280ai build help

bguin

So my buddy is wanting to build a 280ai. he will be using a bartlein 3b barrel, stiller predator action, jewell, and McMillan hunter stock. He is trying to decide if he wants to go with the standard fill or carbon? Will it be barrel heavy if he goes carbon? How will it handle recoil? Neither of us have ever had a 280ai so we don't know what to expect recoil wise. He will be shooting it suppressed mostly. Thanks in adance

Recoil on a 280AI will be very manageable. Mine has a Sendero contour barrel which is a little over half a pound heavier than your 3B. Without the brake it is a very easy shooting rifle, think 243 featherweight. With the brake I can almost see bullet holes appear, not quite but I'm right there.

Carbon fill will make if more barrel heavy naturally. It's all up to personal preference. With that 4lb barrel I would be tempted to go with the standard fill. JM2C gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.