What Would You Do?

Autorotate19

I recently picked up a brand new unfired custom built rifle put together by Hart barrels. Its on a trued, squared, etc.... teflon coated Remington action, 26" fluted 10 twist #7 contour barrel, bedded Mcmillan A2 stock, Remington 40x trigger, Ken Farrell 20 moa base, Leupold tactical rings, chambered in 30-06. The rifle is on its way as I write this. All in all it sounds like a great rifle but Im not sure what Im going to use it for. I already have an all out custom 6.5x284 that shoots great that I primarily use for deer size game. I was maybe looking at using this rifle as a long range elk gun but 30-06 isn't exactly ideal for this. I discussed it with my smith and he said it would be no problem reaming the chamber out to 300 win mag or something similar. So Ill get to my point of this thread, what would you do? Here are some of the possible options I have been thinking about. Any other suggestions not listed below would be great also. :D

Option A: Ream it out to 300 win mag, use it as a 1,000 yard elk gun and shoot targets out to as far as I can.

Option B: Sell the barrel and get a 7mm tube and build something like a 280ai or 284 win.

Option C: Sell 30 cal barrel and get a 7mm tube in 8.5 twist and chamber it for the 195 gr berger. Not sure what cartridge yet.

Option D: Sell 30 cal........ and get a 33 cal tube and build an edge or rum.

Option E: Leave it alone and shoot it.

Any input would be appreciated, as you can already tell I really have no clue what I want to do. It was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up.

Thanks gun)

I would probably go with A.

Although C appeals to me we need to see that bullet and test it before I would take it after elk. That said I hope to be putting one together soon, it will be a designated wolf rifle and will be used on elk after testing within its limits.

We take many elk with the 300 win each year. They are a great elk rifle out to 1000 with a 210, or 230 Berger and all will be great with a 1 in 10 twist. The brass selection is second to none and I think a new offering soon will push it over the top for "the best brass" area.

The 300 win is easy to load for, loves H-1000 with heavy true long range bullets, has a track record for years of accuracy and it will do everything you posted.

Now, if you feel that the majority of your elk shots will be at 1000 or if any will go beyond, go 338 EDGE. But if you think they will be 600 to 1000 go 300 win.

Jeff

Austin, Good post, I'm kind of in the same boat. I have a great shooting 300wm, and almost the exact 30:06 both shoot Consistent 1/2". I also have a 300RUM & after 150 rds the best it will shoot is 3/4-1". Elk are like guns you always want something bigger. I'd feel comfortable at 1000 with the 300WM, an have killed elk out to 800yrs so far. The 06 is capably on the accuracy end but lacks energy at 1000 IMO. I was hoping to stretch the 300RUM out to 14-1500yds but not happy with the accuracy.

I'd also be interested in what some here would recommend out to 1500yds?
I looked at the 338 Lapua but it's expensive for everything, and I didn't feel it had that much over the 300RUM.

The 300WM would serve you well out to 1000, not that expensive to shoot, an reasonable Barrel life. If you want to limit yourself to 800yds you've got the gun as I'm sure the accuracy is there. I shoot the 208 Amaxs in mine with great results, great Barrel life, can load it down for just shooting and very economical to shoot.

Best of luck, Hope others Chime in here, Wayne

CO,
What does barrel life run on a 338 Edge, and do you think it's that much better than the 300RUM with a 230gr Berger Hybrid?

Thanks, Wayne

I would go A, because it seems like a waste to buy a rifle like that, and already tear it all apart. Shoot it have some fun,where it out , then make it into the 7/300 or 338 something that you may like .

You should go with "F"- none of the above. Take it and have it reamed to a 30-06AI and shoot the 185-215 Berger. Make a heck of a 1000yd deer rifle or an 800yd elk gun! Not to mention you can get Lapua brass. That's a bonus in itself!!! If you can knock elk down to 925yds (it was on a long range hunting show... don't shoot the messenger) with a 6.5-284, a 215grn bullet at 2700-2750fps will surely knock an elk over at 1000yds. It would have to be a sure shot though (I know, you need and uber magnum to do that in the only prescribed bullet diameter of .338 or bigger) and you would want to be confident in your abilities that far. Just a thought.

Anything but a .280AI or 30-06AI is going to require action/magazine work of some kind and a magnum would require the bolt face being modified too. A 30-06AI will probably only give up 100fps to a .300wm but require custom dies and fireforming. I would probably go with option A just because the recoil difference between a .300wm shooting 210's, 215's, or 230's and a .338RUM/Edge/Lapua shooting 300's is pretty significant. If your recoil sensitive at all the .338's can be a handful unless the gun is pretty heavy. If recoil doesn't bother you and you can pack a heavy gun then the .338's would be the best elk medicine.

Right now the gun has a single shot follower so it wouldn't be to difficult to switch to 300 win, also my smith said he wouldn't have to set the barrel back and that he could just ream it. Will 230 gr Bergers stabilize in a 10?

Thanks for all the feedback

Yes they will. If it's a single shot you could also do something like I shoot, a .30-8mm Rem. Mag. I get about 150fps over a .300wm with 210's. I use 8mm Rem. Mag dies to full length size and a Hornady neck sizing die to neck size when I have to. Mine is set up with a tighter neck so I get several loadings without having to size the cases at all. Just knock the primers out, put new ones in, fill with powder, and seat the bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.