2015 Spring Bear what are you doing differently?

Yes I think it can work. Yes I'd prefer something else. Matching the bullet to the circumstances of your hunt, the shot placement you prefer, and the size of bear you encounter matters.

My rifle preferences may vary with the type of hunt, bait, hounds, or spot and stalk, at long range. What doesn't vary is a well constructed, heavy for caliber bullet, in whatever rifle I pick up..

Thats kind of what I thought. I mean you can always go with the bigger rifle and I am a fan ofnthe bigger rifle usually but I love the 308 and the AR platform as well. Compact, reasonably light, handles well and I have a ton of experience carrying and using one. I'm just comfortable with it and I like it. There really isn't much more to it than that. Would you say something like a 168 or 180 accubond or some sort of barnes bullet would be the propper chioice. I think we will be bait hunting or predator calling so I'm thinking around 200yds so energy shouldnt be a factor. I would be comfortable out to around 500yds as far as it being able to deliver plenty of energy on target. Does that sound about right to you?

What am I doing different, hopefully killing one!! No baiting, no dogs and bears few and far between DURING season after season the roads all open up. Going to NW MT this year and give that a go.

Would you say something like a 168 or 180 accubond or some sort of barnes bullet would be the propper chioice. I think we will be bait hunting or predator calling so I'm thinking around 200yds so energy shouldnt be a factor. I would be comfortable out to around 500yds as far as it being able to deliver plenty of energy on target. Does that sound about right to you?

I know zip about the care and feeding of AR's, Tikkamike has way more current experience with Barnes bullets, than I do, bigngreen has put a lot of time in with the .308 lately.

Bait for us was mostly in your face close, and while I haven't succeeded yet with a call its in that same type of country, in the alpine berries, or clear cuts ranges similar to what your speaking of. My preferences for bullets .308 in diameter start at 200 grains and go up. Mass matters.

I think you can be successful with what you're wanting to do, but I'd suggest one thing, wait until that upper arm doesn't cover the vitals. It can be a tough nut to crack, especially on a big bear. Think a bit like an archer.

What am I doing different, hopefully killing one!! No baiting, no dogs and bears few and far between DURING season after season the roads all open up. Going to NW MT this year and give that a go.

Ditto! For the past three years the 4-5 guys on my crew have had a bet, that each person in on the bet pays, $1 per inch nose to tail to the guy with the biggest bear! For three years not one bear!
Up until this year I only shot pure black bears, and none of the several in my dad's apple trees in the fall to add to the challenge.
I recently see several grizzlies and a few black bears that are toilet seat cover sized every year. With all of the road closures until after the bear season closes and trying to make a living seven days a week in the spring, I have limited time!
I have turned into a rainy day bear hunter.
With no bet this year, a personal any color bear over 5 foot, it is bear down this year!

Scan 1.jpeg

Just saying......

You may have bad bullets. Several years ago I was using the same bullet in my 300mag and it blew up on the shoulder of an elk at about 200yd (got the elk with subsequent shots). Sent bullets back to Hornady and they sent new bullets which seem to be much better.

Another Guided hunt over bait in Idaho. This time the first week of the season instead of the last week.

Using a pre-64 Model 70 w/(el paso) Weaver 4X scope. 180 Gr. Hornady IL BTSP bullets.

I finally got my bait out yesterday. the only thing I really changed is I am trying 2 new cameras. A moultry and a stealth cam. And instead of doing 2 different camera angles I mounted them on the same tree. the bottom one is in video mode the top in picture mode. I am hoping it was not a mistake and the flashes dont wash eachother out.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts