Where to get a custom long range gun for Hawaii

ktc808

Aloha from Hawaii!!
First time posting to this forum but have been lurking for some time trying to get educated on long range hunting :D!! I'm gonna be honest and tell you all I am not too familiar with long range shots!

I am looking to get a my first custom build to hunt here in hawaii. Any recommendations and opinions are greatly appreciated!! I don't have a specific caliber but I will be hunting mainly deer, pigs, and goats. I don't need to shoot 1000 yards but it would be nice to start taking them trophy's from 600-700 yards! I will be hunting mostly from sea level to 2,000 ft. I hunt two to three times a week and do a lot of walking, so a gun on the lighter side would be nice!

Thanks guys!!

First of all welcome to LRH!! I would suggest a factory rifle to start out with in .308 Winchester or a .270 WSM. Use that rifle for practice and hunting and to see if you are going to like doing it. The 308 is going to give you probably the most barrel life of any caliber out there. You are going to be able to get a factory rig for less money and that will allow you to put more money into the glass that it will wear. Then once you get proficiant with that then you can either have it rebarreled or get that custom rig we all would love to have. Custom rifles are nice but for a beginer you will definatly be further ahead I think. I started out with a 308 win and learned allot during that time. I have since had a rifle built, and I still have my factory rifle except it has been rechambered to 300 WSM. Good luck with your search and welcome to the addiction!!

Thanks for the welcoming! Forgot to mention that I've been hunting for as long as I can remember, im 22 but hunt quite a bit. Don't quite have the experience most guys on here have but it is what is haha :D. I have a bunch of factory guns including the calibers you mentioned...a 300 wsm christensen arms, 270 wsm tikka t3, and a 308 tikka. I love my 270WSM and I have shot a couple deer out at 500 yards but idk if it was luck or what but i wanna get a custom gun that i could be killing them consistently!!

Welcome to the group. Buy a custom .270 Winchester caliber. For the game you mentioned it will do you fine. If for some reason you want a bigger caliber...go for a 30-06 then.

All you really need to do is put a good quality scope on your best shooter and practice dialing in the scope for the ranges that you want to shoot to and your good to go! But if you have your heart set on a custom rig that's cool too. You can have rifles built by anyone and they then can ship it to an FFL holder of your choosing. You can check out the sponsor pages on the sight and you can contact any of them for info!! They may even be able to point you to a smith in Hawaii!! Another thing you can do is check with a local gun shop near you and ask them of any smiths that do rifle builds. That is probably where I would start.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.