2015 Spring Bear what are you doing differently?

Tikkamike

Every year about this time the spring bear bug starts biting at me and I start a thread like this to get some conversation and stories rolling in. As many of you know I missed out on a giant last year due to rolling my 4wheeler on a search. Then the Dr. said no bear hunting right in front of my wife... I did end up sneaking out toward the end of the season but the big one had run out of feed and moved on before I got back up there. I ended up getting a decent bear in the fall season though.

My question is what do you guys have planned this year? trying anything new? new equipment, new site etc? Did you learn any lessons last season?

My lesson learned last year was dont let the bears run out of feed.. I know some people only feed when they hunt but for my style of hunting not letting the bears run out of feed is key. I find it much easier to pattern them if I feed them constantly although it is quite expensive.

The new equipmant I hope to try this year is a cellular camera if I can make one happen. Possibly switch to a steel barrel because I am tired of carving up a new barrel every season or 2

I learned the lesson about not running out of bait a few seasons ago and I won't let it happen again.

I had all but decided to let this spring go without bear hunting but then I got a phone call from a friend of mine that designed a new product and sent me one of the units to try out. I've had it for a couple weeks now and I played with it when I first got it but I've been waiting to post a review and talk about it until I get it set up.

It is called the NightGuard2000.

If you google it shows right up.

It is an automatic door that mounts to the inside of a barrel that you can set to open and close anytime you want. The default setting is that it will open 1/2 hour before sunrise and close 1/2 after sunset. I programmed my local time into it and hooked up the battery and set it out on my back porch to watch it work. It's been out there for 2 weeks now and has continued to function through the -15 degree weather we've had so it passed the first test.

This weekend I''l mount it in my barrel and kick it around a bit as a kind of torture test.

The main idea behind it is that with the door closed at night it will solve the problem of night bears and help your bait last longer.

My friend has been hunting with his prototypes for 2 or 3 years now with success.

Besides that, I will look around for a new bait site that will allow me watch the bait from 100 yards away or more so I don't have to sit in a treestand. I'll stick to the same area and probably the same ridgeline but I would like to sit on the ground and not have to worry so much about my own movement. The mosquitos are so bad in my current spot that it is nearly impossible to sit still.

I went on the only bear hunt I have ever been on about 5 years ago. 2009 went to Maine on an archery hunt. I didn't even see anything that resembled a bear. I am thinking seriously aboit trying again though. I went on the lrh group elk hunt last year and really enjoyed it. I have been talking with Non Typical Outfitters about booking for spring 2016. Can't quite make my mind up. They were an awesome bunch to hunt with and I think I probably will do it. They said if I go early season it is a little hit or miss but that is when they catch the big ones coming out of hibernation first. Mid season pretty steady, and late season they chase the bears that are eating elk calves. I assume that is a spot and stalk/ predator call kind of set up which I really like the idea of. Any suggestions or opinions from any of you regular bear guys out there. I'm thinking about running an AR 10 in 308 on this hunt. Would that be sufficient. I wouldn't be leaving myself under gunned would I?

This might be the first time in many years I hunt spring bear.

Washington has no spring season, but Idaho is right there. Make enough noise enough times, with the Foxpro, maybe get lucky.

I wonder if there are some things to help with that mosquito problem? One of my nieces works in vector control and they have all kinds of tricks from mosquito eating fish, propane powered mosquito attractors / capture systems, floating "rings" of mosquito killer which helps reduce hatching, etc.

Of course their "big gun" tool is releasing mosquitos that are radiation sterilized to reduce mating success, but they do a fairly reasonable job of control.

I kind of like the zappers and in theory you could solar power some, but I suppose those would be stolen.

BTW Mike, that is why I try to go alone to the doctor's office.

Hey Mike, I too am already getting the :BEAR FEVER:! About the only thing I am changing is trying to get a tougher bullet for my 300 Win Mag. Shot a bear last spring at 45 yards with the Hornady 190 BTSP. Hit the bear perfectly behind the shoulder & it dropped right there. Then last fall I killed the biggest typical mulie of my life with the same bullet. This was a way longer shot. The buck was bedded on a mountainside & we ranged him at 587 yards. The bullet broke the shoulder bone going in & cut the top of the heart off. Where the bullet should have exited, I found 3 pieces. Both kills were very quick & lethal but I want a bullet to hold together better. I think Hornady quit making them anyway. What would your advice be for a heavy 30 caliber bullets for short and long shots?
Thanks, Kirk

Hey Mike, I too am already getting the :BEAR FEVER:! About the only thing I am changing is trying to get a tougher bullet for my 300 Win Mag. Shot a bear last spring at 45 yards with the Hornady 190 BTSP. Hit the bear perfectly behind the shoulder & it dropped right there. Then last fall I killed the biggest typical mulie of my life with the same bullet. This was a way longer shot. The buck was bedded on a mountainside & we ranged him at 587 yards. The bullet broke the shoulder bone going in & cut the top of the heart off. Where the bullet should have exited, I found 3 pieces. Both kills were very quick & lethal but I want a bullet to hold together better. I think Hornady quit making them anyway. What would your advice be for a heavy 30 caliber bullets for short and long shots?
Thanks, Kirk

I have had excellent luck with barnes TSX and ttsx. They always pass through. And bust bones on the way through. My second choice is the accubond. I have had pretty good luck with those too.

For Mosquitos are you guys using bug tamer suits, Thermacells, and 100 % deet? I know you have some serious Mosquitos up north, I experienced plenty of them in Boundary Waters, but I've had good luck hunting FL swamps with that combo.

100 % deet will burn my skin when I sweat so I put it all over my hat and gloves to keep the droning away from my face, bug mesh helps with the body bites, and Thermacells are the real deal. I wondered how much it actually did until it didn't light one morning and I was covered in them 10 minutes after I sat down, lit it and they cleared up completely. Same results when the butane runs out, about 10 minutes later they swarm you again.

This will be my first year bear hunting, we are doing a spot/stalk hunt in NW MT the last week of May. Excited to get out there.

Hey guys,
Look I hate to be "that" guy but I have never shot a bear so I'm gonna ask the question. I have a an AR in 308 that I would like to take on my bear hunt next year. It's a custom rig and deadly accurate so think more like bolt gun accuracy not ar15 spray and pray. Is 308 plenty of gun. I got other stuff I can use. I have a lapua and a short mag. I just like that gun and like hunting with it So wwould it be sufficient. I hear a lot about 308, 30/30, 7/08, 260 for bear so I thought it would be fine just thought i would get some opinions from some people that have actually killed bear. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.