starting out what type of rifle to use

Another nice item about the Savage action is;

You can change the bolt face for different size cartridges with the addition of the bolt face ends that are furnished from the factory as a special order item. Each one comes with the extractor in too.

The long action can go from the 223 right on up to the standard mags by changing the end of the bolt. A simple removal of a pin does it. If I remember correctly, the cost per each was $30.00 or $40.00. I have two for my 223 that I can change to a 308 or standard Mag and twist on the barrel that is chambered to that cartridge case diminsion.

Out of the box, I believe the Savage is hard to beat for accuracy and cost.

Click on the web page Savage Bolt heads below.

Darryl Cassel

web page Savage Bolt heads

[ 04-12-2002: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

I'd have to go with a good used Sendero. For a scope, seriously consider a Weaver Grand Slam or V-series. My main concern with a scope is how well it tracks. Clarity is a distant second. When I put 29 inches on the scope, I want to know that it it moved exactly the right amount. My Leupolds all do a good job of this but they are costly. My last scope purchase was a Weaver Grand Slam 6-20. I have done extensive testing and believe this scope to be one of the best buys on the market. I zeroed it at 100 yards and then shot a 3 shot group. Then turned the scope up 3 inches and shot again. I did this in 3 inch increments all the way up to 30 inches high at 100 yards. Then I did the same thing in reverse, turning the scope back down to zero. It was actually more repeatable than my Leupold 6-18 and just as good as my 8-25 long range model. Every group was right on the money going up and back down. As for clarity, it is actually a bit more clear than the Leupolds. The cost of this scope is $309 from BearBasin.com. Truly a bargain for this price. You could buy a good used rifle and this scope and be under $1000 easily. Good luck

where would you go about getting a used sendero. I am pretty sure that I will start off with a .308 Win and move up. For that reason I was thinking about savage.

Thanks for all the help.

Jordan

Most any decent gun shop should have a varmint style rifle capable of good accuracy.
Out here in Pa., the gunshops have plenty of Sendero's and Savages for sale. Just find a rifle and load that will shoot half minute of angle or better at the ranges you intend to shoot at. More importantly I believe, is practice with that rifle and know the EXACT drop at various yardages and have a scope that will track consistantly. Once you get to this point, you'll be amazed at what can happen.

OK, Wyojeeper and Darryl, you guys make good points, but for a custom barreled .308 or 300 win mag do you actually choose a Savage over a Rem 700?

I know the barrel drops right on the Savage. We are talking about expensive high quality barrels for long range shooting, right? Would you spend say $400 for a finished barrel and not have the action squared, lugs lapped, etc.? I just wouldn't spend this much on a Savage when I think the Remington is higher quality. I look at the Savage as something I buy and then replace once it's shot out. I may replace the barrel with a decent cheapie, but I'm not going to spend a lot of bucks on it.

Jordon,
Check gunbroker.com, auctionarms.com, and gunsamerica.com if you can't find anything local. If you go used try to find something that's been cleaned properly (with a guide) and hasn't been shot much. Good luck.

LRH

[ 04-12-2002: Message edited by: longrangehunter ]

For the original poster, I was just trying to keep the price down a bit and with a quality rifle.

The Savage is one that many people overlook plus it is one of the most accurate out of the boxthat is presntly made.

I agree there are more Remingtons used in matches but, the Savage has won it's share of matches also. The PA woodchuck match 100, 300 and 500 yards has the highest score ever shot in the 223 class using a Savage out of the box.
I have a 223 Savage varmint and also a custom 7MM mag with a 30" Hart barrel and the single shot Savage action. It has worked flawlessly for many years.
I still feel that the Savage will shoot just as well (maybe better) as a Remington out of the box. This is especially true of the 300 Win Mag.
A fellow just called me that shoots at Camp Perry. He placed 12th last year out of hundreds of shooters and his rifle was a custom 6.5/284 on a Savage action.

I also like the Remington actions and use them on some of my match guns. The difference is, the new Remington actions leave a lot to be desired. Some are VERY loose fitting (Bolts) and most people (myself included) go after the older 700 actions and the 721 and 722 actions. They were a much better product then what is available today.

This is another reason I feel that the Savage is producing a better product for the money right out of the box.
Most people who own the Savage can't believe the accuracy they are getting.

If I had my choice of a NEW Remington or a NEW Savage , I would pick the Savage for an out of the box rifle.
If I had my choice of the Older Remington 700 or 721 Action or a Savage action to build a rifle on, I would choose the Older Remingtons.

I took a new Remington action to one of the Williamsport gunsmiths to have a barrel put on and he wouldn't do it. His comments were, most of these new Remington actions are not worth putting a custom barrel on them, among other things.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Darryl Cassel

Darryl, thanks for all the info. What was the last year for the good Remington 700 actions? I have seen a marked decrease in quality myself the last few years and I should have mentioned that.

Hello LRH

I don't have the serial numbers but, a few years after they went to the small round safety lever, they started going down hill.

If you can find the ones with the large flat safety lever, those were the good ones. Seems any of the 721 or 722 actions were very good and desireable now.

The problem with any factory action is, once you get them trued correctly, the cost of that procedure plus the action cost to begin with almost warrants buying a custom action if your real serious about target shooting.

For hunting accuracy, this would not be as critical. You would not need it trued like the target shooter would do. Just lap the lugs and your ready. The 721 and 722 or the early 700 actions normally don't need to much work.

Darryl Cassel

In speaking of the Savage, I noticed in the 2002 flyer their 12VSS Varmiter comes in .308, 11 1/4 lbs with a "Sharp Shooter" trigger. Anyone had any experience with those triggers?

I am new LRH but I wanted to weigh in. I have a Savage 112FVSS (in 30-06) and am very pleased with its "out of the box" accuracy. Great gun for the money IMHO.

rhoman Just what is your out of the box accuracy? I already have a 30-06 Vangaurd and the accuracy is acceptable for close range hunting about 3" groups at 100 yards. But that is my brush gun so it real doesn't get shot past 50 yards. I like the caliber every deer has been an instant kill.

Thanks for sharing

jordan

I am still in the "experimentation" stage of finding the best load and bullet combo for my handloads. Going from memory, I have had a couple of three shot groups slightly over half an inch @ 100 yards using IMR 4350. So far only in 150 gr bullets and I believe the barrel is 1 in 9 twist which, if I understand correctly, should do better with the heavier bullets. I think the gun will consistently shoot under an inch with 57.X gr of IMR4350 and 150 gr Nosler BT and showing promise of doing much better once I get the load "perfected". Hope that helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.