What'll you be carrying for spring bear?

For our bear hunt over bait, my brother in law will be carrying a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 45-70 henry golden boy. I am going to load him with 156 Vulcans, to leave no chance even if we see a 500lb monster. Ha ha.

I too will take a 35 whelen and a marlin 45-70.
We will be employing the alternating rifle techniques. So we will alternate our rifles each day. Whatever we use, I think it'll be enough gun.

When I first read this reply, my initial thought was, "What is the reason for carrying two guns", and almost asked the question?? Then I read the last part about not leaving any room for taking chances! Then........I almost made a Creedmoor remark, but.....I didn't want to start any fights!!!:eek::eek:;) I like really like the 35 Whelen and....the 45-70 for bear hunting. I will be trying the 223gr Shock Hammers in the Whelen this coming season. Good luck with your hunt, and send some photos this way if you connect.

When I first read this reply, my initial thought was, "What is the reason for carrying two guns", and almost asked the question?? Then I read the last part about not leaving any room for taking chances! Then........I almost made a Creedmoor remark, but.....I didn't want to start any fights!!!:eek::eek:;) I like really like the 35 Whelen and....the 45-70 for bear hunting. I will be trying the 223gr Shock Hammers in the Whelen this coming season. Good luck with your hunt, and send some photos this way if you connect.
Ha. Too many gaps in my story. I was respoding to the 6.5 Creedmoor post previous to mine. My bother in law has a 6.5 creed, a 300wm and 45-70. For a 50 yard shot he doesn't want to use a 300wm. So I'm going to load him up some proper bear medicine 😛 for the 6.5.

Me… too many to list. Ha ha. But I just built/rechambered a 35 whelen just for black bears. But will take a 45-70 just because.

For my first bear, I used a 375 hh, as that's what the guide told me to bring. Little too much gun for this little guy.

Attachments

• 392B35DC-CCD8-4843-BF2A-733FA414CCD0.jpeg
    392B35DC-CCD8-4843-BF2A-733FA414CCD0.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 63
35 Whelen, 225gr Barnes TSX, 235lb bear, 50-60 yards, center mass entry, exit behind left shoulder, bear dropped in its tracks. I've posted this photo in a couple of threads, maybe even this one in a previous reply. I plan on trying the 223gr Shock Hammers in the Whelen this year. I was going to try them last year, however did not get them in enough time to get some range time in with them in the rifle. Gonna be interesting!! The Whelen is a tough one to beat; however.....the 45-70 does a really good job as well. The the through-and-through from the 45-70 does not need a lot of work to track if the bear does in fact go anywhere.
What barrel length are you running on your whelen and what kind of velocity are you getting with those 225gr Barnes bullets?

What barrel length are you running on your whelen and what kind of velocity are you getting with those 225gr Barnes bullets?
Ruger 77, 22 inch barrel, running 2600-2800 with the Barnes. I have two rifles that are JES rebores, one has a little bit more velocity than the other; cannot explain that one???? My rifle shoots the Superformance 200 grain bullets without any issues, my other Whelen (my son's) will blow primers with the Superformance ammo.

Lookin like the wife's 6.5 creedmoor since I won't have my latest one up and running by then

I'd use a 300wm or prc for blk bear.
But Louisiana doesn't have a bear season. They just allowed to reproduce and be a nuisance to the hunters and the residents of the state. I've heard rumor of a bear season. But it will more likely be on public land (where they are not a nuisance) and very limited take. The biologists in charge of the bears is head over hills in love with them.

Recent Posts