What to build…7SAUM or 7 RUM

Between the two my choice would be the RUM. You don't have a short action 284 yet but the 7 Rem and 7 PRC seem very close. The RUM is definitely over powered for a deer rifle but I understand. I just bought a 300 RUM this week so I'm a little biased.Best advice I have seen is go on a hunt instead and have a blast, like dogz said.
Good luck with your new rifle,
Jason
Dallas Lane is building me a 300RUM as we speak!

You were posting while I was writing so sorry about not having the time for a hunt. It's easier for me to purchase a rifle instead of a hunt I understand.
Jason

Now you have my interest please tell me the specifics of your rifle and lead time. I should have had him build me a rifle 7 years ago but went with GAP instead.😢 My GAP is awesome and everything I wanted but my buddy was in the process of Dallas building him one and it took along time. Lesson learned.
Jason

Saum brass is hard to find. Maybe it will get better in the future. But it's hard to find good brass like ADG. You can find it but it takes a lot of work looking for it.
the 280ai is a really nice cartridge. Have friends that have them and love them.
with that I spent 2 years gather ADG brass, reamers, and components for a saum and the gun is at the dealer now being put together.
the only reason I didn't do a 280ai is I had a tikka with a magnum action that I'm using and I'm patient with getting parts. The 280 is easy to shoot and doesn't kick bad.

Now you have my interest please tell me the specifics of your rifle and lead time. I should have had him build me a rifle 7 years ago but went with GAP instead.😢 My GAP is awesome and everything I wanted but my buddy was in the process of Dallas building him one and it took along time. Lesson learned.
Jason
BAT HR action Diamond Fluted
Proof Sendero 26" 9.4 Twist
AG K2 Stock
Bix N Andy Tac Sport Pro
I believe he originally said 8+ months

Now hearing the specific of the 300 RUM you probably don't need a 7 and 300 RUM. The 7 saum would be a better choice. Please post pics when you get your rifle, his paint jobs are second to none. The best part is the way it will shoot.
Have fun with your new rifle project.
Jason

Build the 7saum on a long action. Call and put you a backorder in for saum brass. They are making a run on the brass probably before you get your components. 7saum is probably one of the easiest to load for, fun to shoot cause it will make you look good. You already have a 28 Nosler not far off the 7rum at all. You will find you shoot the saum a lot. You can build it yourself with a prefit depending on your action. Put one together last week for a friend. Shot his first 1/2" groups at 300 yards in his life. Great cartridge.....let us know which way you go. Can't go wrong with any of them.

Build the 7saum on a long action. Call and put you a backorder in for saum brass. They are making a run on the brass probably before you get your components. 7saum is probably one of the easiest to load for, fun to shoot cause it will make you look good. You already have a 28 Nosler not far off the 7rum at all. You will find you shoot the saum a lot. You can build it yourself with a prefit depending on your action. Put one together last week for a friend. Shot his first 1/2" groups at 300 yards in his life. Great cartridge.....let us know which way you go. Can't go wrong with any of them.
I should have considered brass availability.....Most of my components can be had in 7-14 days. I doubt I can get brass in that time frame. :(

Take a 300 PRC and make it a 7PRC on a long action. Why? Wildcats are FUN!!!
We have experience making this exact round and with the high BC bullet offerings, it gives us the best of all worlds. We made it years ago now and its doing everything we hoped it would.

All we did is take the current 300PRC case/reamer print and neck it to 7mm and give it more freebore. Tons of components available, super easy to neck it down, super easy to make it run without worrying about case capacity, bullet seating, and overpressure issues at 90% plus case fill.

Running RL25 and currently 180 bergers at 3098 fps with plenty of room to go faster. With the BAT action, weighs about the same as some short actions and feeds perfectly.

Getting close to 7RUM velocities in a case that is more efficient. Able to run longer bullets without having to find/use a medium action like some of the SAUM issues and feeds better. With OTC rifle makers dont offer, to run long high BC bullets.

Take a 300 PRC and make it a 7PRC on a long action. Why? Wildcats are FUN!!!
We have experience making this exact round and with the high BC bullet offerings, it gives us the best of all worlds. We made it years ago now and its doing everything we hoped it would.

All we did is take the current 300PRC case/reamer print and neck it to 7mm and give it more freebore. Tons of components available, super easy to neck it down, super easy to make it run without worrying about case capacity, bullet seating, and overpressure issues at 90% plus case fill.

Running RL25 and currently 180 bergers at 3098 fps with plenty of room to go faster. With the BAT action, weighs about the same as some short actions and feeds perfectly.

Getting close to 7RUM velocities in a case that is more efficient. Able to run longer bullets without having to find/use a medium action like some of the SAUM issues and feeds better. With OTC rifle makers dont offer, to run long high BC bullets.
What's your barrel length?
I keep telling myself if I ever put another wildcat 7mm together it'd be a 7-300 PRC, it really seems to be a sweet spot capacity wise between a 7 RM and 28 Nos/RUM.
I'm super disappointed with what Hornady did to the 7 PRC

What's your barrel length?
I keep telling myself if I ever put another wildcat 7mm together it'd be a 7-300 PRC, it really seems to be a sweet spot capacity wise between a 7 RM and 28 Nos/RUM.
I'm super disappointed with what Hornady did to the 7 PRC
I did a 25" bbl.
I thought Hornady missed an opportunity too. All good, we can do it on our own

I should have considered brass availability.....Most of my components can be had in 7-14 days. I doubt I can get brass in that time frame. :(

Do a 7mm Sherman short on a short action. Rich should have brass, dies now. Bunch of smiths have reamers.