7saum build help

ramrod79

Guys I could use some help here, I have had a custom 7SAUM build going on since January it was supposed to be my light weight LR hunting rig. The other day my smith called ,and said he is having trouble finding a SAUM reamer, and wanted to know if i wanted to wait or go with a 7WSM or a 284, to say the least I am dissapointed ! Should I wait for the 7 SAUM reamer or just go with a 7WSM ? I had my reasons for the 7SAUM but I do not want to be trying to work up a load just be fore hunting season starts (only 4.5 months away). Anyone have any thoughts on this for me as I told him I would wait for one more month and let him know.

4D Reamer Rentals still has the reamer, I believe. But, this might be a good time to think about it. 7 saum brass
has been ridiculously difficult to find at any price.

284 is very close in performance. 284 improved gives the same performance as 7 saum.
And brass is more available, if $1.00 ea. works for you.
7 wsm is a bigger dog and brass is cheaper.
Reloading dies are all the same price, apples to apples.
Long action or short? cartridge length may help you with the final decision.
IMO you will be better served with one of those three choices.

Choices for brass have been Remington 7 saum and Nosler 300 saum, and
Remington seems to have lost interest.
7 wsm or 7 / 300 wsm are my choices for rechambering if saum brass
continues to play hide and seek.. But then I'll have 7 saum dies and 100 brass to get rid of........:D

The last poster has some good advice, buy 6.5x284 lapua brass and neck it up to 284win, if the 284 is throated long enough it can move 180 Bergers at 3000fps and 168s at 3100 from a 28"+ barrel which leaves you at about 2900 and 3000 with a 26-27" barrel.

Imo the 7wsm is to hard on barrels, well mainly the throat, the 7x270wsm is a better choice, and with Norma brass being consistent you could do a no neck turn chamber and just expand norma 270wsm brass up to 7mm. On another note the 7wsm setup right can push the 180s at over 3100fps, just a few things more to think about.

Thanks guys I am still not sure though gun is juat waiting on reamer , I have 200 new brass 7saum , and due to using a SA i am limited but the 284 improved does sound tempting though .

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.