What's this a sign of?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Deputy819, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Deputy819

Deputy819 Well-Known Member

20181028_153847.jpg
    Was preparing to anneal some .338-06 brass today and after inspecting each case prior to annealing I noticed what looks like "pitting" on one piece of brass. Didn't see it on any other pieces. Ominous sign of forth-coming case failure?

2. Barrelnut

Barrelnut Well-Known Member

Have seen marks similar to this on brand new Remington brass. I thought it had something to do with the brass flow when the cartridge was formed. Have not had issues shooting brass like that.

Never seen used brass with a lot of oxiratiom causing piting like that though. But to me it looks more like a surface issue. Think it would be ok. I would shoot it anyway. But folks tend to scatter a bit from me at the range anyway....

7stwnut, xsn10s, just country and 4 others like this.
  3. Deputy819

Ha! That was great! This particular Winchester brass is on it's 5th firing. Figured it was time for an anneal. That piece made me a little nervous.

4. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

Always reside on the safe side. If your are concerned, then toss it.

MNbogboy, xsn10s, bob4 and 2 others like this.
  5. Mach 1

Mach 1 Well-Known Member

When I zoom in on it I can see very slight drag marks going towards the neck as if it occurred in the chamber and got the pull marks when it was ejected. Although I've never seem marks like that before. I'd load and fire it and it be curious to see what it looks like after it was fired again.

6. Deputy819

Well, I've got plenty of brass for that so putting one piece in "file 13" won't matter much. However, there's always the load it up and fire it from the safe side of a thick tree method :rolleyes:. Thanks for the replies guys!

7. Mach 1

Mach 1 Well-Known Member

At one time I was using cheap hornady brass and completely split the head spacing in a 338 lapua. Never even knew it till I tried to eject the casing. I even hit the steel target I was aiming at. I think firing that brass would be just fine. But better safe than sorry.

8. Lee Goodwin

Lee Goodwin Member

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  9. tbrice23

tbrice23 Well-Known Member

Looks like pitting or inconsistency in the sheet/cup of brass at the factory.
    Or like a relief indentations from rust in the chamber. ??maybe

10. xsn10s

xsn10s Well-Known Member

Hard to tell from the pictures but it almost looks like it hit the deck and was stepped on while on the ground. Yeah if it makes you nervous ditch it.

11. Tidus56

Tidus56 Well-Known Member

I kind of want to go shooting with Barrelnut now! I like when shooting gets exciting lol.
    My first thought would be a flaw in the chamber but if its only on that one piece that wouldn't make sense. I guess the big question is was it there the last time the brass was fired? If so a flaw in the brass, if not send it to Barrelnut. I will man the camera while he shoots it.

Deputy819, 7stwnut and Barrelnut like this.
  12. MagnumManiac

MagnumManiac Well-Known Member

I have several pieces of 416 Rigby brass here with similar marks.
    The cause was some cleaning patch lint that was left in the chamber leaving the indentations on the brass.......funny thing is that it moved and was squished flatter over 7 firings.
    By the seventh piece it was VERY flat!

It will take several firings to iron out.

Cheers.
    :)

MNbogboy and Lee Goodwin like this.
  13. Lee Goodwin

Lee Goodwin Member

Barrelnut and xsn10s like this.