help...rifle build

htime8

hello everyone
im new to this site but have been reading for months. I've hunted my whole life but have never built a rifle so this is all very new to me. My question is... i am looking at building a 308 with a remington action and a pacnor barrel. I would like to keep this a light weight gun for out west or the flat lands of ND. What contour of parcor barrel would you guys recommend. I don't want an ultra thin one but also not a bull barrel...and would you guys flute it or not....ill take any advice i can get!!

For me personally you leave the light weight range as soon as you get to a #5 contour, anything under that would be a good choice. This of coarse depends on stock, optics, and accessory choices.

If you're looking to keep things light any weight reduction options help, this includes fluting so I wouldn't hesitste for one second to get it done.

Chris

Thanks Chris for the reply that helps out alot.
I was also wondering if i should go with a stainless steal or a chrome moly. I dont really know the differences between the two.

jason

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.