What is your $ bullet limit?

RockyMtnUT

All this bullet talk and prices of reloading in general has me thinking.🤔
1. What is your max limit for purchasing a box of 100qty bullets for hunting?
2. Is there a too much ?

I know on powder, some guys are digging in their heels at $40-50 thresholds. Where others don't necessarily care as long as they have it. ($50-90)?

Last edited:
Hammers are about $1 bullet depending. I think that is fair for a premium hunting bullet that gets the attention to detail and ease of load development.

I am seeing Bergers for close to the same price...not so much. I guess I will just be dry firing for awhile. Plenty to hunt with for many generations, but the plinking is getting expensive.

Not to mention some of the dudes trying to fleece folks on this and other sites for them.

For a hunting bullet I will pay whatever I need to to give me the edge and performance I want in the realm of reasonable. I'm not shooting a boatload of my hunting rounds. Maybe 2-3 max would be my threshold. I currently shoot berger and hammer so I'm not paying those prices but I would if I had to.

Powder 50 a lb is it.... I move along anything over that.

Screenshot_20221007-104836_DuckDuckGo.jpg

For a hunting bullet I will pay whatever I need to to give me the edge and performance I want in the realm of reasonable. I'm not shooting a boatload of my hunting rounds. Maybe 2-3 max would be my threshold.....

Exactly what I was going to say. If it's purely for hunting, I really don't care about the cost. a 100rnd box will last quite a while in that scenario.

For target/plinking, I am a bit of a cheapskate....

t

All this bullet talk and prices of reloading in general has me thinking.🤔
1. What is your max limit for purchasing a box of 100qty bullets for hunting?
Thus far, the most I have paid for a bullet is $1-1.25 each. I am willing to pay up to $2 a bullet to try.
2. Is there a too much ?
Same as #1, but there are bullets I will never pay for or buy even to try at this time.

Lack of materials, labor, import fees, blah, blah...

Quality FGMM 308 ammo in early 2020 could be had for about $22 a box. Now I have seen it for $38 at my honey hole and from some place almost $50. This is like 2005-2008, when home values doubled in a year. Those willing to pay only hurt the long term I guess.

I'm on my way to Bass Pro to pick up a sling shot.... 🤣

Cup & core bullets in my case .243 diameter I aim for less than 50 dollars per 100. Solid copper alloy bullets I am expecting to easily keep each bullet well under a hundred bucks per 100.

The frustrating part for me is the higher price the bullet, the less data we seem to have available to help wring out the potential of the premium bullets.