6.5 Creedmor- the Holy Grail?

"Holy Frail", the needsmore is not considered that by anyone who has two brain cells left functioning !! Purely a buy me promotion that worked to some extent..it can do nothing my .260 or 7mm/08 couldn't do so much better...it will not pass the test of time, just like the rest of these newfangled promotional cartridges....
Can't say it's the best thing ever but to say it won't do anything better than a 7mm/08 is not accurate. In my opinion both are so close to each other it shouldn't matter. It's like guys that say you can't use a creedmore for elk but a 7mm/08 is fine they are very close to each other and shot placement and bullet choice is always the most important.

I have :
1.) 6.5 CM Ruger Precicion rifle for competition and love it.
2.) re-barreling my 308 Savage 99 C lever action to 6.5 CM for better ballistics and improved downrange energy.
3.) 6.5 PRC Browning X-bolt Pro mountain rifle (Better for elk than 6.5 CM.)
Eric B.

So all my bases are covered.

2.) is sacrilege

I agree with the other two. I have a tikka 6.5CM tactical in a manners PRS stock. It's getting Cerakote in the SS, then I'm mounting up the bushnell DMRII Pro on. Pretty excited.

300whisper,
I put a Bushnell Elite scope on my 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt (LRTS 4.6 - 18x44 W/ illuminated G3 reticle) and a Bushnell ERS 3.5 - 21 x 50 on my 6.5 CM Ruger Precision Rifle.

Bushnell makes very good scopes that won't break your budget. Not sure I'd buy a Chinese made Forge model though "because China".

Yeah, about the Savage 99, I've thought long and hard about that and am only 60% leaning toward the 6.5 CM barrel. Tell me why that's wrong. I might be persuaded.
Eric B.

300whisper,
I put a Bushnell Elite scope on my 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt (LRTS 4.6 - 18x44 W/ illuminated G3 reticle) and a Bushnell ERS 3.5 - 21 x 50 on my 6.5 CM Ruger Precision Rifle.

Bushnell makes very good scopes that won't break your budget. Not sure I'd buy a Chinese made Forge model though "because China".

Yeah, about the Savage 99, I've thought long and hard about that and am only 60% leaning toward the 6.5 CM barrel. Tell me why that's wrong. I might be persuaded.
Eric B.

I had a savage model 99. When I think 99 I think like 30-30, 250 savage, .303 savage, .32-40, etc...when I think 6.5CM I just solely think PRS gun. Its a mental block. I have an LRTSi on my long range AR. Using it for an upcoming comp.

Not excited about their new offerings from bushnell. I am glad they kept thier flagship and came out with the XRSIII and DMRIII though. The LRHS and LRTS are much nicer scopes than the Forge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric B.
Uhhh because you are desecrating all that is loved about the lever actions, even a Savage! Time tested and reliable cartridges not hipster, pronoun type cartridges.

I'm just saying.... 😉

300whisper,

Yeah, about the Savage 99, p PppPP I've thought long and hard about that and am only pppp60% Pi leaning toward the 6.5 CM ppppbarrel. Tell me pp that'sppp wrong. I might be persuaded.
Eric B.
Because it's a classic, do a fast twist 250-3000 or 25 creedmoor in flavour of the 250savage

For me, I'd have no issues taking elk or moose with a creedmoor. Growing up, I always used my grandpa's 270win. Everyone I new and hunted with used a 270. When I was old enough, I saved and bought myself a 30-06. I still love that gun. It's been great through the years. I didn't know anyone that shot a magnum rifle though. The 243 was another one people used. I figure there is a 0.013" difference in hole size between a 6.5 and a 270 and 0.024" to a 7mm. Not much of a difference. We never saw much point in a magnum. Also, never really shot critters out past 250-300yards. Perhaps that's why we never used magnums.

I also have to say, I'm just not a big fan of Hornady bullets. I used to use the SST in my muzzleloader, they shot really nice. I had to switch though. I was having expansion issues with the ones I did recover. Since then, I haven't bought anything with Hornady bullets in them. I switched over to the Barnes loads now. Also loaded some Hammers. Haven't killed anything with them yet though. We'll see.

Just my opinion though and I don't know s#$& from a hole in the ground. 😜