What to get

Kyledet26

I'm looking to get my dad a new gun for Christmas and want to spend 2k or maybe a little over that on something. My dads got an old mark v in 300 wby that he's shot everything from Alaskan moose to wolves with and he's taken me and my sister on tons of hunts and been successful almost every time and want to get him something nice that'll last him the rest of his life. I've been looking at Seekins Precision HAVAK Pro Hunter or maybe a fierce rogue but not sure exactly what to get. And also not sure what caliber to get it in. I'd like to get it in something that shoots accurate and long range and can take down any big game. But where's he's getting older I don't want to get him something too big that kicks hard. I've been thinking of maybe a 7mm prc. What do you guys think.

Welcome from North-Central Wyoming!

You've arrived at a place with many having a wealth of information/knowledge/skills and opinions. I fall into the opinion catagory! 😉

It's my opinion that I shouldn't offer an opinion on rifle/cartridge choices……stick around and you'll see why! 😂 memtb

I'm looking very hard at the Seekins Havak PH2 in 7PRC myself. It's a lot of gun for the money, and I've yet to see a negative review.

Do you reload? If not, the 7 PRC is very limited with ammo selection, though the Hornady offerings do seem to be somewhat available, but there's really only two bullet choices I think (one match, one hunting). I'm sure selection will get better with time though, as the 7 PRC is gaining popularity fast.

If factory ammo is a concern, perhaps a 7mm Rem Mag would be a good alternative to the PRC. Performance should be pretty much the same, but with lots more ammo choices.

I would say you are on the right path considering a 7mm magnum cartridge. Plenty of horsepower for all big game out to as far as 99% of people can hit what they're aiming at, and recoil on par with a 30-06. It'll be a pussycat compared to a 300 Roy.

I'd sit him down and flat out ask him if he'd like a new rifle or not ,Maybe he like his MKV remodeled and rebarreled or restocked, he might he might not then you know, no hurt feelings,but the surprise would be out of the bag ,these are options nothing signed in stone ,welcome to the forum it's one of the Best ,happy for your families sake ,keep us in the loop ,cheers 🥳

I'm looking to get my dad a new gun for Christmas and want to spend 2k or maybe a little over that on something. My dads got an old mark v in 300 wby that he's shot everything from Alaskan moose to wolves with and he's taken me and my sister on tons of hunts and been successful almost every time and want to get him something nice that'll last him the rest of his life. I've been looking at Seekins Precision HAVAK Pro Hunter or maybe a fierce rogue but not sure exactly what to get. And also not sure what caliber to get it in. I'd like to get it in something that shoots accurate and long range and can take down any big game. But where's he's getting older I don't want to get him something too big that kicks hard. I've been thinking of maybe a 7mm prc. What do you guys think.
The Remington 700 Alpha 1 in 7mag 8T. The 7mag is just big enough without all the extra recoil. The 8T barrel will stabilize 180 gr Berger vld-h or the Barnes 168 LRX solid. Comes with a AG Composite stock and Timney trigger. Nothing else to do except maybe bed the action and rail. Remington got smart and up'd the 7mag twist to 8 so it could shoot high bc bullets, like a 7 prc can. Case volume is almost the same, I think the 7mag holds slightly more. That Havak looks nice as well, 7 prc in that would be sweet too.

I have no doubt that the 7PRC will fill the bill. However, I tend to like the older tried and true offerings. The 7mm Rem. Mag should do everything you want to do and then some. Brass is easy to come by and many dealers keep 7mag in stock. It can be downloaded a bit to where it is very comfortable to shoot as well. The 280 AI is also a very good cartridge if you don't mind fireforming brass or you can actually buy it straight from Nosler. I've seen 3 Christiansen 7 Rem mags here in the last couple of months that shot 1/2 moa or better with very little effort but I don't know exactly what they cost these days. I have a friend that had a 280AI built a few years back and he has been very satisfied.

Yea I've looked at that and maybe a 28 nosler
I own a 280AI and a 7 STW. Love them both. I have brakes on both and they are a joy to shoot. If you want a magnum, go with the 28 Nosler, otherwise the 280AI is a sweet shooter and will kill anything you go after in North America. Obviously you'll get more "oomph" out of the 28 Nosler. I will tell you that my 7 STW is my favorite out of 7 different cartridge chamberings I have (from 6.5 to 338).