what looked like a factory remington 700 ks 300 win mag at an auction last year and took it out and went to sight it in. Fired the 1st round, and it seemed normal, hit the target just a little low. When I ejected the case and took a look at it this is what I saw. The case is on the left (obviously) middle case is a 300 wby and case on the right is a 375 H&H. Still not sure what the chambering was, sold it as a unknown caliber. View attachment 173819
30 stw

30 stw

I was at a club for meeting yesterday and found these 4 cases on bench. They are FC 300WM but what happened to the neck of this brass? I think they were shot in something other than a 300WM like a 300Wby? Thoughts?

Beats me, but they do look like they were fired in a 300 wby chamber. It wouldn't surprise me at all if someone who didn't Know any better fired some 300 wm cartridges in a 300 wby.

I do not think so ...

What happen to this brass.JPG

Picture on the right from L-R: .300 WM, .300 WBTY, and .30 LARA

The mystery brass does not seem to have WBTY double radius.

Last edited:
About 15 years ago I got a really good deal on Winchester 44 Mag 240 gr at Walmart. Bought 10 boxes of 50. A few months later I went to the range with a box of this ammo. Loaded up my Ruger Super Blackhawk and proceeded to shoot at a 25ft target. Accuracy was at about 18 inches. Went out to inspect the target and 5 of the 6 shots had tumbled. I opened up the cylinder and the brass would not eject and had to use a hammer and screwdriver to get 5 of them out. 5 cases were split from mouth to head and 1 was fine. Upon further inspection the headstamp on the split cases was 41 magnum. I've never owned nor handled a 41 Mag nor ever met anyone who has. Went home and checked all the boxes and no other 41 Mag was found.

I check my ammo a lot more carefully now.

Years ago I bought a box of Winchester supreme 270wsm ammo from dsg. Tried to chamber one and it wouldn't. The box of ammo had one 300wsm round in it. Three years ago I went into a local owned gun store and bought the exact same ammo, Winchester supreme 270wsm. I asked the fellow at the counter if I could inspect the ammo, he said yes. Opened up the box and three of the primers we're pressed in backwards.

Here is one of the new ones that is going to give everyone fits.
This is what happened to a customers rifle, chambered in .350 Legend. Customer reloaded with a .357 158gr JHP , instead of the .355 the manual calls for.(or at least Hodgdons manual)
Venting was obvious on the relief ports, brass was blown out at the extractor and literally looked like a belted mag case.
Bolt head had a chunk missing at the extractor and the other side is bent.
Best news was the rifle held and no digits were missing, nor did he look like a refugee from a tattoo parlor.
Customer was mad the manf. would not replace his rifle for free, but finally settled down and took them up on a replacement for far less than dealer cost.
Excuse my less than stellar photo's...I took them at work just before boxing it up & sending it back.

The 350 L will take 357 bullets. That looks like an over pressure load with too much/wrong powder and jammed in the lands.
I've shot close to 300 rounds of handloaded 350L ammo.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.