What type of bullet did you use on your last elk?

What type of bullet did you use on your last elk harvest?

• Monolithic Solid Copper - Barnes, Hammer, GMX, E-Tip etc.

Votes: 50 17.5%
  • A-Frame / Partition - or similar construction.

Votes: 20 7.0%
  • Premium Bonded Lead Core - Interbond, Accubond, Scirocco, Woodleigh etc.

Votes: 61 21.3%
  • Low Cost Traditional Copper Jacket Lead Core - Core-lokt, Interlock etc.

Votes: 13 4.5%
  • Ballistic type hollow point with polymer tip, Hornady SST, ballistic tip etc. non-bonded

Votes: 15 5.2%
  • Ultra Low Drag - ELDX, Nosler RDF, etc. anything designed primarily for drag coefficient

Votes: 74 25.9%
  • Target /Match grade - Any bullet primarily designed for match grade accuracy above all

Votes: 47 16.4%
  • Round nose, Flat nose, dangerous game etc. you like to hit them with bricks...

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Not sure, didn't matter because they all kill pretty much the same.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Different bullet that doesn't fit a category. Excluding, arrows, trucks, spears ;)

Votes: 5 1.7%

• Total voters
175 eld-x
impact velocity about 3000fps
It was a heavy bull, quartered to me, hit the heavy shoulder bone just above the knee dead center. It destroyed the heart and lungs and continued into the guts. No exit. Bull took a few steps and went down.
This was the shot I was a little worried about with this bullet, there's not a whole lot more punishing situation you can find for a bullet on north American game. It did very well.
Knee is in back last I checked.

250gr. Swift A-frame 2,900fps, 45yds quartering away. Hit the furthest back rib and bullet was recovered in his throat. Fully severed heart, perfect mushroom, Instant death. Out of 16 Elk, only three have been over 100yds.

My 5x5 dropped like a stone with 300wm, 210gr Berger VLD. 400yds. Split left front shoulder blade. Remains of bullet found inside hide of right shoulder. Could not ask for more!

I've been using the Nosler Accubond since they were introduced and had great success with them. Shooing 300 WSM handloads around 2900 fps pushing the 165g pill. Wife has 130g from her 270 Win moving around the same speed. Most shots are from 75 yards to 322 yards for the longest with that round. All have been 1-2 shot kills with most passing through the bull. *Of note, our area is spike-only hunting so not the biggest animals we're able to harvest, though I am confident they would work as well on a big bull/cow as well.

Oct 2018. Large bodied 5 point, see picture below, hit top of lungs just behind front shoulder. He made it about 40 yards. 300 RUM, 210 gr Berger hunting, 3000 FPS, retumbo, didn't recover the bullet aprox 300 yd shot. Wound channel about 2" out the far side. Very pleased with bullet performance. This is a very accurate load. Have some groups around 3", one 2.67" at 600.

Attachments

• 7433B379-A5AF-424F-A634-8D7D701A27AB.jpeg
    7433B379-A5AF-424F-A634-8D7D701A27AB.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 107
Pick the bullet that most correlates to a choice.

Also if you have a chance, tell us the muzzle velocity, and how did it do? Also note the impact velocity and range if you can.

Thanks for providing this info. As a long time elk hunter i'm trying to look outside my box and see what others are doing.
Last elk: 308 win. 150 gr nosler ballistic tip, range 280 to 340 yds. Muzzle velocity unknown. Perfect example of why you shoot before you hunt, as rifle was still being tested with this load.
Elk before this: 7mm rem mag, 150 gr Sierra Game King(spitzer boat tail lead point) reloader 22 powder 63 grains, muzzle velocity approx 2770. Went back to this after only one season of 308 hunting. Personal opinion 7rem mag hits harder and faster.

Really, another one. These are fun.
I picked the the "premium bonded lead core" but have shot many elk with SST's.
I know this is a long range forum but most of our elk are harvested under 500 yards.
I will say that I'm moving to the Hammer Hunters for all our cartridges next year.

I have shot the 165 SST's in .308 Win. and several elk with it, load was 46.1 gr. Varget , velocity was a smig over 2800 FPS. Had to shoot some more than once. But it worked well for me. Ranges for this bullet in the .308 Win. work very well at most contentious ranges.
Not to use the E word. Lol
Have shot 12 elk with Hornady sst in my 264 WM very pleased with there performance. Reason went to Berger is that they were a little bit more accurate in myRUM.

215 Berger at 625 yds. Hit a bit low and completely opened up his brisket. Wound opened up into the chest cavity and bruised the lungs. Required a finishing shot when I got up to him. Good performance I think considering the bullet shattered the heavy leg bone also. Found bullet on the offside hide.

180 Berger vld hunting, 7mm RM, 2920 fps, young elk, 300 pounds or so. I was shooting on a down angle, animal quartering to me. Took a shot path thru left neck shoulder junction and an exit out the opposite (right side) lung. Result was DRT. However:
Bullet fragged on shoulder/neck strike, turned 30 degrees and went thru near side (left) lung, liver and gut in teeny tiny pieces. Think #8 birdshot. Bullet completely destroyed. And that folks is why I switched to 175 Nosler Accubond LR so I can drive one a little straighter like I intended and exit somewhere near I intended.
Bergers will kill them, but frag on bone strikes to the point you might have unintended gut soup to clean out. I havent hit another animal with Accubond yet as I haven't drawn a tag since that one.

Last year was a Barnes Spit Fire 50 cal 250 grain out of a muzzleloader about 70 yards and passed through. The elk may of taken 2 steps before lights out.
Prior was a 257 Weatherby Mag 85 grain using IMR 4350 at 140 yards and the animal dropped within 10 yards as I recall. I do not remember if the bullet passed or lodged in the animal.

My last elk was a cow shot at 167 Yds with Berger OTM (opened end a little with drill bit) in a 338 Edge at 2825 fps with estimated force of 4720 ft pds. Elk flipped backwards and hit the ground - never to move again. Pretty much liquafied internal organs.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.