Holy Grail of long range rigs? What custom gun/caliber to get

After doing more research and thinking about it more, I want a more traditional bolt gun for my first custom rifle. I'll definitely keep it in mind for future platforms.

Over a year ago I went to place an order for an LRKM after a phone call with Shawn we concluded that it wasn't the best option for my needs. If I was going past 1000 yards, on shots then yes I would have gone with it. But realistically I'm limited to an average max distance of ~6-700 yards in a majority of spots with the furthest possibility being right around 1k given the terrain.

After years of playing around with different cartridges suited for LR and ELR shooting, I have settled on the .338-.408 for my needs. This was the best group out of my old girl, "Eleanor". 3.806" at 1,680 yds. She usually hangs in under 12" at 1,760 yds. I've since reduced barrel length with no appreciable loss in accuracy or velocity. All this at 20lbs.

My .30-.416 Rigby Improved shooting the 240 SMK is a close second.

Attachments

• IMG_1123.jpg
    IMG_1123.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 87
Well i had drank the Koolaid when I purchased a Best of the West 7 mag shooting system that came with extra turrets, couple hundred rounds of shells. load date to reload myself, custom case, Huskamaw scope. The guys there have been awesome to deal with. I have taken only a few animals in canada at 900 yards, but here in Pa ranges are only place I can shoot that far "1000yards".When i got obbessed with long range shooting I purchased a surgeon 6.5 creedmore for shooting at the range. BOTW is my go to rifle for hunting out past 300 yards. so my advice since i was at your position few years ago,I would be buy two guns with one optic for both. only shoot one gun at a time so switching scopes shouldnt be that big of a deal for you. I got euro optics base with quick release mounts on my surgeon for the schmitt bender which I figure I would not need to buy another one, "just switch it on guns". I have helped several friends who wouldnt or couldnt spend the money on the high end guns and we built sendaros and tikkas that have shoot reliable at 1000 yards after load development. when I was shooting my 7 mag every weekend and powder was scarce 70 grains versuse 41 grains with the 6.5 was a big factor for me. I may have been laughed at for buying a $6000 BOTW, but I looked at it as I wasnt just buying the gun i was also buying a set up ready to go since I didnt have the knowledge to do that myself back then. It was easier for me to purchase the package. Buy once cry once is a good rule. Buy the best equipment that fits your budget. I can vouch for the guys at the BOTW and also I have meet Arron Davidson at gunwerks and they seemed very nice when i had questions on my G-7 range finder. So do your home work befor you give any one your hard earned money. Every builder will have issues at some point in time so look at there track records on dealing with them. Good luck

I was in the same critical decision process in 2008/2009. After doing a bunch of research and talking to quite a few gunsmith's I found the holy grail in Joel Russo. He's not only been a great friend for 6+ years, he also backs up his knowledge and expertise with his years in Long Range Shooting. Just surf around this site and others and you'll see my point.

Given Joel's business adventure with Chase Curtis and the type of products they are designing and producing, you should go no further than Curtis Customs Home - Curtis Custom. Not only will you not be disappointed, you'll save yourself a bunch of time searching for the right gun to fit your needs, get to work with quality people, and get the project going.

By the way, i have a 338-408 from Joel and smile every time i pull the trigger!

Jeff

I did something very similiar recently. Sold a lot of my collection and switched to a more "quality vs quantity" mentality. I kept one light sporter weight rifle around however, and I am sure glad I did. I would recommend the same to you. I went with a nice custom (Rbros) in .300 Win Mag and launch the 215 Hybrids just under 3k. It's a hammer on anything, and shoots very very well. I kept mine as light as I could for a long range hammer at 11# 10oz with a 5-25x56 ATACR enhanced on there. Even that is light for a lot of rigs on here, I still end up taking both that and a lighter sporter weight rifle in the truck on most hunts. If I cut fresh tracks and am bailing off in dark timber, I take the light gun. If I don't and work down a ridge looking cross canyon or work a bowl, etc... I take ODIN (the long range hammer). Good luck, lots of competent smiths in MT like you said. But I would consider keeping one of your lightweight rigs. I missed chances at two bulls in the dark timber this year because I had my long range rig and wasn't carrying it in my hands and it took too long to get ready for a shot. If I would have had my LAW in my hands it would have been a dead bull. I echo keeping with .300 Win Mag, and getting some H1000 and Berger 215 Hybrids! Good luck!
I front carry,this pict is my heavier 11+ # rifle,but carry my packer same on the longer hunts,everything close on my belt,bipod ,laser,gps,the binos hang off the shoulder straps on QD's.Shot many game stalking way threw timber with this set up,then I have tools for open country at top

Attachments

• P5310046.jpg
    P5310046.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 92
Joel R didnt Eleanor live in one of your outstanding wood masterpieces? Dont know if I can look at here now.Put over 100 + mountain miles in that bowman jacket I got from you this year.

Joel R didnt Eleanor live in one of your outstanding wood masterpieces? Dont know if I can look at here now.Put over 100 + mountain miles in that bowman jacket I got from you this year.

"Eleanor" was a rush job to get her to a match. I fully intended to black her out, and drop her into a nice piece of wood afterward. Unfortunately, I never made the time to do it.
I'm glad to hear your giving that jacket a work out. It needed to see better scenery than the closet it was in.. Lol.

Ever thought about a system - rifle like f. ex. Blaser R8 with interchangeable barrels?

There you get the opportunity to choose between all kind of calibers from 22LR - to .338 Lapua united in one rifle. Not to mention the heavy duty calibers for safari in Africa etc. Always the same trigger and stock (but numerous variations if requested) top accuracy and reliability. There are many different manufacturers of high reputation out there with a similar kind of system - rifles. In your case and with your preferences I'd choose two barrels, one in .260Rem. another in .300WM, and you're done. If you like to have .338 or what's however later on you just order a barrel and maybe a bolt head in addition. Smooth!

I'm not sure its possible for one gun to meet all those requirements unless you are willing to rebarrel after lots of range time.
I personally chose the .300 Win. Mag. for big game long range hunting, but would also want to own a range/coyote/deer rifle that is a 6.5x47L or similar.
This is my second .300 and I really like this configuration as it comes it at 10 lbs. without glass. McMillan HTG stock and Kreiger RV contour. It was built by Scott at Quarter Minute Magnums in Lewiston, Idaho. This particular gun requires neck turned brass but he will chamber them for factory ammo if you want. I attached a picture of the rifle and a 100 yard target that were shots 2,3,4 from the rifle.

Attachments

• DSC_0101A.jpg
    DSC_0101A.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC_0108A.jpg
    DSC_0108A.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 83
Over the past few years I have had opportunities to own and shoot 338 Snipetac, 375 Cheytac, 338 Lapua, 30-378 Weatherby...They were all amazing, expensive, fun, some difficult to find brass for, and or make brass for, some burnt out barrels like it was their job. A couple of years ago I picked up a 300 Norma, 1:10 twist, 26" barrel. It is by far the most accurate, most capable 2000 yard + cartridge I have ever shot, It loves to eat any bullet I put into it, but the 230 Bergers seem to shine past 1 mile. Every time I take this rifle/caliber out I'm amazed. I have found that less is more. I only run this at 2800 fps using H50 BMG, but the accuracy and 3.5fps ES is worth it. To me, its that much better than the rest. I haven't tried a 338 Norma, which may be even better. All the best with you build.

Nothing work with a semi custom on a Savage platform like you currently have. I have built countless semi customs on Savage actions because I could do it myself for cheap. Below is a picture of one I did on a Savage Axis action in 284, it's an absolute hammer out to a 1000. Haven't had a chance to take it further than that yet. I built the gun to be a kind of do all hunting rifle out to a grand and have not been disappointed with it at all. I sent the action to Fred at SSS to true everything up, added one of his stocks, rifle basix trigger, mcgowen barrel, vortex hst scope, Ken Farrell rings and base, and rolled my own ammo. The gun with scope ready to hunt to hunt is 9 lbs 14 oz and the 284 is very mild recoil. All in I have less than $2500 with glass and everything. That being said I get the full custom thing, I am currently in the process building a 6.5 GAP 4S on one Chase and Joel's new Vector actions, in a manners stock, with a Bartlein barrel, etc, etc and will have well over 6 grand in it with glass. I just wanted you to hear the other side that you can build absolutely great rifle on a Savage platform for a fraction of the cost. If you built on your current Savage rifle you could build two identical guns, one in a 6.5 to practice with and then a 300 or 338 to hunt with. Just my 2 pennies.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.