Holy Grail of long range rigs? What custom gun/caliber to get

Jeremyc

I am seriously considering liquidating my rifle collection to get one custom gun that will do it all. I live in Montana and hunt antelope, deer, elk, black bear, well... basically everything I can. I am thinking that I can't go wrong with a 300 win mag, but also considering a 300 RUM, 338 Lapua, 338 Norma. Basically the sky is the limit. I do not want a barrel burner and I would rather be a bit on the heavy side vs a bit on the lite side. I don't like elk running and currently use a 300 win mag as my elk gun. Here is what I want:
* Something I can shoot comfortably (at the range) - I'll probably muzzle break it
* Something I can suppress
* Something that is 1000 yard capable
* Reasonably economical to shoot. I try to shoot every other weekend so I don't want to burn the barrel or spend lots of money per shot

I like the idea and ballistics of a 300 Norma mag or the 300 RUM but I think that I will burn out the barrel too quickly. I'd prefer it to be a better shooter than a lighter gun. I don't mind packing a bit of weight at this time of my life.

As for custom gun makers, there are many in Montana so I'd like to keep it in state, but can be convinced otherwise. Some I have been looking at are Snowy Mountain Rifles, Montana Rifle Co, Montana precision rifles, Knapps Custom Guns.

I appreciate all of your opinions.

Thanks,
Jeremy

I will step out and say 338. Norma, edge, or lapua. Components may be a hair more expensive but plenty on the receiving end for whatever you shoot. Barrel life should be decent to good also. Next would probably be something to shoot a heavy 7 or 230-215 30 cal. bullet. Good luck, Will be interested in others opinions..

You can't ask me to describe the "Holy Grail" of long range rigs and follow it up with a list of criteria that eliminates he best of the best.
Forget about all those limiting factors. This is what you want:

https://www.barrett.net/firearms/m107a1

E
verything else is just a rifle.

In a perfect world. I just am not sure that I would have any meat left on an antelope or be able to afford to practice with it. Maybe someday!! gun)

Think about the .300 or .340 Weatherby mags. Not that they are my favorites, but in a custom chambered barrel either would "fill the bill" nicely between those you mentioned. 8mm Rem. mag might be another to consider.

Well for all the criteria seems like a 300 Win Mag would do it.

IMO though, I don't think it's a good idea to have just one rifle, if you plan to spend any significant time at the range. The 300 Win barrel will eventually wear out and you want to keep your custom in good shape for hunting. I would do a 300 custom and have a good range/backup rifle like a 308 for the other stuff.

A Desert Tech SRS A1 would meet all the requirements. You can use different barrels from .223 to 338 Lapua depending on your specific needs for a given day. One scope with repeatable zeros for the barrel swaps. Not cheap, but well worth it.

-David

If your going to load your own choose something that Lapua makes brass for. With that being said check out Kirby Allens site and see what he has going on in 30 and 338.gun)................................................:)

You mention the 300 win mag & seem to like it. I would stay right there. If you can't kill it with the 300 win mag, you won't kill it with the 300 ultra. Plain & simple. I was always a smaller caliber nut until I got my 1st 300 win. That cartridge shoots with not much recoil & does not take prisoners. Stick with it!
I am soon rebarreling my 300.
Thanks, Kirk

A 300 Win and a 215 Berger is very yard to beat as a kill all do all set up in Montana, seen many do it. I think the 338 Norma would be on the short list as well running a 250 Berger you'd throw a pounding on them as well as enjoy the barrel life from a moderate 338 Mag.

Thanks for the inputs. I will have to check out some of these options. I mentioned the 300 win mag because I recently got one and killed a few elk with it and am greatly impressed. I really like the performance of the 300 Norma, I'm just afraid that I would have to replace the barrel too soon. Ideally I would have a 260 Remington as a practice range gun, but if I am going to get a custom rifle I have to sell my others. That is the deal with the wife. I have a semi custom savage 260 and a savage 300 win mag I was planning to make matching, but I have a lot of guns that I don't use and I think that I would really like a custom rifle. I would probably eventually (4-5 years) get a practice rifle, but this custom rifle I would like to become very intimate with. If I didn't want to have the ability to kill elk at 700-1000 yards, I would be looking at a 6.5 offering. I think that heavy 30 caliber bullets or 338 caliber bullets will fit what I am looking for. Also, you can only shoot one gun at a time so if I set it up correctly with the optics and get a g7 rangefinder I think it will be better than multiple guns in the safe that I rarely shoot

You want to shoot every other weekend?? I applaud you for your dedication! I firmly believe that lots of trigger time is key. That said, the 300 RUM will disappoint you. Even the 300 win mag you're looking at 1500 rounds of stable barrel life. 1500 rounds goes quick when you're at the range every couple weekends.

I'd get a 308 for the majority of your shooting and a bigger stick for the 1/2 mile elk.

In a perfect world. I just am not sure that I would have any meat left on an antelope or be able to afford to practice with it. Maybe someday!! gun)

Oh!!! You want the Holy Grail of hunting rifles. Sorry I missed that point.
That's easy. If you can afford it (as previously mentioned by Dah650) it'd be the DTA SRS A1 :
DTA SRS-A1 Rifle Chassis - Firearms - Desert Tech

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.