What's this ?

redds

What is this ring right above the belt is it over pressure signs it only shows up after being fired from my tikka. I've tried to resize them to fit my rem 700 but I can't get rid of this ring. The case will get stuck in my rem 700 and leave a scratch on the swelled ring

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 54
From my picture from left to right is new brass to fired brass to resized but got stuck in the chamber of my other 7mm you can see the scratch above the belt on this ring. I have tried to resize full length but can't get this swelled ring to go away

Has it always shot like that or did it just start and is it certain hand loads or any load wether it be factory or your handloads

I really have not paid much attention to it, from what I can see going though all my brass it always been there with factory rounds and reloads from min to max with all different powders, my Tikka chambers them fine and seems to shoot a 1in 5 shot group. the only reason I noticed it was because I tried running some rounds though a new rifle and they got stuck. I do have more new brass just for my new rifle though

man, I don't know for sure but I think either a bad chamber or head spacing I would have a smith look at it something's not right or talks to the factory and send it back to be checked before you get a separation in that area that's definitely over workin your brass and looks like it would shortened brass life I wouldn't trust it good thing is you have another rifle to use while its getting fixed

Someone more experienced than me can probably confirms this, however that is what I would call case head separation and it's not good! For starters throw all of that brass away!
Belted cases headspace off of the belt. This means that the rest of the chamber in front of the belt can be too long (such as is the case here). So, when you chamber a round it's held tight against the belt. However, there is excessive space in front of the shoulder. Now, when you fire the pressure pushes the entire case forward stretching out the brass and thinning it out at the "head".
Cut a piece of the brass in half and you will be able to see how much thinner it is where the "ring" is.
I am not a gunsmith but I would think that you could get a reamer to cut back the belt a little to take up the excess in the "front" of the chamber, however the shoulder would have to be set back the same distance to keep the headspace in spec.
I would start by calling Tikka and seeing what they can do. But definitely do not keep shooting and reloading that brass. 60,000psi next to your face is not something you want turned loose uncontrollably!

Just my .10 cents.

thanks I will call tikka first thing tomorrow and see what they say. maybe this explains why I cant seem to shoot better than a inch no matter what I try

they will make it right so don't worry about it they will test shoot it but I would throw some of that brass in with the rifle let us know what they say when you call and when they figure out what was wrong if you would please

Someone more experienced than me can probably confirms this, however that is what I would call case head separation and it's not good! For starters throw all of that brass away!
Belted cases headspace off of the belt. This means that the rest of the chamber in front of the belt can be too long (such as is the case here). So, when you chamber a round it's held tight against the belt. However, there is excessive space in front of the shoulder. Now, when you fire the pressure pushes the entire case forward stretching out the brass and thinning it out at the "head".
Cut a piece of the brass in half and you will be able to see how much thinner it is where the "ring" is.
I am not a gunsmith but I would think that you could get a reamer to cut back the belt a little to take up the excess in the "front" of the chamber, however the shoulder would have to be set back the same distance to keep the headspace in spec.
I would start by calling Tikka and seeing what they can do. But definitely do not keep shooting and reloading that brass. 60,000psi next to your face is not something you want turned loose uncontrollably!

Just my .10 cents.
Bingo! Looks like a case/head seperation to me, as well.

I would have to say it looks like a loose chamber or excessive head space.

Buy go gauge ( about $30.00) and test the chamber to see how much head space you have.

If it check out Ok , the chamber is to big allowing the case to expand at/just in front of the case web
leaving the ring mark you have,

If the chamber "IS" big you will have to set the shoulder back enough to clean up the chamber to the correct diameter.

If you continue to size the cases enough to remove the ring, you will eventually have a case head separation.

This is not to uncommon for factory CNC machined chambers.

J E CUSTOM

I did call beretta USA. They said it could be the head spacing but it wouldn't be under warranty . Because it's over 2 yrs old. So I don't know if I should send it to them or take It to a local gun smith. Anyone know a good one in the salt lake area ?

I know Brad Stair is over in Odgen, Utah, and I've heard good things about him. I can't vouch for his work, as I've never had him build anything for me. But, I have talked to him before and he seems like a pretty nice guy, and very knowledgeable.

I wouldn't accept their answer about the warranty if that rifle come from the factory that way then it is a manufacturer defect they should be no different than Remington and Thompson center the key would be to prove that factory is at fault....bullcrap they should at least look at it it could be a problem with many of there rifles

I wouldn't accept their answer about the warranty if that rifle come from the factory that way then it is a manufacturer defect they should be no different than Remington and Thompson center the key would be to prove that factory is at fault....bullcrap they should at least look at it it could be a problem with many of there rifles
In my dealings with warranty claims on products we sold made by foreign-owned companies when I worked at the outdoors store, several of them were quite smug and feel thier feces doesn't produce and odorous effect. Beretta was not one of them, but I also find that to be an unacceptable answer. I would persue it further. Ask to talk to a manager, owner, whatever you have to do. And if you get a different answer, and they say they'd be glad to look at it, ask them to look into the database to see who took your call, and tell them that they were rude and told you otherwise. I bet that will go over real well. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.