What should my next caliber be?

smtippin

I have a 7 rem mag that I shoot comfortably out to 500 yards or so for big game hunting. I am looking for another rifle to span the gap between a 223 and 7mag. My goal would be to use this rifle on light skinned game such as deer or antelope ethically out to 300 yards minimum. I do reload but prefer to avoid obscure calibers. I've been looking at .243 but keep looking at a .308 for some reason. I know, I know...wrong direction in many ways. Thoughts please, I am limited to internet research and reloading manuals for advice at this point. Your expertise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
s

smtippin

Your going to get a ton of opinions on this subject!

Mine: 243 because it is just enough larger than a 556 and just enough smaller than a 7mmRM. The 6mm has decent deer sized game bullets and the 243 has enough velocity with 100 - 105 grain bullets to shoot to 500 yards easy with those bullets.

That said there are a ton of calibers just on the 308 case that would work fine.

You should own one of each just 'cause....LOL!

KB

243 because factory ammo is between per your parameters.

Hand loads are as capable are you are.

I like to use the 6.5 Creedmoor. That bridges the gap between the calibers you mentioned. Really any 6.5 caliber rifle would fit your bill nicely. It really all depends on what your looking for.

I would recommend the 260 Remington or the 7/08. the 260 is a 6,5x308 and the 7/08 is also based on the 308.

Both are moderate cartridges that are capable of fine accuracy and 500+ yard kills on deer and speed goats.

Although not as powerful as the 7 mag they are better suited for deer sized game. Recoil is mild and the bullet selection is great.

I use my 7/08 for everything from Turkeys and varmints to deer and hogs.

J E CUSTOM

Lots of GOOD choices. Some are just better than others. .243 is a good choice as mentioned above. 25-06 will get it done and is also a good choice. I think that the best is the 6.5 choices. Better BC's on the bullets. Great bullet selection. Then you just need to choose the 6.5 that you like the best. Lots of great choices to choose from. 6.5X47 is very mild yet deadly. J.E. Custom had it right on the .260 Rem. The Creedmoor is also a great choice. Lots of people love the 6.5X284. I shoot a 6.5-06 and its a great caliber. To go faster look at the Sherman or the SAUM. Good luck Bruce

My suggestion is a 6.5 caliber cartridge. Preferably 260 remington or 6.5/284. Excellent BC bullets and both cartridges out perform the 308 in every catagory ballistically.

Good choice would be 6.5x284 and expand the neck to .284

It will become as straight 284. You can use the same bullet .284 on 284 brass but much less recoil and very accurate to 500 yards.

25 '06 or 270. Either can be loaded mild with varmint bullets for the little stuff and turned up enough to be decent deer thumpers. If short action is your desire, 260 rem, 257 roberts, or 25wssm.

The 223 is perfect out to 600 yards. Alls you have to do is shoot heavier bullets. I shoot the 77 grain bullets and they are great. This is a long range websight I think you should be thinking bigger and longer shooting. Get a 300 Norma mag. Extremely versital you can shoot a 100 grain hollow point all the way up to a 240 smk. Should cover all your needs.

You just don't know how much you're missing some kind of 6.5 until you have one

6.5-06 or a 6.5. Saum would be my suggestion. 140 Bergers at 3000 to about 3080 between the two.

Or you could get a 6.5 Prometheus and blow them all right out of the water! 140's @ 3700 fps. Shoots like a laser beam! Just have to be prepared to replace barrels.....:D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.