What is your $ bullet limit?

For hunting bullets, I'll pay whatever I have to to get the bullet I want. I needed some XTPs this year, I which I wound up spending about $1 each on. After tax and shipping some of the copper/brass solids I use are edging in on $2 each. In the grand scheme of things the cost of the most expensive bullets I use is insignificant.

I load cheaper bullets to practice with throughout the year to keep my cost down. When I get close to the season I switch over to the loads I'll be using that year.

Sam is a nice guy. His bullets are nice but pricey, but heck, I might still give it a try, though.
Yeah, I meant zero disrespect for his bullets or his company. They were just the first that came to mind for a bullet over $2 is all lol.

And it seems like I'm typically more willing to spend the money to try it and find out than I am to continue using it on a long term, if that makes any sense. Like, spend the money to see what I'm getting and then I'll know if I ever actually want to use it regularly.

When you get home from the club and sit down to measure a .94" group shot at 417yds from your hunting rifle - well, I guess you could say the bullets were "PRICELESS".
(SD on that group was 3.5 and the "NC" means no crimp.)

124H - RE26.jpg

The funny thing is the bullets that we want at times just ain't out there. The 200AB is basic standard for 300WM but haven't seen them in long while. Shoot great, affordable and good terminal. Even these are bringing stupid hoard prices which I refuse to pay. At one time 50AB's could gotten at $0.80/bullet easily. Makes it easier to shoot more often. Now?

Just recently 6MM 87Vmax became more available and shoot great in my .243. Avg price around $28/100 so easy on wallet to shoot and yote slayer!

CNC bullets are available but costly in comparison but perform. Dilemma to manage cost, performance and frequency of shooting.

The biggest speed bump for bullet cost is we need to forget the past costs realizing those days are done. The huge influx of new shooters, world events and plain old hoarding is driving costs new levels that will not likely drop back. I am trying to come to grips just on powder, no primers and scarce bullet inventories. Prices will soar with demand greater than supply.

For me shooting is a hobby, something I enjoy, that helps me relax and unwind, and I enjoy rifle hunting, and building skills makes hunting more enjoyable . If it were to become not fun I'd stop. So I don't watch my pennies too much, similar to going on vacation. I allow myself more flexibility because it scratches an itch, and that applies to the equipment for hunting and shooting. It's my main financial vice. That said, I shoot Bergers and they are below the threshold of where I start to think about price.

The funny thing is the bullets that we want at times just ain't out there. The 200AB is basic standard for 300WM but haven't seen them in long while. Shoot great, affordable and good terminal. Even these are bringing stupid hoard prices which I refuse to pay. At one time 50AB's could gotten at $0.80/bullet easily. Makes it easier to shoot more often. Now?

Just recently 6MM 87Vmax became more available and shoot great in my .243. Avg price around $28/100 so easy on wallet to shoot and yote slayer!

CNC bullets are available but costly in comparison but perform. Dilemma to manage cost, performance and frequency of shooting.

The biggest speed bump for bullet cost is we need to forget the past costs realizing those days are done. The huge influx of new shooters, world events and plain old hoarding is driving costs new levels that will not likely drop back. I am trying to come to grips just on powder, no primers and scarce bullet inventories. Prices will soar with demand greater than supply.
Yes hoarding is problem. At the same time getting bent over the table is a problem too. I like to think of the days of old. When I was reloading 300 H & H Mag for $0.07 each and over the counter were about $0.25 each.

All this bullet talk and prices of reloading in general has me thinking.🤔
1. What is your max limit for purchasing a box of 100qty bullets for hunting?
2. Is there a too much ?

I know on powder, some guys are digging in their heels at $40-50 thresholds. Where others don't necessarily care as long as they have it. ($50-90)?
Mine used to be a quarter, then fifty cents, then a dollar... . With the current inflation rate I'll probably have to raise it to 2.00, maybe 3.00 by the end of the year.

Yes hoarding is problem. At the same time getting bent over the table is a problem too. I like to think of the days of old. When I was reloading 300 H & H Mag for $0.07 each and over the counter were about $0.25 each.
And cigs were 15 cents and gas a quarter a gallon, bread 10 cents a loaf.........and and and and

All this bullet talk and prices of reloading in general has me thinking.🤔
1. What is your max limit for purchasing a box of 100qty bullets for hunting?
2. Is there a too much ?

I know on powder, some guys are digging in their heels at $40-50 thresholds. Where others don't necessarily care as long as they have it. ($50-90)?
Hammers are $1/each and I've shot them for the past few years. I'm actually planning to try out the Apex Afterburners in my next build and those are even more expensive.
I use the Hammers mostly for hunting and typically shoot other bullets I'm able to find on the "cheap" for plinking fun. My leverguns get most of the love and I've just bought the bulk box of cast bullets for them in the past. Those bulk purchases are ~$.17/round but I'm actually planning to start casting my own to save even more money.

Last edited: